Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Aug 19, 2010, 10:59 AM - Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #1

Does anyone know what the value of an authentic Lost in Space pistol would be? I know of one that is for sale, is it possible that one would be for sale and legitimate?
    Last edited by Robot; Aug 19, 2010 at 2:19 PM.
    From
    Sacramento Califorina U.S.A.
    Aug 19, 2010, 4:53 PM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #2

I think you need a bigger photo to get some real help, unless someone can tell while looking at a thumb nail.
    Aug 20, 2010, 6:01 AM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #3

GoldCylon1 said: View Post
    I think you need a bigger photo to get some real help, unless someone can tell while looking at a thumb nail.
    I put in a request for better pic's but I still havent heard from him yet.
    Aug 21, 2010, 1:54 PM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #4

Ok, here is a better pic, and a quote from the seller:

To clarify, LIS had 2 versions of the laser pistol. One version was for close-ups. These guns had plastic hollow nozzles that would light when they pulled the trigger so the special effects folks knew where to put the effect in. The other version, the gun I have, has a solid red wood tip at the end. These guns were used as stunt guns. Pulling out of holsters. Dropping on the sand. And in the case of the episode,"One of our dogs is missing," having a dog take the gun out of the holster and run away with it.

5. Member Since
    Mar 2003
    Aug 22, 2010, 8:49 PM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #5

It looks different from John Azarian's that he claims was used in the One of our dogs is missing episodes. The red end piece on this one appears solid while John Azarian's has a ridge you can see at The Azarian Collection's Photos - Lost In Space tv | Facebook
    It doesen't mean there were no variations. But its something to be aware of.
    I once asked John Azarian about a rubber stunt Lost in space pistol asking if such were used and he would not comment so don't expect any help just comparing pictures with ones more likely to be authentic. I think the lost in space pistol Profiles in History sold years back was originally from the owner of Icons replicas, which also raised red flags to me. So to me they are very hard to verify. just being a modified toy, cast piece with wooden ends, or rubber cast piece does not guarantee its a screen used original. I would look for a picture of the Profiles in history one from years back also for visual reference.

In Profiles in History Auction 28 a hero Lost in space gun sold for 80,000 plus buyers premium I think, not sure if that with or without.
    Camdens Auction failed to rearch reserve on a lost in space season one without site, auction estimate in 94 was 2000 to 3000. Can't verify if that was was authentic though. Might have my auction catalog somewhere though.

I forget which profiles auction sold another LIS laser pistol.
    Last edited by firstmark; Aug 22, 2010 at 8:58 PM.
  6. Member Since
    Mar 2003
    Aug 22, 2010, 9:48 PM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #6

I think the toy this is originally based on had three distinct sections in the tip a big section and two other smaller sections like a kaledoscope. I imagine guns cast off this would have the same effect in the show. John Azarian's stunt gun seems to have this too with the back section of the barrel tip painted black. It also seems that a lot of guns did not have sites in the show, and those that did often had them break off. In an old thread at http://www.therpf.com/f9/lost-space-...ops-etc-35202/ you can see some screen shots of a nearly bare gun with no sites at all.
    So the presences of the sites on a "stunt gun" would be rare I would imagine. The wood tip could be a replacement tip added after the show though, or used like that as they broke off or for some stunt guns, its hard to say. But solid barrel tips without the three ridged areas are very commonly found on replicas too.
    Aug 23, 2010, 5:42 PM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #7

Firstmark,
    Thanks for all the info. As soon as I post these new pic's I'm headed to the links you provided.
    These are better close ups.

Aug 24, 2010, 6:37 AM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #8

The tip on this gun is solid for sure, but take a look at all the other solid (I assume stunt guns) in the screen grab

9. Member Since
    Jul 2010
    From
    NJ, USA
    Aug 24, 2010, 9:40 AM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #9

Wish i could help with authenticating... but do know the buyer of the laser rifle and pistol if you want to contact that person.
    Aug 24, 2010, 11:29 AM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #10

Search4 said: View Post
    Wish i could help with authenticating... but do know the buyer of the laser rifle and pistol if you want to contact that person.
    I am going to see the gun this week and meet him (time permiting). I'll take my camera for detailed pic's and get all the info I can.
  11. RPF Premium Member thegreatgalling's Avatar
    From
    USA
    Aug 25, 2010, 9:49 AM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #11

Hey Robot,

In a way I am extremely happy for you that you may have this opportunity, and on the otherhand, I know exactly how stressful, time consuming, and nervewracking this process is. Your worries put you right in the center of a fork in the road, either you pay tons of money for a fake, or let go the genuine article for differences that are negligable or unintentional by the original prop team!

I also can appreciate the advice of the others in the thread. There are a lot of fakes out there, so we HAVE to stick together as a community if we have any chance of keeping our hobby a positive experience.

Can't help you with the pistol, but I am glad it seems you are asking the right questions. Good luck.
  12. Member Since
    Jul 2010
    From
    NJ, USA
    Aug 31, 2010, 9:28 AM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #12

Again, glad to help compare with the originals, both from Profiles. If you'd like to talk live, please PM or email me.
  13. RPF Premium Member phase pistol's Avatar
    From
    New York
    Aug 31, 2010, 9:46 AM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #13

Some pics from my files

Will with the working hero prop with lights

The first season laser rifle was made from another Remco toy (this one was called the Chariot rifle because it seemed to be stored in that vehicle)

Viva los robotos!

Here Maureen's pistol is lacking EVERYTHING except the oval oil-tank shaped battery pack on top...

Last edited by phase pistol; Aug 31, 2010 at 9:54 AM.
  14. Member Since
    Nov 2001
    Aug 31, 2010, 3:12 PM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #14

Search4 said: View Post
    Again, glad to help compare with the originals, both from Profiles.
    I can't see the value in this comparison. Sort of like comparing an apple to an orange to see if the apple is real.

What's with the elongated back? It doesn't match any of the screencaps? Can anyone post a screencap or photo that shows a back end like this?

Chris
    Last edited by CJP; Aug 31, 2010 at 9:15 PM.
    Aug 31, 2010, 4:48 PM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #15

Well guy's, thanks for all the input. My wife seemed to sniff out the idea of me spending $3k on this thing and it just seems to not be the right time. I can not say I am an expert on authenticating this thing but it does feel right to me (for what it's worth). I asked him why he was selling this and all of his other LIS memorabilia and he told me he was starting a new business and needed the capital. We are in one of the worst foreclosure markets in the nation and I actually believe his financial issues are deeper than stated.

As far as the gun is concerned, here is part of an e-mail he sent me.

In the meantime, Robert Vanderpool is probably the largest collector of Lost in Space collectibles, and an expert on the show. You should check out his web site. You can find it at UncleOdiesCollectibles.com. The easiest way is to google "Lost in Space props." His web site will appear at the top and will automatically go to his "prop" category. (He has like 8 categories). Once you get that page up go to page 4 or 5 and scroll down half way. You will see 2 authentic LIS laser prop pistols on the far right hand side. He'll have 2 examples of real laser pistols used on the show. The first one talks about the difference between the close up and the stunt pistols and if memory serves me right, it has a price tag of $8,000. The pistol I'm selling is the 2nd example. Robert was kind enuf to put my gun on his site along with an abbreviated version of how I got the gun.
    To clarify, LIS had 2 versions of the laser pistol. One version was for close-ups. These guns had plastic hollow nozzles that would light when they pulled the trigger so the special effects folks knew where to put the effect in. The other version, the gun I have, has a solid red wood tip at the end. These guns were used as stunt guns. Pulling out of holsters. Dropping on the sand. And in the case of the episode,"One of our dogs is missing," having a dog take the gun out of the holster and run away with it.

If anyone is interested in this gun, send me a PM and I can put you in touch with him, since I don't seem to be in the running anymore.
  16. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Sep 1, 2010, 12:55 AM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #16

Hi,

some input... Profiles in History sold one way back in '97

Lost in Space first season Blaster, May 18th, 1997, Price Realized $2,500 USD

Lost in Space first season Blaster

17. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Sep 1, 2010, 1:03 AM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #17

Also some images of the rifle that sold for $70k mentioned earlier.

John Robinson hero Laser Rifle from Lost in Space

big buck$ if you have a real one...

18. formerly tardis55
    From
    USA
    Sep 1, 2010, 1:13 AM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #18

If you go back thru the 1990's and early 2000's auction catalogues like Profiles and Christies there have been so many LIS guns sold that there couldnt possibly be so many used on the show...

Provenance is key on something like that every time.
  19. Member Since
    Nov 2001
    Sep 1, 2010, 3:38 AM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #19

It wouldn't be the first - or last - time Profiles in History sold a fake piece.

I'd still like to see a screen cap of a gun with a long back end like this.

Chris
    icollect said: View Post
    Hi,

some input... Profiles in History sold one way back in '97

Lost in Space first season Blaster, May 18th, 1997, Price Realized $2,500 USD

Lost in Space first season Blaster

20. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Sep 4, 2010, 9:02 PM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #20

Very cool props and pictures
  21. Member Since
    Nov 2001
    Sep 4, 2010, 10:39 PM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #21

There seems to be an abnormal number of low-post-count posters in this thread... The most curious, an ID that was set up nine months ago whose first, second and third posts are all within three minutes of each other tonight, None of which had any substance.

There are many things that are appearing to stink about this, most notably, the elongated back of this gun.

Can anyone find an episode or vintage publicity shot that depicts a gun with this feature? (Don't bother citing the one Profiles in History sold! )

Chris
    Sep 6, 2010, 6:44 AM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #22

@CJP u took the words out of my mouth and Im guessin ur thinkin the same thing I am.
  23. Member Since
    Nov 2001
    Sep 6, 2010, 7:21 AM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #23

Onigiri said: View Post
    @CJP u took the words out of my mouth and Im guessin ur thinkin the same thing I am.
    Onigiri, I'm thinking "plot foiled".

Interesting that the 09-04-2010, 10:02 PM post by "Eugene613" was deleted after I shined a light on it.

Why?

Here it is from my email notification:
    Dear CJP,

Eugene613 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? - in the Screen Used Movie Props and Wardrobe forum of Replica Prop Forum.

This thread is located at:
    Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol?

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    Very cool props and pictures
    Eugene613 has made a few more "That's cool posts". Here's a screen shot:

Why go into the detail here? I thought that the post was suspicious to begin with, and even more so now that it has been deleted.

What's going on here?

Chris
    Sep 6, 2010, 11:43 AM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #24

I'm kind of lost as to where this thread is heading. I assume I'm not being referenced to anything here?

Chris, did you talk to the owner of this gun?
  25. Member Since
    Nov 2001
    Sep 6, 2010, 12:34 PM - Re: Authentic Screen used Lost in Space pistol? #25

Robot said: View Post
    I'm kind of lost as to where this thread is heading. I assume I'm not being referenced to anything here?

Chris, did you talk to the owner of this gun?
    Jeff, yes, I spoke with the owner and I'm not satisfied that the gun is authentic. When I questioned authenticity, i.e., the shape of the back and the fact that a purported stunt gun had sights, an "apple corer" and light dome, authenticating evidence presented was:
    1:) It's a hybrid.
    2:) It might of had to be modified to look like a hero pistol for a specific group scene in which they needed more hero-looking guns.
    3:) This style laser pistol was used in Season 1, but also in several Season 2 and/or 3 episodes as guns handled by aliens.
    4:) The prop guy was readying the gun for a future episode, which was never filmed.
    In addition, further "evidence" was a friend of his "who has knowledge of gluing agents, analyze[d] the glue holding the dome in place" and deemed it to be "old".

He also said that he found "it very difficult to believe some one would go thru all the trouble of faking a LIS laser pistol since interest in the show was limited". He added that Mark Goddard said at a convention 15 years ago that it looked authentic.

My reply in part:

...some independent evidence of authenticity shows up, namely a screen shot or publicity still of a gun with a back end that matches the one you have.

As you state in this email, there are many things that are hand crafted regarding props and there will be variations. However, the logic of such doesn’t hold up as reasoning as to why the back of your gun doesn’t look like any other on-screen original. The fact that the one sold by Profiles in History is misshapen in the same way just means that they either came from the same mold, or one was molded and cast from the other. The fact that they showed up at about the same time doesn’t help either.

You also state that you “find it very difficult to believe some one would go thru all the trouble of faking a LIS laser pistol ”, but then state, “After all, $4,000 is a lot of money.” Therein you would find motive.

You also say that you never really questioned the gun's authenticity, which you probably should have.

Regarding comments by Mark Goddard and/or Marta Kristen, even if one of them said it looked right, or even said that it was right, anyone could understand that an actor that had brief interludes with a piece of resin 30 years before cannot be relied upon for expert testimony. That testimony must be left to photographic evidence.

Regarding your possible explanations that it was a hybrid, or modified to look like a hero, an alien gun, or a 4th season modification:

• That it is a hybrid is not explanatory.
    • That it was modified to look like a hero does not make sense since they were already using stunt guns in close-up.
    • That it was an alien gun is not explanatory since when any guns were reused for aliens, they were painted or redressed so they would not look like a Robinson gun.
    • That it was modified for a pending 4th season is not plausible as why would they go back to the look of the first season gun once it was retired?

What I’m getting from this is an unsubstantiated story about the origin that you heard second hand, that you thought the gun was authentic because you thought no one would go through the trouble to fake it and the recollections of an actor 30 years removed.

Since you are looking to sell this, it would probably prove fruitful if you could uncover a screen cap or publicity shot that shows the features that your gun has, or at the very least, the elongated back.

I haven't heard back.

Chris

-