Unused The Wolverine cowl

Very cool! I see Marvel's costumed Billion dollar Avenger movie has Fox studios rethinking some things... :D

It needs a chin strap to hold it on. Like Captain America's helmet in his movie. Otherwise it looks like Birdman.

It says 1975 armor. I suppose at the end credits of the Wolverine they were suppose reveal the costume to Logan. Tying it into X-men days of future past.

"This was your uniform Logan."
~Gasp!~

Seeing this is for the 75' X-men. Maybe then they hide their faces so they would not be arrested for illegal activity? Like trashing Sentinel factories?

Last edited:
Originally, Wolverine wore the mask as part of his wrestling costume. He did it for money. Same concept as Spiderman's costume.

Sorry but your wrong.

Wolverine was never a wrestler, unlike how the movies shown , he was a government agent and it was through Department H and the weapon X program he got his costume. It was given to him by James Hudson the original Guardian after he was found in the wilderness and reabilitated to "become" a man again . It was after his return to society he was given the name wolverine and the yellow and blue suit. It was nothing about money or fame for him.

The bar scene in the first X-film botched that pretty badly.

I could've sworn the wrestling thing was from one of his initial appearances in the Hulk, or something. I'm not deriving any information from the movies.

Nope, it was a gift from Guardian after Logan joined Deartment H. He was origainally to lead them but he quit before alpha flight was really formed to join the X-men.

Wolverine (comics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wolverine (James "Logan" Howlett) - Marvel Comics Database

Wolverine (Character)

I am a virtual encylopedia when it comes to comic book history. There is very little I do not know.

(Grammar on the other hand I do tend to make mistakes on . That and contractions and the proper use of them.) :)

The pic has since been pulled. Someone jumped the gun. ;)

I think it's a very cool look. And it could work in a movie. Writers are supposed to be creative and could find some way to make it work. I like it without the chin strap. More of a helmet feel. Presumably the chin portion would be covered by a hood/cowl.

The pic has since been pulled. Someone jumped the gun. ;)

I think it's a very cool look. And it could work in a movie. Writers are supposed to be creative and could find some way to make it work. I like it without the chin strap. More of a helmet feel. Presumably the chin portion would be covered by a hood/cowl.

to be honest guys I've made the cowl and studied it for a bit
The longer I looked at it the more it reminded me of a shogun like mask.
Its good and it serves it function, I believe it might have been introduced for logan to distance himself from the wolverine.
Like when the mask is off he is logan, but when it's on he's the wolverine.

Shogun/samurai masks were like that to distance people from their inner demon (hence the mempo/mouthpiece always looking demonic)

And Coofunkycurly I believe they wouldve done a hood or cowl like thing, not a captain america like helmet but a seperate piece.

Deathgrey...

Was wondering where you got the idea that menpo were made to separate the owner from the owner while in armour? I've been deeply interested in both Japanese culture, history, and martial arts for well over 20 years now, and came to Japan to study one of the oldest Ryuha (martial schools) still being taught here, so I've heard a fair few of the arguments made over time, but this one's a first for me....Menpo and the helmets made and used by bushi were intended to strike fear into those they fought (by being over the top, or using an angry face pattern, or demonic, and connected to the buddhist ideas around hell and those in it...Or animals...), as well as inspire those on their own side, and allow fairly easy and quick recognition to those in command and under the person wearing the mask...

I was wondering where the idea you mention came from, because it's not one I've heard before...And I guess I would know....If anyone would....

Thanks!

I have a few questions about the armor if anyone can help out.
The designer says the suit was 3D printed with no cloth or leather. The box is obviously a prop. Is this actually a suit or a prop that looks like a suit in a box?

Best guess it was probably made for an "after credit" or end scene of the film where he would have opened the box to reveal the costume.

Deathgrey...

Was wondering where you got the idea that menpo were made to separate the owner from the owner while in armour? I've been deeply interested in both Japanese culture, history, and martial arts for well over 20 years now, and came to Japan to study one of the oldest Ryuha (martial schools) still being taught here, so I've heard a fair few of the arguments made over time, but this one's a first for me....Menpo and the helmets made and used by bushi were intended to strike fear into those they fought (by being over the top, or using an angry face pattern, or demonic, and connected to the buddhist ideas around hell and those in it...Or animals...), as well as inspire those on their own side, and allow fairly easy and quick recognition to those in command and under the person wearing the mask...

I was wondering where the idea you mention came from, because it's not one I've heard before...And I guess I would know....If anyone would....

Thanks!

I got this from my grandfather, he was raised in japan.
so I liked it with wolverine, would make a lot of sence seeing he is in fact really Budo minded.
Love respect honor and hate.
But he doesnt want to fight but is forced to.
so dunno might just be me who sees the link :p

I got this from my grandfather, he was raised in japan.
so I liked it with wolverine, would make a lot of sence seeing he is in fact really Budo minded.
Love respect honor and hate.
But he doesnt want to fight but is forced to.
so dunno might just be me who sees the link :p

I see....Well, unless you're over 60, I suspect that would mean that your grandfather was born after the Meiji era had started....Sometime in the 1900's, or late 1800's...Not before 1868..Right? This would mean that he was raised with the same mistakes, and glorification of the Samurai past that modern Japan now has among those who don't choose to read more on the subject.....

I'm not implying that your Grandfather knew it was wrong...I'm sure that's what he was told...But it's not the truth either.....And aside from his statement relayed by you, it's not something I've heard put out there by anyone else in the field.....Which again, isn't to imply he mislead you...Just that he may have formed his own idea based on some loose teaching when he was a child...That's all..

Many of the ideals of the samurai that are thrown around today are fanciful and wishful thinking more than being based in fact, something that isn't especially bad, but also allows the transmission of these fables to be passed on as "fact", when it's just dreaming....Much of it, in fact, stems from Inazo Nitobe's book "Bushido", which was written by a man with a heavy Christian background, who reimagined the Samurai as an "Arthurian" legend...And again, used less facts than imagination in his ideology.....

It's a little sad all in all really, but I guess that there is a large place for the imagination in what we think about the past...And as long as it's seen as such, no harm done....

For the record though, in all the literature I've read, in all the interviews I've had with men who make the armour here in Japan still, and in all the teachings given to me by my teacher in a martial arts school that dates back to 1532, I've never heard it put like this at all..

Regards....And thanks for the information!

The Japanese style ribbons acting as hinges for the box, suggest that it may have been a gift from the Yashida corporation.

That was my thought too...There's no denying the kamon (Japanese family crests) on the box hinges..The one interesting thing I was trying to find, was one that was the same as the kamon worn in the movie by the Yashida family members...And the kamon for them is different...It might not mean much...But if it was a gift from a Japanese family of that position, it would be their families emblem that was displayed....So I suspect that it was something thought about, but not in any great depth.....If they had, they'd have chosen the same crest...

I suspect....

Man I wish they would have kept that! I think its funny that folks said "you're not gonna see a mask in The Wolverine!". Well almost.

Very cool. Wish I could get a couple more angles of that thing. Love to make myself a display just like that. Anyone know anything about the box? Is that a found item?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back