WIP ANH Han Solo Costume

aimeekitty

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:21 am Post subject: WIP ANH Han Solo Build
I'm making a ANH Han for my husband, hopefully shooting for completion by next summer '13. I've spent a while gathering information and now I'm starting to gather parts and supplies. I'm planning on doing a fabric run sometime in the early new year.

Husbando has played various disreputable figures like Flynn from Disney's Tangled and Captain Jack Harkness from Doctor Who/ Torchwood before. (These are those costumes I made him below)
mitchh.jpg

and we both have loved Star Wars since we were kids,... so this should be fun! I'm planning on doing myself a ANH Leia. Honestly I don't know why we haven't done these costumes far before now, but at least they'll be better quality since my skill level is of course better than it was when I was 10. :3

And then these are the parts I'm slowly gathering. (They aren't all in my hands yet, but they are all paid for and on their way. ) Hopefully they will all come in without any trouble.
parts.jpg

GOT/ON IT'S WAY:
Black waist belt, 3-hole, 2-prong
falcon Vest pattern
Burda young 7733 pants pattern
original 70s long-sleeve polo shirt pattern
resin gunbelt cylinder
Russian private's leather battle riding boots. 19" shaft
Belt tools from Cornelian Exports
droid caller from PropsPlus
Doopydoos DL-44 Blaster resin kit

I'm a decent seamstress so I'm planning on making his pants, vest and shirt myself, too. I'm planning on programming the bloodstripe into my sewing machine and embroidering the stripes myself. I also enjoy painting props so doing the blaster kit should be fun (I hope!)

NEED:
ANH Metal belt parts
**** If anyone knows a good place to buy the metal ANH belt parts, I'm all ears. I'm planning on trying to do the leather work myself or have a friend help me do it.

Thanks for all the information already on these forums, it saved me a lot of hassle trying to searching things out.

My old boss had a run of belt buckles made for his ANH gun belts he sells. His site is Wade Egan Designs, popular on the Indy forums. Check with him for the buckles.

Also from experience I would highly recommend starting with a pattern for slacks, not jeans. I could be wrong because I'm on my phone and the picture isn't very clear, but if you go with a jeans pattern you'll have to remove the yolk seam in addition to adding the riding seam, which is just unnecessary work.

Please let me know how you like the falcon pattern. I've been thinking about buying it for years.

Thanks, I'll check with Wade Egan to see.

Someone else had recommended the jeans pattern, saying the fit would be better with the yoke? but I'm not too perturbed about having to remove it and add the other seam if so. It's a digital file so I'm going to have to do a fair amount of cutting and pasting anyway. I have an older pair of my husband's slacks, too, that I'm planning on cutting up and doing some comparison with. They're too wide-legged, though, but they have a tighter-looser function at the waist that he likes, so I may try to backwards engineer that into his Han pants so he can wear it at more than one waist size.

That looks great! I think my new sewing machine is actually able to do a 1/4" wide satin stitch, so I'm excited to make myself a pair of ESB pants in the near future.

Here's me about to topstitch the bloodstripe down...
hanstripes.jpg

And here's my husband trying them on before I fully put the zipper in and put the waistband on. I must have had him try on the muslin like 4 times and then the final pair (this) at least twice to make sure they fit right. Even now I might wait to finish the inner leg seam until a week or so before he wears them in case his leg size changes significantly.
hanpants.jpg

with the shirt and the pin tuck added, though I doubt you can see it... *___*

hansolo.jpg

playing around with vest size and pocket placement on the muslin.
vest.jpg

Gotta tell you, these billowed pockets were a PITA to get even remotely clean/straight. Ugh. Did my best!

WIP pockets
photo-68.jpg

mostly finished pockets (without loops in back yet)
photo-70.jpg

aimeekitty, I'm a brand new Member here (as of today, in fact) and this Comment I'm writing to you is my FIRST.

Just wanted to throw some awe your way and say how impressed I am by your skills! :):thumbsup

I'm just getting started trying to get things organized for an ESB Han Solo outfit in time for this Fall and I'm realizing just HOW MUCH there is in terms of the details that need to be right!
(I'm not a painting / sewing / crafting creative person like yourself -and so many of the other Members here- so, I think I'm just hoping that before TOO long I'll stumble upon an opportunity to simply BUY the finished pieces that I'll need from other Members here so that I can see this project though to the end!)

I guess that's just my way of expressing my envy of your husband that he's got such a talented creativity powerhouse in his corner!

Anyway, continued Best of Luck to you on this project! I'll be watching (and admiring) each step of the way!

aw man thanks, Mitch! Actually it's funny, that's my husband's name, too!

I really appreciate you bothering to register and post!
I feel you on how much there is to get together. When I originally decided to make Star Wars costumes for us, I kinda thought they would be easy, but actually it's a lot of parts and a lot of work to make a Han Solo costume! yikes! Oh well, Han Solo was one of my first fictional crushes so I suppose it's worth it. ^_- My husband loves wearing costumes with me when he likes the source material, so I'm glad to have someone who likes doing it with me. Not everyone does. It's too bad I can't get him to sew a straight line! It would be nice to have a sewing slave help with the work!

Actually I'm starting a series of posts on my blog about how I'm putting together the outfit , maybe it would be useful to you in your research? Good luck!
Making a Han Solo Costume - Getting Started - AimeeMajor.comAimeeMajor.com

I just finished the vest today to update this thread. I have to say, it was a lot of work! Oy! I don't ever want to make something like this again, haha.
There's also an interior pocket with some snaps, I figure he can put his credit cards in there to make up for his pants not having any pockets. :)
shanvestf.jpg

This is a really clean build! Great work. I'm looking forward to see what's next. This could be just the inspiration I need to keep working on mine. :)

Surprised you got your hands on the Falcon jacket pattern. I had to file a dispute with paypal for Dawn to actually send mine out. She then told me she was closing up shop. Glad to hear she didn't.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back