The World's End - Gary King costume. Sources, images, ideas?

That looks perfect!! A little augmentation and you're set!

I've purchased this ring from an EBAY seller:
316L Stainless Steel Double Skulls Open Hoop Men Biker Ring 1oF | eBay
rg0116806.jpg

Looks pretty close to the one on his left hand ring finger, and it's dirt cheap. Should do the trick.

Here's an image showing that the coat may not be black. Here it looks to be a dark grey - just like the German coats we're finding. It may be a trick of the light, but those German Bundeswehr coats may not need to be dyed much, if at all:

Untitled-2.jpg

The coat is black. The German coat looks excellent though. If it is a cotton blend, some black Rit dye and a little India ink should do the job very well.

GaryKingCostume.jpg

A little progress report. The not-so-oval onyx ring looks decent! I'm getting close to done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    657.5 KB · Views: 817
Last edited:
I contacted the guy on ebay btw, and he says he'll ship that coat to the US, but shipping is 40 pounds.

I now have one of the grey Bundeswehr coats. It seems very good - quite dark and material not too thick - more like trenchcoat weight than greatcoat weight. I bought the 'Large' size from Amazon.co.uk and it is marked as 108cm chest and 170cm tall. I'm about 104cm chest and it's just a little big on me in the chest. I'm about 180cm tall and although it should be short on me, it really isn't - in terms of overall length and arm length, it falls about where Gary King's coat does. I may adjust the false belt button placement to make it look more like Gary King's - that would also bring the waist size down a bit, which would be perfect for me.

Last edited:
Wow, the shipping on that coat truly is ludicrous. I don't think it cost that much for the stab vest I bought from the UK, and that included bullet-proof kevlar inside! It was much, much heavier and bulkier than this coat could possibly be.

On a similar note, the eye of horus pendant you posted the link to had a decent price - under $13 - but the shipping was the same, and that's for a single item that is only a few ounces!! I've gotten stuff from the UK for less than that, even with air mail. Seriously, they need to make a better effort to be competitive and not gouge with shipping.

Okay, I got the Star of David ring for the right hand pinky finger, and it's a bit smaller than I thought it would be. The one Gary wears is definitely thicker. I'll post a pic later today.

Okay, I got the Star of David ring for the right hand pinky finger, and it's a bit smaller than I thought it would be. The one Gary wears is definitely thicker. I'll post a pic later today.

Yeah. I noticed that as well, though I wasn't sure. I bought both the oval and the circular ring. The oval one is the right shape, but seems a bit small, while the circular one is the right size, but the wrong shape. I guess people can choose which they prefer. I prefer the size to be right, so I'm going with the circular ring. I've amended the rating in the OP so that both rings get a 'B' - maybe other members can save themselves a few $$ from this info.

On the jeans, I've been bankrupting myself trying to find the exact right fit. They are definitely not Levi's 501s - those are too wide at the bottoms. 511s seem a bit too tight in the calf. I don't know - maybe the 511s are right. Anyway, I've now got plenty of jeans for the next few years.

For the young Gary King, the 511s are definitely right, and the Rigid Dragon color looks perfect - it has the contrasting inner color that true black jeans don't have. For older Gary King, I'm thinking the 511 stretch black or maybe the 513s, but 513s only come in a two-tone black/navy right now. Maybe the movie jeans are not Levi's at all, but I like Levi's and there are so many jeans manufacturers out there that it could get crazy trying to find a match. Anyway, one thing is certain, the jean openings (at the bottom) must be between 14 1/2" and 15 1/2" to get the exact right look - they must be narrow enough to bunch up a little at the bottom - 501s (with a 17" opening) just don't do that - they fall straight and look kinda geeky.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that everybody has different sized legs. For example I have a friend that has my same waist size and 511s look a little loose on him so he wears 510s. I couldn't get that same pair of 511s on to save my life. So buying the right fit of jeans for this is really more of a case by case basis.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back