Resident Evil NEMESIS original costume! (display project)

TomSpinaDesigns

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

Posting these pics up for Wesley aka Wickedprops... it's his latest (screen used) acquisition and my latest bit of custom display work.

It seems each costume he sends me for a custom mannequin or display gets bigger and bigger!This one tops off at about 6'10" when all's said and done... on top of that, the costume alone weighs nearly 100 pounds! Pics just can't convey how HUGE this guy is!

That weight was the real challenge on this one. It needed a display that would support the massive, heavy costume w/o toppling over and crushing someone! Generally, I try to avoid the "pipe up the center" on displays but in some cases it can't be helped. So for this display, a 2" diameter iron pipe and a heavy-duty flange serve as a center support for the massive character. The 36" round base is thick wood stained to a dark brown with gloss luster.

For the most part, the costume was complete (and very fortunately had a chest and head cast of the original actor to work with). I created the base and support, and completed the body, arms and legs. One toeplate was missing so I created a reproduction to replace it. As a finishing touch, I added a realistic eye and socket to peer out of the mask as if the actor was wearing it and complete the character.

More info about this sort of work can be found on my site in the Custom Mannequin Movie Prop Displays page of the Custom Services section....

http://www.TomSpinaDesigns.com

Lastly, I wanna note that this costume/character is really an incredible piece. Congrats to Wes on the pickup, as the detail and artistry of the original costume and silicone head/chest/shoulders are all quite wonderful!

Thanks,
Tom

Nemesis5.JPGNemesisDisplayWEB.jpg

Last edited:
I love that display, The costumes in the resident evil films have always been cool but this one is something special.

Ah, this brings back memories. Had quite the adventure working on this costume for the film. You did an excellent job displaying it!

Some pics from the lab:

20A.jpg

18.jpg

Rich

I remember reading in some magazine when the movie came out that they destroyed all the costumes.

I am very very glad that the didn't :). This is a favorite of mine, and it looks friggin sweet!!!!

One hell of a job man. Take a pic of something nearby so we can scale out how massive that thing really is!

thanks guys!

Glad to see some of the guys who created it chime in too :)

As for the scale of it... I'll try to snap a pic with a human by him so you can get a sense of it.

Of course, the wood base in the photos is 3 feet in diameter, so that can give you a pretty good sense of just how big he is!

Tom

Wow! Amazing work Tom :thumbsup

A custom mannequin 'makes' a costume display IMO... it's really important to show a screen-used costume in the context we see it in the movie, otherwise it's just a 'pile of clothes'... :p
And this looks like it just stepped out of the screen!

Cheers,
John

It's funny, even though I didn't really care for the movie, I am really impressed by the sculpting on this chap! Love the "behind the scenes" pics and you did an awesome job with the display, as always, Tom! :)

Always love to see these!
-B89! :D

Wow! Amazing work Tom :thumbsup

A custom mannequin 'makes' a costume display IMO... it's really important to show a screen-used costume in the context we see it in the movie, otherwise it's just a 'pile of clothes'... :p
And this looks like it just stepped out of the screen!

Cheers,
John

Thanks John! That's really it, isn't it? Keeping things as original but making the display a real "character" and not just a costume. With a creature like this, it's really the ideal way to go.

Thanks to all for the kind words :)

Tom

Thanks Tom for putting this up. My company, Paul Jones Effects Studio, was responsible for the creation of this (and three other) costumes for the movie. I personally sculpted the head and painted the entire costume. I let go of the costume a few years back, nice to see it go to a good home and displayed so well.

Wow, I'm a very big fan of the RE:A Nemesis and what you've done is incredible work.

What other costumes did you work on for the movie?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back