Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Apr 6, 2013, 8:59 PM - Do your screen used props have prop house ID on it? #1

How many of you own screen used items that have the prop house's inventory number on it? Does this add to the value to the piece in terms of adding further provenance that the piece was screen used?
    From
    SoCal aka The Valley
    Apr 6, 2013, 9:28 PM - Re: Do your screen used props have prop house ID on it? #2

I hate that......just like getting stuff signed, but worse........
    From
    Atlanta
    Apr 6, 2013, 9:48 PM - Re: Do your screen used props have prop house ID on it? #3

Absolutely necessary for vintage pieces from the big studios, as they all marked their property with inventory alpha numeric systems. It does not prove screen use, per se, but that it was owned by them. You would still need to match peculiar aspects of it to prove screen use.

I would not purchase a piece in the open market that lacked these correct markings. If, I am getting it directly from the studio or an authorized sale, then there is paperwork.

rick
    From
    SoCal aka The Valley
    Apr 6, 2013, 10:17 PM - Re: Do your screen used props have prop house ID on it? #4

Stairstars said: View Post
    Absolutely necessary for vintage pieces from the big studios, as they all marked their property with inventory alpha numeric systems. It does not prove screen use, per se, but that it was owned by them. You would still need to match peculiar aspects of it to prove screen use.

I would not purchase a piece in the open market that lacked these correct markings. If, I am getting it directly from the studio or an authorized sale, then there is paperwork.

rick
    After my post I thought of that....so - yea......that's cool as it's part of the history.
  5. Member Since
    Jan 2012
    From
    Boston, MA
    Apr 6, 2013, 10:32 PM - Do your screen used props have prop house ID on it? #5

No inventory labels on any of my props. My BTTF Marty letter has a version number (or something) written on a back corner. I would imagine props that studios plan to use again in sequels or other movies would be more likely to get cataloged
  6. Linnear is offline Linnear
    Apr 6, 2013, 11:13 PM - Re: Do your screen used props have prop house ID on it? #6

Of all the props we have handled at Propworx, never once saw an inventory # or any marking. Now that is because we handled shows in the last 10 years. The TV studios simply dont do that. Never saw any on Marvel props from iron man or Iron Man 2 either.

Alec
    From
    Atlanta
    Apr 6, 2013, 11:57 PM - Re: Do your screen used props have prop house ID on it? #7

I think it is the nature of the business now of so much being done away from Hollywood plus independent companies actually shooting the productions. But, I have also seen that when a TV show is shot at Universal, Paramount, FOX and WB, where they are on the same ground for the last 80 years, when they need an antique piece, it is usually something from classic films still sitting in the warehouse. One piece I have from RKO, from the 30s, is in Brando's last film done in 2002. A clock from THE ADDAMS FAMILY TV show was in a late 90s FRASIER episode. Other pieces were used in ST:TNG.

I realize they are the exceptions, but all are marked from their respective studios. Once, the majors embraced TV in the 1950s, things were reused over and over again.

Today, they use stickers with bar codes, as with any business, valuing assets is required for taxes and other purposes.

rick
  8. Member Since
    Mar 2013
    From
    Southern Indiana
    Apr 7, 2013, 1:49 AM - Re: Do your screen used props have prop house ID on it? #8

All of mine have the wardrobe tags still on them. Although I bought all my stuff from the same Hollywood costume house so I assume that's just their way of keeping track of their inventory. Some, not all of mine are permanently marked.
  9. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Apr 7, 2013, 7:39 AM - Re: Do your screen used props have prop house ID on it? #9

Thanks everyone for the input. Say if the screen used has the prop house's marking on it but doesn't have official provenance, such as a letter of authenticity from the studio, was obtained through some source, would you gamble on contacting the prop house to verify the marking was made by them? If the prop was leaked out from the studio, does the prop house have any legal grounds to demand it back from you?
  10. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Apr 7, 2013, 9:09 AM - Re: Do your screen used props have prop house ID on it? #10

I have two wardrobe pieces with studio bar code labels in them. One from Disney/MGM and the other from Universal Studios. I think they add value to them to simply answer your question.
    Apr 7, 2013, 6:24 PM - Re: Do your screen used props have prop house ID on it? #11

you have:
    production asset - studio owned (usually stickered)
    prop rental house - independent or studio prop house (usually engraved so they come back the same way they left, in theory)
  12. Member Since
    Feb 2013
    Apr 7, 2013, 9:29 PM - Re: Do your screen used props have prop house ID on it? #12

Would someone be so kind as to post a pic of the house ID label for my noobishness?

I am oddly curious as to what one may look like.