Witch-king of Angmar (Finished) With Templates (12/29/2012)

Hamsterstyle

Update 3/3/2011: on Page 2
Update 12/29/2012: Bottom of this post has the Helmet Template.

Last year I started out making a General Kael mask, then I started making pvc chainmaile, before I knew it I was working on the entire costume. For some reason I find myself doing a very small project, then quickly evolves into something larger.

So about two weeks ago I decided to take a break from another WIP to play around with styrene(Or what I'm pretty sure is Styrene) and rivets. I've never played with these materials, but seeing what people have done with these materials on this site, I figured it would be fun to learn it.

I've had Kropserkel under my favorites for quite some time and have from time to time checked out their website and the crazy cool replicas that they make. Inspired by that, and all the great Iron Man armor on here, I started off making a set of Naz'gul gauntlets.
4574465818_42643d88d4.jpg

My reference for this was a few frames from the movie, and all of the various replicas that I found online(Of course kropserkel). In addition to the licensed statues.
The biggest struggle I had with this was getting the knuckleguard correct(or whatever it is called). Since I don't own a vacuform table, I made due with a heat gun and lots of trial and error. I arrived at this:
4594763774_4d9482e0b0.jpg

It's not very accurate, but it works for now.
The picture above is half weathered as a quick test.

Getting to that point, I then realized that I needed to do a little of the forearm armor, then I did the shoulder armor, and tonight I did a version of the helmet. This is why I don't buy pies, because I start off eating one piece, and before I know it I've eaten an entire pie and a galleon of whip-cream. Yes, I can eat an entire spanish trading ship filled with whip-cream.
4602981745_df376c9e43.jpg

I didn't want to do a WIP thread for this, as it is just my personal insanity, but since I've worked on it I've had some questions and issues pop up, and since there is no better group of people to ask (Unless you work for WETA or Sauron), I come here with my questions.

1st: I need a pair of cheap leather or leather-ish gloves for the gauntlets. It's summer time, and noone carries them anymore. I don't need a perfect set, just anything black and leatherish would be fine. I'm hoping to spend less than 30 bucks for the pair. Where online should I check? My plan is to ruin them by directly riveting the finger plates into the gloves. So I may pick up 2-3 pair. Plus having a good set of mideval gloves around for costumes would avoid my General Kael problem. Namely having cheap plastic gloves that after 8 hours feel like wearing wet salty socks on your hands.

2nd: Anyone know the dimensions of the helm? From what little I've read online It seems the helm is around 30in tall. I plan to wear it a little high on my head so that I'm looking out the 'mouth', if it ever goes to a full costume.

3rd: Fabric, what kind of fabric to give that ugly, falling apart look that the ringwraiths have. I've been to alleycatscratch and gone through what they have written, but second opinions are always welcome. I do wonder why the Naz'gul couldn't afford nice things. You would think that nine of the most powerful warriors in Middle-earth working for a great evil eye could afford a new set of robes every hundred years or so. They must not have unionized.

4th: What is a good filler for styrene? There will be a few cracks between plates, and my current plan is just a little hot glue for that welded look.

5th: How toxic is styrene? I hope this doesn't make me sound like an idiot, which as anyone can attest, I usually do. But right now I'm just heating the styrene pieces with a heat gun until they are soft and then molding them over whatever will give me the shapes I need. I'm not melting them, just softening them. I do this in my apartment. Am I ruining my lungs, should I be coughing up blood? Or should I just hope that one day I can buy new lungs?

So yeah, I don't have a girlfriend so this is my project in the meantime. If it goes well this 'pilot' may go to series and I may make 8 Naz'gul costumes for friends and fall on a convention together. Help me RPF you're my only hope.

----

Template Update:

Helmet:
8321700922_77779fc859.jpg

Full Size

Last edited:
Re: WIP: Witch-king of Angmar

hiya!

can i just say first off: MASSIVE AMAZINGNESS on the armour build :D very very nice.

I am assuming Styrene is the same as Plasticard (which is what I use to build props for the RepCom guys) and if it is then Car Body filler works a treat to fill in and then sand-down gaps to give a smooth finish. Just do it in a WELL VENTILATED area as the stuff is NOT good for you. You may also want to invest in a facemask for that tbh.

As for the fabric, you'd want something in a heavy weave which takes well to weathering. Depends how much you want to spend as well ;)
I would imagine they used some sort of heavy wool or cotton for the films.
I am very bad at naming fabrics though, am only any good at picking them out from a given selection.

Good luck!! and well done again! amazing!!

I need a pair of cheap leather or leather-ish gloves for the gauntlets. It's summer time, and noone carries them anymore. I don't need a perfect set, just anything black and leatherish would be fine. I'm hoping to spend less than 30 bucks for the pair. Where online should I check? My plan is to ruin them by directly riveting the finger plates into the gloves. So I may pick up 2-3 pair. Plus having a good set of mideval gloves around for costumes would avoid my General Kael problem. Namely having cheap plastic gloves that after 8 hours feel like wearing wet salty socks on your hands.

Check Ebay for unlined motorcycle gauntlets. Should be just what you need.

NIce work, btw. :love

Great work on the gauntlets. Cant wait to see the helmet finished.
I saw some gauntlets on here the other day and was wondering if there is a pattern for all of the pieces.

Great work on the gauntlets. Cant wait to see the helmet finished.
I saw some gauntlets on here the other day and was wondering if there is a pattern for all of the pieces.

I saw that too when I did a search.

I would love a pattern for all the pieces, an accurate pattern at least. If this whole thing works out I may post my version of the pattern, so other people can use it as a starting off point. I've learned alot so far doing these verson1s, so if I do a verson 2 it should be more accurate.

---

And thanks for the advice on motorcycle gauntlet gloves, they are exactly what I'm looking for. Found some dirt cheap ones that should be good enough to test on.

4614891228_186a228d33.jpg
4614273863_444712c569.jpg

Bought some cheap leather motorcycle gloves on 'teh internet' and after getting them I noticed that they were way to big. So after removing all the padding inside I modified them down about 2 sizes.
This is the final left glove before any weathering. The plates are riveted directly into the glove, which I found to be better than sewing them on.
I'm still not really happy with them, and I know I'll revisit these in a few months and redo them to be more accurate, but for now they fall into 'good enough', I guess.

4614273555_37094ba4ea.jpg

Finally, the current status of the helm and other pieces layed out next to it. I did quite a bit of reshaping to it, and then used a dremel and knife to add some scrapes, chips and holes to give it a more worn out look. I'm going to dremel it even more in the next few days and hopefully paint it this weekend.

Wow, fantastic work. How did you form those grooves in the top part of the gauntlet?

I did a wraith costume a couple years back and for the cloak I used a heavy knit fabric off the bargain bin wall at WalMart. Cuts, burns, running over it with your car, etc. Weathering the fabric is awfully fun, but I wouldn't suggest using a bleach solution to discolor it.

This is why I don't buy pies, because I start off eating one piece, and before I know it I've eaten an entire pie and a galleon of whip-cream.

I kept thinking of the phrase "the pie king of Angmar" from your quote!

Your project looks great! Looking forward to your progress on the helm. I love LOTR.

By the way, where did you get your styrene? I get it from Calsak Plastics in Kent.

Wow, fantastic work. How did you form those grooves in the top part of the gauntlet?

I did a wraith costume a couple years back and for the cloak I used a heavy knit fabric off the bargain bin wall at WalMart. Cuts, burns, running over it with your car, etc. Weathering the fabric is awfully fun, but I wouldn't suggest using a bleach solution to discolor it.

I'm looking forward to weathering it. I'm planning on slowly picking up cheap fabric over the next few months and ruining it.

I have some thick wire that I lay down on a hard surface, then heat up the styrene until it is soft, then I just press it down onto the wire. It leaves a nice line on the surface after it cools. For a curve i just curve the wire.

Any thoughts on how to discolor black fabric. I may just run it through a hot wash a few times to slightly grey it.

I kept thinking of the phrase "the pie king of Angmar" from your quote!

That might be a better costume. Just like eventually I want to make a fully armored 'Master Chef' costume. Or Spidermandalorian.

By the way, where did you get your styrene? I get it from Calsak Plastics in Kent.

So, I'm pretty sure it's styrene, like 90% sure. I bought it at TAP Plastics in Belleview. It's very cheap.

H, your gauntlets are fantastic, well done.

As for some of your earlier Q's - I have the UC WitchKing Helm, which i have measured out at a whopping 31" from the base to the top of the spike - see pics

IMG_2275-1.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

Also, i have the Topps WitchKing costume card, which contains a piece of the same fabric used for the movie costume, The fabric is quite a heavy weave almost like a woolen fabric. The texture is fairly rough due to the weave - almost bobbly.
Hopefully these pics will help you out...

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

H, your gauntlets are fantastic, well done.

As for some of your earlier Q's - I have the UC WitchKing Helm, which i have measured out at a whopping 31" from the base to the top of the spike - see pics

Also, i have the Topps WitchKing costume card, which contains a piece of the same fabric used for the movie costume, The fabric is quite a heavy weave almost like a woolen fabric. The texture is fairly rough due to the weave - almost bobbly.
Hopefully these pics will help you out...

I think my helm is about 29-30in long. I found some good pics online to get a rough estimate as to the scale of all the pieces.

I'm pretty sure the UC helm is based off the official helm. If you ever got bored making a template off of that helm would be rad. I don't know what the 'policy' of it is on here.

I do like how grooved the helm is, I've already gone crazy with my dremel, I need to do another 3 hours of it tonight. Just so that my neighbors will love me even more.

I've been looking for a good wool substitute. I don't want to overheat under 3 layers of this stuff.

4638597146_371c519fed.jpg
4638597508_69aa1163e6.jpg
4638597720_2511f791aa.jpg

While watching the final episode of Lost, and the second to last episode of Legend of the Seeker. I finished up the Witch King Helm.

The spikes are made out of carved wooden dowels. Screwed and glued them into place. Then spraypainted the entire thing with Hammered Steel Spraypaint, with some dark grey smudges to weather it.

From tip to tip the helm is a little under 32 inches, which makes it just about the right height.

This is looking really good man, now when do I get to come over and play?.

Also, if you're gonna remake the gloves eight more times, and I know for a fact you will, what are you gonna do with the others? Just don't throw them away.

cheers!

Dude, want paint did you use for your arms and gloves? can you tell me the color and make of the paint? thanks!! that WIP is soooooooooooooo PIMP!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back