Laser Blast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys I designed it and the makeup. I talked about the parts in the first post or maybe second. I should have more pictures next week I hope from Paul. As I recall I used a bleach bottle and sculpted the barrel onto it and made a plaster mold and cast up a barrel with the bleach bottle that has that handle.

Steve

Thanks for sharing Steve! I have "Laserblast" coming on DVD from Netflix. I haven't seen it in years. I'm really looking forward to watching it again. I have one of those Billiken alien figures. One of the first garage kits that I ever got. It's a nice piece.

I have one of those too and I'm not sure about that store but it might be true. But it is identical. I have one too. Bob burns gave it to me. Where did you find the old panel? I remember that set well when Dave was building it and animating. I was always around his studio in those days. I worked for Dave off and one for years after. We gave each other work all the time. He was a good man.

Thanks guys,

Steve

I got the CP years ago on Ebay and the alien casting from someone at one of the Wonderfest shows. The graphics are actually drawn on paper that is backlit behind the panel. I'm curious as to why the neck on the casting is so smooth.

The pic of the gun in the grass: Almost to the tip of the gun, under one of the silver tubes facing the camera - is that a piece of the Space 1999 Eagle Transporter model??!!

Cool stuff!

Thanks for sharing!

I made a master and glued resin half domes to it then cast the whole thing in silicone. Then cast a polyester resin clear casting with the lights embedded as I recall.

Thanks guys,

Steve

Steve just a couple of quick questions and forgive me if I read your reply wrong -

For the necklace you said you made a master - did you just fabricate a design or did you make a master of something - as I said before, it looks like a grenade, or something - did you just come up with a weird look and embed the lights? I was looking at this clip -
LASERBLAST 1978 PART 3 - YouTube
What was the chain made of?

You also stated that the shirt you wore as the Alien criminal during the beginning was a Logan's Run shirt - I watched it today and the shirt was Blue with a black collar -- ? So I take it - it's not a Sandman shirt?

I soooo want to try my hand at making a gun and necklace but just ant to make sure I understand as much as I can of what went into it.

Thanks Steve- by the way, the Alien getup you wore at the beginning is still pretty cool, I think. It looks Trek TOS.

I just made up a sort of diamond shape and yes the lights were embedded. The chain was vinyl tubing painted silver. No it wasn't a sandman shirt. I don't think. And it was a kind of blue gray really and black.

Wonderfest huh? And yes that's right. That's how we all did things in those days. By the seat of our pants. The neck was smooth on what? Not sure what you mean.

I will tell you one thing. Many times I was criticized for the lack of green on the rest of Kim's body. That was my call but the directors when he found out how long it takes to make the actor up. He postulated the necklace only effected him from the neck up. Always came back to bite me not him.

And yes that was from an Eagle. Those kits were expendable in those days. ;)
Steve

Say Steve,
Do you remember what the handle was made from or has that already been answered and I missed it?
LaserBlastGun2.jpg

I wish I did but I bought it at the surplus store. I remember I hooked a cable to it and it opened the nozzle baffles. I'm hoping Paul turns up some pictures that have close ups. He shot quite a few on this day on my front lawn.

Steve

Everything lighted up. No video from those days. Video cams crude in the 70s.

It wasn't a label maker but it was metal I remember that. It might have been a wire stripper?

Steve

How was your makeup done? Was that a full head mask? Latex or foam rubber or what? It looks really good - especially for thirty years ago on no budget. Or was it something you had handy?

Thanks for sharing.

-Mike J.

I pulled a life mask on my head. Pulled back plates off the forehead, nose and cheeks and made foam latex prosthetics. I did a lot of that type of work in those days Mike. Even Nimoy's ears for TMP.

Steve

Wonderfest huh? And yes that's right. That's how we all did things in those days. By the seat of our pants. The neck was smooth on what? Not sure what you mean.

Steve

Wonderfest is a modeling convention held annually in Louisville, KY WonderFest USA - A Weekend of Fun for Movie and Model Fans!

I was referring to the neck of the creature. I've gone through the movie frame by frame and I can't match up any details to the casting I have.

I know about Wonderfest I will get out there one of these days. John Berg sculpted the creatures and I don't recall them being smooth at all and having lots of details.

Steve

Thank you for all the information Steve - you know if I could go back in time and tell my 10yrold self on day you'll write to the man who built that gun you love so much - I wouldn't have believed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back