WIP Doctor Doom (First build, Helm is done!)

LordRevos

Edit:

Here is a picture of the helm on its current stage:

423133_10151120614958309_2143258422_n.jpg

It could still use some improvements which will be done eventually. ( Adding shades with paint)

---

Hey there, I've been reading this forum for several days now and always wanted to cosplay as Dr. Doom from Marvel Comics but I always saw it as an impossible feat because of my lack of skills and because I didn't know how to even begin.

After reading here for a while last week, I randomly went to look for pictures of Doctor Doom and found a pep file of the helmet made by PepMaster (extracted directly from Marvel vs Capcom 3, which is one of my favorite versions of Doom so far. Here's the link in case anyone needs it: DOOM!)

As soon as I saw the pepakura file and how accurate was (because it was from the game!) I decided to watch tons of tutorials and make a list of everything I need for Doom, also finding out that it wasn't as hard. (Which has been hard to find some materials because of where I live, but I'll get them all eventually.)

At the moment I'm crafting a Luger-P08 pistol as I found it to be the most accurate thing to Dr. Doom's pistol (and because I couldn't get it from the game models)

I was pondering if someone could give me tips or perhaps a tutorial to modify Dr. Doom's model in Pepakura to be wearable. (Or perhaps if someone could even do it for me? :facepalm )

Last edited:
Re: WIP Doctor Doom

Looks pretty good my friend. I too have wanted to do a Doom build for a while now so keep us posted as to how it works out.

I used the same pep file for my build.
To make it fit, i widened the back slightly by cutting it up the middle and filling in with additional paper. While it was cut, I was able to carefully slide it on and confirm clearances.
After resining and fiberglassing, I cut the helmet in two, ear to ear. Attaching the halves is done with magnets.

Check out my thread if you need a visual reference. Another idea I toyed with was seperating the jaw, but I decided against it.

Looks pretty good my friend. I too have wanted to do a Doom build for a while now so keep us posted as to how it works out.

I will do! I'll be receiving my fiberglass resin and mat in a few days so I can finally begin working with that part.

TastyBurger said:
I used the same pep file for my build.
To make it fit, i widened the back slightly by cutting it up the middle and filling in with additional paper. While it was cut, I was able to carefully slide it on and confirm clearances.
After resining and fiberglassing, I cut the helmet in two, ear to ear. Attaching the halves is done with magnets.

Check out my thread if you need a visual reference. Another idea I toyed with was seperating the jaw, but I decided against it.

Hey there, TastyBurger! I actually was reading your thread a few days ago, luckily my head was able to fit inside the helm without much problem. (Except that I have to hold my ears to be able to move my head in, but besides that there is a bit of space inside so is not tight.

Also, what kind of magnets do you use? I was thinking on doing the same, make it so I can remove the mask portion (similarily to this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_c2oyqqTjR...Gn0E/s1600/Dr%2BDOOM%2Bfull%2Bcolor%2Bweb.jpg )

And what do you recommend to cut it?

Also, I uploaded a bit more pics of the helm and a random one. xD

Rare earth magnets give the most bang for the buck, and are the preferred choice on most armor builds I've seen here.
As for cutting, I masked off my cut lines and carefully used a dremel cutting wheel.

Hey there guys, updating my thread... I just finished Dr. Doom's pistol, which is something I've been seeing a lot of Doom's cosplays tend to overlook.

After some research I saw the pistol he uses in the comic is reaaaaally similar to a Luger P08 (also it's a Luger as well in most action figures I saw pictures of)

For the pistol I used a combination of cardstock and wood for the smaller pieces... I really have problems with smaller pieces so I opted to use wood for those instead than cardstock... But then as I was building I began liking the wood even more and I used more of it.

The model for the papercraft was obtained from PaperCraft Museum in case anyone else needs it as well.

Hey there guys, I'm having some troubles with the shipping of my fiberglass so I won't be able to fiberglass yet...

However I want to begin working on the armor itself, specifically the chest piece first, anyone has any advice or perhaps a pep model of Doom or similar for me to use as a base?

And then the limbs... I haven't thought much on how to work on those as well.

I actually received the fiberglass earlier and I couldn't help but try it. I just finished the resin part recently. Probably tomorrow I'll apply the fiberglass cloth inside each piece I have done so far (except for the pistol)

Oh and I also used the neckpiece from IronMan's armor... I think I'll modify it once I use bondo, I mean... The shape itself it's the same, I just have to make the design simpler when I have to sand.

Last edited:

I actually received the fiberglass earlier and I couldn't help but try it. I just finished the resin part recently. Probably tomorrow I'll apply the fiberglass cloth inside each piece I have done so far (except for the pistol)

Oh and I also used the neckpiece from IronMan's armor... I think I'll modify it once I use bondo, I mean... The shape itself it's the same, I just have to make the design simpler when I have to sand.

Did you make this from the file we had in common? I have some of it unfolded

Actually no, I did it from a Ironman's neckpiece pep I found around. You should share those files with me to see if I like them better.

I haven't been having much luck finding someone who can pep the model for me, I was thinking of using pep files from other armors and then modify them once I use the bondo and similar.

Hey there, I've been having problems with the fiberglass I bought... It's this type:

Fiberglass_woven_roving_EWR570.jpg

Anyone has tips regarding how to cut them? So far I've been using scissors and the fiberglass just crumbles into little strands and makes it so difficult to work with.

I tried to cut them with my rotary tool and it didn't work so well either. :(

Re: WIP Doctor Doom (First build, could use some tips)

I don't know much about fiberglassing, but I do know they make a much much much finer weave material to use with it.

I would try to hit an auto parts store or a hardware store and see if they have it. I don't think you can do much with that. It looks like it's made for BIG fiberglass repairs, like boats or something. The stuff I am talking about is more like... a rough weave washcloth maybe.

Chris

Hey there, I've been having problems with the fiberglass I bought... It's this type:

Fiberglass_woven_roving_EWR570.jpg

Anyone has tips regarding how to cut them? So far I've been using scissors and the fiberglass just crumbles into little strands and makes it so difficult to work with.

I tried to cut them with my rotary tool and it didn't work so well either. :(

Use a spray glue to keep it together before you cut it, then use an exacto to cut it into squares.

I used a similar type. I cut it into strips with some good, sharp scissors. The trick is to keep tension on it while cutting, or it does just fray horribly.

Seconding Tastyburgers- sharp scissors are a must, then spray adhesive to tack patches into place before resin works pretty well.

Hey there, I tried using a sharp scissor but apparently it wasn't enough, however I did my best to fiberglass my Doom's Helmet...

Sadly I have no pictures for now and I still have to sand insides of the helm and apply bondo.

Also I finished the papercraft of my chestpiece, I'll have to resin it soon and then fiberglass it... Considering it's a bigger piece I don't think I'll have much problems with the fiberglass I bought, though I guess I could try someone to sell it to to recover some of the money if it's hard to work with it on the chest piece.

Here's the chest piece I'm working on, it's based on the Lando's clone trooper pep.

The propulsors on the backpiece were extracted from the Marvel Vs Capcom 3 model of Doctor Doom (By my friend VexX) and unfolded by me. :lol

Hrmmm that doom helmet file is gone :( Oh nvm I found it lol.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back