Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. hikz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Messages
    70
    Jul 26, 2009, 1:53 PM - WW2 Captain America help #1

    I'm just starting to put together a ww2 Captain America ultimate costume and was wondering if any guys here had done one, if anyone has links or info that might be helpfull I would be very gratefull
    cheers
    jamie
  2. troopermatthew's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Wales
    Messages
    452
    Jul 26, 2009, 4:04 PM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #2

    Awsome >< I hope this is for the Reel Icons? Irishamericanlad makes the shields so its best to contact him
  3. RPF Premium Member irishamericanlad's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    San antonio, TX
    Messages
    1,092
    Jul 26, 2009, 6:47 PM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #3

    are you looking for the leather mask with the goggles also? i like that version... alot of the renditions in my head are of a well worn leather jacket like the one of 410 to uma and the rocketeer, with realistic colors and a tall broad collar. no white sleaves, with a white or red large turtle neck shirt. the a leather belt strap system for your military look. the mask is an easy deal, molded leather and if you can find a kool set of goggles. the shield is easy, i cam do that for you... in any paint scheme, but this is the better of the costumes... more realsitic.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClBTG5_NU-Q
    this is a really good trailer, i made them a round steel shield, (not the one in this short) and they are looking to really finish it soon...
  4. Heatshock's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Middlesbrough, UK
    Messages
    407
    Jul 26, 2009, 6:55 PM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #4

    I presume this version?



    theres this from southbeach leather



    although there are issues with southbeach leather as a supplier though - just do a search on it on here. mixed reviews from various guys. and you will have decide for urself.

    irishamerican - you shields rock, always wanted to get one of the 40's style ones
  5. RPF Premium Member irishamericanlad's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    San antonio, TX
    Messages
    1,092
    Jul 26, 2009, 7:21 PM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #5

    you mean this one? lol and i posted a pic of the WWII captain america from the video game... and of a jacket i made, non leather, and actually its my first costume...





  6. Heatshock's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Middlesbrough, UK
    Messages
    407
    Jul 26, 2009, 7:35 PM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #6

    yep exactly the one mate
    nothing wrong with the more recognisable round version.

    one day mate... one day... I will get that shield into my collection ;P
  7. RPF Premium Member irishamericanlad's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    San antonio, TX
    Messages
    1,092
    Jul 26, 2009, 9:13 PM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #7

    ive got plenty cut in teh garage, and im always into trades... i am gonna start that ultimates mask though and will be looking for the right goggles..
  8. swgeek's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Los Angeles
    Messages
    334
    Jul 27, 2009, 1:35 AM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #8

    irishamericanlad, Not exactly a small guy are you? lol
    hikz, Great idea looking forward to seeing this done.
    Last edited by swgeek; Jul 27, 2009 at 3:50 AM.
  9. hikz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Messages
    70
    Jul 27, 2009, 2:31 AM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #9

    Yes this is the way I want to go, how much do you want for one of your shields shipped to the uk? As for the leather mask I think I might buy a leather
    ww2 flying helmet and mod it.


    irishamericanlad said: View Post
    are you looking for the leather mask with the goggles also? i like that version... alot of the renditions in my head are of a well worn leather jacket like the one of 410 to uma and the rocketeer, with realistic colors and a tall broad collar. no white sleaves, with a white or red large turtle neck shirt. the a leather belt strap system for your military look. the mask is an easy deal, molded leather and if you can find a kool set of goggles. the shield is easy, i cam do that for you... in any paint scheme, but this is the better of the costumes... more realsitic.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClBTG5_NU-Q
    this is a really good trailer, i made them a round steel shield, (not the one in this short) and they are looking to really finish it soon...
  10. Aquaman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    NYC
    Messages
    626
    Jul 27, 2009, 7:47 AM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #10

    there is a guy I see at cons that always wears his cap outfit. Looks amazing. Always carries the American Flag. Can't find a pic, but it is that version.
  11. RPF Premium Member irishamericanlad's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    San antonio, TX
    Messages
    1,092
    Jul 27, 2009, 3:45 PM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #11

    sent you the price with discount...
    (irishamericanlad, Not exactly a small guy are you? lol ) i used to think i was big, 6'2" 245 lbs, but now i fee average lol...
  12. knightoftheroc's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Messages
    77
    Jul 30, 2009, 2:28 AM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #12

    irishamericanlad said: View Post
    you mean this one? lol and i posted a pic of the WWII captain america from the video game... and of a jacket i made, non leather, and actually its my first costume...





    I'm curious, given the many paint schemes of the shield over the years and changes of artists, the scalloped top vs the angular top, the flat top, etc, aside from the circular shield with the single star, do you have a system for identifying the various shield versions? Perhaps something based on the number of stars displayed, or something like that. Obviously, going by color scheme wouldn't make much of a difference with this character. Or do you only make the one style of shield, aside from the round one? How heavy are the shields, and what do you use inside them as a handle- not a second strap, I hope. I fight with a sword and shield in the youth group I run, and I've always thought a Cap shield would be really cool- I also want one that's painted as a STOP sign, but then again, I get silly, lol.
    Most of the shields we use are hardwood ply, in 1/4", which are light and durable. Weight is a consideration, as it IS a youth group, and these are kids holding them most of the time. When we use metal, with that in mind, we use sign aluminum, usually from a surplus dealer, so the signs are all legally obtained. The aluminum holds up well to a beating, and still is nice and light, so a full day tourney wont kill an arm. My own heavy fighting shield is two layers of 1/4" hard-ply, coated with a sheet of 20ga galvanized steel, and then painted. The interior is a leather arm strap and a gate handle, affixed with carriage bolts for a smoother face surface.
  13. knightoftheroc's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Messages
    77
    Jul 30, 2009, 2:41 AM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #13

    [QUOTE=Heatshock;942385]I presume this version?



    The helmet is a standard steel pot and liner (trust me, you WANT the liner), and the body straps are a standard LBE setup on a pistol belt. Start haunting Army surplus stores and websites (I like sportsmansguide.com) for the parts to put that together- it shouldn't even run a lot of money.

    The pants might be done with a more modern cargo-style BDU pants, if you can get them in a white or light color you could dye, or possibly go with a standard dark olive green to mimic the BDU colors of WWII. The spats on the boots are a holdover from the WWI uniform, and are hard to find anymore, in a decent condition. A light olive green canvas can be used to make your own, and then grommet them with a black oxide grommet, and a tan or olive lacing. Standard black combat boots under them would really set the whole look off.

    For this version of Cap, the hardest part to locate is really the tunic, and the sources for that have already been posted for you. everything else is almost off-the-shelf, excepting the mask/underhelmet and shield. The goggles could be done from some older style welder goggle, swapping out the green lenses for clear, and perhaps some paint on them. When working from comic art, I try to use an approach of "close as possible", rather than the extremes of screen accuracy as you get with a movie. Comic artists do not spend the time and effort on details that might determine model A or model B of a given item, they are looking to give the proper over-all impression. I'm sure none of them have time to ensure every panel they draw has the proper number of eyelets in the combat boots laces- it's enough to be able to tell they ARE combat boots.
  14. RPF Premium Member irishamericanlad's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    San antonio, TX
    Messages
    1,092
    Jul 30, 2009, 12:02 PM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #14

    knightoftheroc said: View Post
    I'm curious, given the many paint schemes of the shield over the years and changes of artists, the scalloped top vs the angular top, the flat top, etc, aside from the circular shield with the single star, do you have a system for identifying the various shield versions? Perhaps something based on the number of stars displayed, or something like that. Obviously, going by color scheme wouldn't make much of a difference with this character. Or do you only make the one style of shield, aside from the round one? How heavy are the shields, and what do you use inside them as a handle- not a second strap, I hope. I fight with a sword and shield in the youth group I run, and I've always thought a Cap shield would be really cool- I also want one that's painted as a STOP sign, but then again, I get silly, lol.
    Most of the shields we use are hardwood ply, in 1/4", which are light and durable. Weight is a consideration, as it IS a youth group, and these are kids holding them most of the time. When we use metal, with that in mind, we use sign aluminum, usually from a surplus dealer, so the signs are all legally obtained. The aluminum holds up well to a beating, and still is nice and light, so a full day tourney wont kill an arm. My own heavy fighting shield is two layers of 1/4" hard-ply, coated with a sheet of 20ga galvanized steel, and then painted. The interior is a leather arm strap and a gate handle, affixed with carriage bolts for a smoother face surface.

    the WWI style shield changes with each artist, the one with the blue on the sides is what marvel calls the licensed WWII shield...

    the original captian america cover WWII

    mine

    and my brackets are welded on, two for the adjustable leather arm strap and a handle, all made from the same material as the shield, its 16g pressed rolled but not heavy at all... and i chose a more "traditional" shape for my shield but can make any shape... and a few of the new hanldes i am making...


    Last edited by irishamericanlad; Jul 30, 2009 at 12:06 PM.
  15. RPF Premium Member Jarvis B's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Messages
    226
    Jul 30, 2009, 7:41 PM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #15

    I have a Lid

  16. RPF Premium Member TMP's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2005
    From
    Europe
    Messages
    2,240
    Jul 31, 2009, 6:58 AM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #16

    Very cool project. But a bit side stort and some thoughts.

    For the new capt america movie i belive the storry will be played out part in WW2 and main movie in real time. For the new Captain america i belive
    they will use the new boddy armor similar to a existing bullet proofe vest called dragon skin. This is among the best bulletproof and antisplint suit mades and its used by army troops.

    The material absorbs impact incredible well, i belive its to be said its the best. The funny thing how how it looks and how its layerd. Just like the original design of Captain america. Take a look:



    Here is the video documetary:
    Look at the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kMCZlSfUW4

    I belive this is A nice way to bring real life tecnology into the super hero realm.
  17. RPF Premium Member irishamericanlad's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    San antonio, TX
    Messages
    1,092
    Jul 31, 2009, 7:41 AM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #17

    now if someone, i dont know, say a master of costumes in the area of modeling and casting, where to make a prototype captain america costume... say TMP... maybe
  18. giric thren's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    From
    Dallas, Texas
    Messages
    112
    Aug 2, 2009, 1:35 AM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #18

    I dont mean to hijack this thread, but if anybody has any connections to get a leather WW2 cap jacket with center star please PM me
  19. hikz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Messages
    70
    Aug 2, 2009, 2:28 AM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #19

    Magnoli does a custom jacket, I would have liked it but it was alittle out of my price range in the leather so I've gone for one in a heavy cotton material to match the trousers
  20. MattMurdockYLW is offline MattMurdockYLW
    Aug 2, 2009, 3:22 AM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #20

    someone should just sculpt the Capt America WWII leather cowl and cast it up and paint it to look like leather. The full version that goes down the neck and everything.
  21. RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2003
    Messages
    3,945
    Nov 9, 2009, 11:47 PM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #21

    I am very curious to see what the movie suit will look like. I think that will be the one that I decide to go with. Replicating a costume from a comic book is tough because of the various interpitations people are able to make when translating the costume from comic page to reality.
  22. Bizarro Lois's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Where the sidewalk ends
    Messages
    1,355
    Nov 10, 2009, 9:46 AM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #22

    That Cap shield is a thing of beauty.
  23. RPF Premium Member CSMacLaren's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Messages
    1,723
    Nov 10, 2009, 8:22 PM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #23

    My lid:











    I was trying to capture the feel of the helmet's antique appearance when Tony Stark presented it to Steve up in his penthouse with Thor as the other dinner guest.
  24. arivin923's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Messages
    211
    Nov 10, 2009, 9:52 PM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #24

    i did the whole costume (although working on improving/updating a lot of it!)






    and the helmet:




    and the shield:


    This was finished up the morning of, just before I left for SDCC, so its definitely still a work in progress. Redoing the star, and working on the mask right now. Thinking I want to fix up the pouches a little as well.

    Oh, and Daryl, I sent you an email
  25. knightoftheroc's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Messages
    77
    Nov 11, 2009, 12:46 AM - Re: WW2 Captain America help #25

    Some really nice work here- One of the armors I've always wanted to make, is the Captain America scale mail. I'd also like to do an Aquaman in scale, too- seems a perfect media, even tho I'm not a fan of Aquaman. Not sure if they'd sell, being adjustable to fit only by just so much, and the design itself being a "niche market", not really the thing to sell fast at a Ren Faire. For the Cap armor, I'd also make a round shield from an aluminum sled disk.

Similar Threads

  1. Captain america WW2 costume help
    Magnetizingprop, Marvel Costumes and Props
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jul 25, 2011, 7:26 PM
  2. ww2 captain america
    hikz, Marvel Costumes and Props
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: Jun 13, 2011, 1:48 PM
  3. ww2 captain america
    thundrkiss, Marvel Costumes and Props
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Mar 23, 2011, 6:49 PM
  4. WW2 Captain America Jacket
    Suppy, Marvel Costumes and Props
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct 1, 2010, 6:07 PM
  5. WW2 Captain America Project
    Army Scout, Marvel Costumes and Props
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Feb 24, 2006, 10:17 PM