Back to the Future

Here comes my next work in addition to my known Mattel Hoverboard decals!

After the Mattel disaster everyone is now building his own version. But building the thousandth pink Hoverboard is boring, don't you think too? What's with the orange/yellow board from the other girl? Never seen on screen, but still existing!!! And here are the accurate decals (sorry, this time only a full size A1 version, no A3 and Tabloid):

PDF:

Mattel_Hoverboard_Decals_Orange_Version_remade_by_Roland_Zubcic_A1.pdf

Preview pic:

attachment.php

I took the liberty of modifying Roland's Orange Hoverboard decal to better match the only pictures we have of an orange board. I ended up basically starting from the ground up, using Roland's file for some of the basic shapes but reworked almost everything else. Here's a partial list of changes I made:

-Saturated the colors more to represent a more neutrally exposed/less worn board color.
-Changed the angle and the size of the rear vermillion stripes on the top of the board to match the Planet Hollywood board.
-Changed the size of the rear mint green corner stripe to match the Planet Hollywood board.
-Changed the layer order so the rear corner stripe overlaps the nearest vermillion stripe
-Adjusted the size, positioning, and rotation of the Mattel logos to better reflect the Planet Hollywood board.
-Resized the logo stripes
-Changed the logo stripe placement
-Reworked the Hover Board logo to align it with the direction of the board and eliminate overlaps.
-Created a new "Dot Pattern" and aligned it to within 1.5 degrees of the pattern on the Planet Hollywood board.
-Thinned and modified the logo text to better match the orientation, thickness, kerning, etc of the PH board.
-And some other stuff I've forgotten.

The only thing I would still consider changing is the Mattel logo, but I'm having a hell of a time sourcing the correct font, so I figured that it's ready for release.

Here's a quick preview:

attachment.php

And here it is with the few reference shots we have overlaid on it (After being corrected for distortion as best as possible) :

attachment.php

And...here's the file for download:

Download FoxLand_Orange_HoverBoard-A1_Size.pdf from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

A big thanks to Roland for getting the ball rolling and helping me speed up my process with his gorgeous file!

Enjoy!

-Nick

If anyone has the posters from "Mayor Goldie Wilson" or "Mayor Red (what's his name)" please let me know, I want them for a display in my house.

Thanks

... They have separate threads for a reason.

... which I still don't know. Why should we seperate the BTTF props? I would prefer to see all three threads together in just one. And maybe renaming that one in "Back to the Future - the trilogy". That's MY reason, why I post all my stuff in this one thread only. Look at the Harry Potter paper props: eight movies, but only one thread!

Just my
smiley_emoticons_my2cents.gif

I agree, there is also one Harry Potter thread with props of all the movies. Why not do the same for the BTTF props?

I think it is easier to locate articles and items with them seperated. Like the Indiana Jones Threads.

Just my opinion,
DBCooper

Remember remember the fifth of november..

I just printed my first real BTTF props. Big thanks to Roland for the PDF file of the book cover. Now i only need to find a correct book to wrap it around .

dsc03222ra.jpg

Also got this printed at 40x60 cm :
dsc03224i.jpg

Okay, this Orange Hoverboard has become a bit of a labor of love for me. Every few days, I come back to it, and see what I can make out. Surprisingly, even based on the limited number of pictures we have of it, I keep finding new things about it, and ways to tweak and improve it.

A few days ago, I finally tackled the part that had been bothering me the most: the Mattel Logo. I redrew the 50-point starburst myself to fix a few of the spikes that were askew on other versions. Using a combination of Roland's writing and an Arial font I put the text on and individually placed the text on each badge to match the SU board as closely as possible. The letters still aren't perfect, but this is as close as we're ever going to get it until we can get access to a SU board or Mattel's files from the 1980's.

This is what I came up with:

attachment.php

Some of the other "bigger" changes involved completely redrawing the green zig-zag lines on the top surface, better matching the angle of the surface dots, and refining the Hover Board logo's font weight and letter placement/angle.

I originally debated whether to release a version 2 of this since, to be honest, the changes are something that would be difficult to catch without overlaying the two images, but I knew that if I wanted to make the most accurate version of this for myself, someone else out there would most likely want it too. So once I do a final pass, expect me to release my V2 Orange Hover Board file.

I'd say look for it here before the end of the weekend. ;)

-Nick

Last edited:
... I redrew the 50-point starburst myself to fix a few of the spikes that were askew on other versions. ...

The spikes aren't askew by mistake or because I was too lazy to draw straight lines. They are askew and irregularly on the real hoverboards too. ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

The spikes aren't askew by mistake or because I was too lazy to draw straight lines. They are askew and irregularly on the real hoverboards too. ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like I may have some UN-editing to do. I had overlaid a few different versions of the logo and perhaps went a bit too far with my idealized version of it.

...this is why I haven't released my V2 yet. There's always something to change...especially when I mess it up. :lol

-Nick

Okay, thanks to Roland's notes, I stepped back my idealization of the Mattel logo and completely redid the text. (Though there are still a few minor issues with the text I want to fix)

NOW! I think the logo is more accurate...I just wish I didn't screw it up in the first place. :lol

Roland/everyone else, what do you think? Closer than I was before?

attachment.php

I think V2 is now just pending some corrections to the M and the A in the Mattel logo. Since I'm going to be out of town tomorrow, new release date for the Orange board decal should be Tuesday.

-Nick

The white part looks a lot thicker on your decal than on the real one that roland posted...

That's down to the peculiarities of this particular board. Each Mattel logo is slightly different, so I had to size the white circle, the red badge, and the text separately for the two instances of the logo on the same board.

Here's the reference image overlaid on my board -- corrected to fit as best as it can. (Probably should have posted this when I posted the other image)

attachment.php

And here's the full res logo prior to scaling the layers individually, where I matched the proportions of the logos from the Pink Stunt Boards.

attachment.php

Despite having basically no reference material for this, there are some unique bits like that I've been finding all over the place.

-Nick

EDIT: Here's an animated comparison shot of the board with the three reference images we have corrected for distortion and overlaid.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Sorry it's a few days late, but here's my v2 Orange Hoverboard Decal.

Special thanks to Roland for, not just creating the original, but also pointing out how big of an idiot I was being with the Mattel logo. :lol

My rules for distribution are the same as Roland's. Anyone can use these to make a board of their own or to make boards for sale, so long as they are available to EVERYONE. No limiting the sale based on where people live. These decals are for all fans to enjoy!

PREVIEW:

attachment.php

LINK: Orange_HoverBoard_FoxLand_Version2.pdf - 4shared.com - document sharing - download - Nick Fox

As always, let me know if you spot any issues. I'm -- unfortunately -- a perfectionist so I always appreciate knowing when things are off.

-Nick

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back