FINALLY! I am going to get an in depth tour of the Walt Disney Archives...

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_eli

I managed to score some passes thanks to Disney Rewards to view the archives. Funny since I work there, but the Archives team is so tough to get passed.

If there is anything you may need a good view of, please let me know and if I see it, I will take photos.

The first films that come to mind are Pirates of the Caribbean, The Rocketeer and 20,00 Leagues Under the Sea (1954). With all due respect to fans of the others, I think that 20,000 Leagues is comparatively poorly documented.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit also rings a bell as being something of a 'sleeper hit' around here.

Ooh, The Black Hole, too, I think has some fans :)

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Thanks for your generous offer, thanks for making things public, and have a good time!

-Mike J.

If you mean the archives in California at the Disney Studios in Burbank, I think you'll find out they won't allow photos to be taken, hope they changed that though. I would love to know what happened to the 11 foot Filming miniature of the Nautilus we restored and they took back to California for D23..
Cheers,
Will

Definitely Maximilian from the Black Hole. Specifically his hands, the area where the arms meet the shoulder, and his "feet"

I own one of the cars from the 1997 Herbie made-for-TV flick and a car I threw together from stunt wrecks from the 2005 Lindsay Lohan Herbie flick "Herbie: Fully Loaded". Anything you can find from or about those two films (or any of the other four possessed VW flicks) would be a big help.

Thanks!

--Brian

If it's the Archives facility on the lot, then it is likely the offices in the Frank Wells building. The ground floor Archive/Library has a nice area for displays - cases, bookshelves and the like. I get the impression that some stuff is permanent and some stuff rotates. This area is open to anyone who happens to be on the lot.

Upstairs is another office. Not quite as formal or accessible. More of a storage area with these cool rolling shelves that allow you to cram a lot of stuff into a small area (like we all need). Vincent and a Humanoid seemed to be on long-term display there, as was some maquettes from Narnia and a Rocketeer backpack.

The Palomino was there one time that I was on the lot for unrelated business and stopped by. The next time - it was gone. I get the impression that there is an off-site storage facility where all the bigger stuff, or the items in long-term storage, are kept. I somehow imagine that place to be like the warehouse at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark", 'cept with ears........

I have a feeling that it's a crap shoot - you'll see what they have out. Either way, I really like going to that lot in general and the Archives in particular. Have fun.

You got it Sarni. I have a huge list guys, and will snap what i can. I got a list of where I will be going, and I will be in the office where the Narnia wardrobe is, etc and also a warehouse. Thats it, I am wearing baggy pants! :lol:lol

I heard that somewhere in those Archives is an Unused "Rocketeer 2" Script that details a battle between Cliff and a Flying Nazi, I'd love to read a copy of that Script is anyone finds a copy!!!

I heard that somewhere in those Archives is an Unused "Rocketeer 2" Script that details a battle between Cliff and a Flying Nazi, I'd love to read a copy of that Script is anyone finds a copy!!!

Yea that would be pretty sweet to see...

I'm always up for seeing stuff that wasn't used for what ever reason...

I visited the off-site archives in Burbank a couple of times about six years ago. It was iin a nondescript, gated building. I worked with someone who knew school the guy that ran the facility. At the time, believe it or not, Disney was just starting to get serious about archiving things. They were still going through boxes of stuff.

I'll never forget opening a drawer and seeing the glass background plates from Pinocchio. At one point, one of the guys said "Look in that box" - inside were pencil sketches from Steamboat Willie.

HH

I have been fortunate enough to visit the archieves several times and get really behind the scenes. The 20,000 leagues stuff, and maquette collection is where I spent several hours. Dave Smith and gang have done an increble job, but as someone else mentioned the archieving has only really been taken seriously for the past 10 years or so. Of course the clothing collection, ie Mary Poppins, is exceptional also along with the life mask castings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back