Yes another Iron Man WIP (Xrobots version)

XRobots

Thought I'd post this here by way of a further introduction, which depending on the other forums you're a member of you may have already seen.

I'm doing this project for fun, to the extent that I enjoy it, so there are parts that aren't up to scratch and it certainly isn't movie accurate.

There's a project page for the whole thing on my site, although any pieces I haven't cast yet (mainly the arms) are due to be re-sculpted or modified before new moulds are made - mainly due to scale (and quality) issues now I have the torso in one piece: http://www.xrobots.co.uk/ironmancostume/

It's all sculpted in Klean Klay over various bits of mannequins and cardboard armatures, then cast/laminated in Aqua Resin with glass fibre veil. Here are a few highlights:

The main torso pieces together, the back of the torso pictured is just the raw cast:

finishedparts04.jpg

finishedparts05.jpg

torso18.jpg

torso19.jpg

The original sculpt of the torso (the spine piece will stick on separately and be flexible):

torso08.jpg
torso07.jpg

The leg sculpt which is currently having the mould made. The same sculpt will be used for both legs, with an extra piece stuck on the outside of the thigh, and the contour trimmed differently at the top:

leg06.jpg
leg07.jpg
leg08.jpg

A lot more to follow...

hey man - nice to see u over here as well

looking good. interesting properties with AQUA resin over traditional FG resin.......

did u have any problems with settin finish with our fantatic UK weather?

Thanks guys, watch this space.

did u have any problems with settin finish with our fantatic UK weather?

I haven't actually painted any parts since before it got really cold, but normally I spray them outside and then bring them in to dry.

That's really good work! I'm quite intrigued by your use of latex and jay cloth to make a mould. How do you find latex as a mould medium? When you were making the helmet, did the latex mould just peel off in one piece and then placed inside the mother mould?

Being in the UK, I guess you also understand that it's not so easy to just get ahold of some moderately priced Smooth-on or the such. Interesting to see that you're getting good results from your materials. Where did you get your Aqua Resin?

Thanks, yes, I use cloth in the mould to build up the latex nice and thick quickly, it's still quite flexible but doesn't shrink so much (or stretch so much). However, you can normally still peel it off the clay and the finished piece, and it goes in and out of the support jacket fine. For the leg I think I may need to cut a partial slit in the latex to get it off (I already put dividers in length ways) - but I guess this would be the same for silicone anyway. Generally I find latex sufficiently cheap for the results.

I imported the Aqua Resin (and the Klean Klay), but there's not actually a UK distributor for Aqua Resin. There may be a substitute for Aqua Resin available, which I'm currently testing (the back of the torso is made from it)... but all I can say on that at the moment is watch this space (or check out my sig / PM me)

That's really good work! I'm quite intrigued by your use of latex and jay cloth to make a mould. How do you find latex as a mould medium? When you were making the helmet, did the latex mould just peel off in one piece and then placed inside the mother mould?

Being in the UK, I guess you also understand that it's not so easy to just get ahold of some moderately priced Smooth-on or the such. Interesting to see that you're getting good results from your materials. Where did you get your Aqua Resin?

its looking pretty good i like the leg sculpts they look great..

it seems like the chest piece looks a little to much rounded

and the helmet looks a bit narrow on the nose and mouth sections.. but other than those little things you have done a great job.. keep up the great work..

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Welcome to the board. Nice seeing the development of the armor. It belive this will be a nice offer to those who are a bit smaller persons.

Thanks again everyone. I know it's not movie accurate as I said in the first post. Basically it's designed to fit me - I'm quite slender, so if I make it too large then I won't be able to get my arms down by my sides while wearing the bicep armour, or walk etc ;-)

Watch out for more coming soon...

Minor update for today, I've removed the lower leg mould and support jacket form the sculpt, still have the upper leg parts to prize off:

leg10.jpg

leg11.jpg

And I've started to sand, fill, prime, sand, fill and prime the back of the torso. There are a few minor bits to attend to still, but it's getting there:

torso20.jpg

torso21.jpg

The back and front of the torso fit me with quite a bit of space to spare which will be padded out with 0.5" or 1" foam strips. Despite the 'smaller' look of the pieces I'm still concerned about being able to put my arms by my sides once the bicep pieces are made - guess I might have to revisit the torso and maybe cut the arm hole lower, although I don't really like the idea of that so we'll see.

Next actions are to cast the legs and revisit the forearm sculpt to make the hand plate part of the sculpt so it's all one piece, as well as make the 'inside' (gold) part toward the elbow the right shape.

Cheers guys, but I don't take souls - I'm not *that* cheap ;-)

...but seriously, I'm not really here to sell props, I'm doing it just for fun.

Here's today's update, I have the shoulder bells to attach to the straps you can see dangling there, at which point I'll post some pics of me wearing all the parts so far.

I've used Maplex board covered with black cloth ( http://www.mutr.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1422 ) to make flexible tabs attached to the back piece which have press-studs attached to them so the two halves of the torso clip together rigidly. I've padded some of it out with foam so it stands away from the body a a bit:

torso24.jpg

torso25.jpg

torso27.jpg

torso28.jpg

More coming this week...

It's like the creation of a beautiful sports car.

I've not come across MUTR as a supplier before, are they good?

MUTR are quite good, they have a lot of things that are quite unique - lots of them are aimed at education, but others are just what you need for certain props and costumes. They take credit cards / sell to the public, even though they are mainly educational suppliers.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back