Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Chicago
    Apr 27, 2009, 11:11 AM - Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #1

I loved this book as a kid, and want to make Max's wolf costume for Halloween. I don't sew, so I'm going to need some help with the process.

edit: I have a bunch of screen caps now.

So, where do I start? Make some sort of pattern on paper?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fabric.jpg 
Views:	2716 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	13095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hood.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	13096   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arm_seams.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	13097  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back_seams.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	13098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crown_hood_back_seams.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	13099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crown_staff_drape.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	13100  

Name:	crown_whiskers.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	13101   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ears_hood.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	13102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ears_hood_buttons_front.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	13103  

Name:	ears_hood_seams.jpg 
Views:	2673 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	13104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hood_buttons_front.jpg 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	13105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hood_drape.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	13106  

Name:	hood_ears.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	13107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hood_staff_whiskers2.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	13108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hood_staff_whiskers3.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	13109  

Name:	hood_staff_whiskers.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	13110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hood_top_button.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	13111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outline.jpg 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	13112  

Name:	shoes.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	13113   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side_seam.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	13114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	staff_back_drape.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	13115  

Name:	tail.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	13116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tail_hood.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	13117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tail_side_seam_shoes2.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	13118  

Name:	tail_side_seam_shoes.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	13119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tail_side_seams_drape.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	13120  
    From
    Near Philly, building monsters!!
    Apr 27, 2009, 11:15 AM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are... #2

Well did you want a Max costume or one of the Wild Things?
    From
    Chicago
    Apr 27, 2009, 11:20 AM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are... #3

Max. I should've clarified.
    From
    Apr 27, 2009, 11:25 AM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are... #4

I've been looking at that costume myself, for my son of course, since we decided we want to get dressed up for when the movie comes out. I plan to hit the fabric stores in Philly in the coming weeks to scout out the fabric.

For the crown, I know I had plans somewhere on how to make a crown out of copper sheeting, but I do not remember it being to hard to make.

Tail is fake fur of course, I just have to locate a fur that looks close to what I see on the screen.

However I have been thinking about taking parts of the screen costume and mixing them with what I see in the book, like the tail is darker in the book for starters.

I hope that helps a bit. Since you do not sew, what about seeing if you can locate a pair of old fashion PJ's in the right color in your size for starters?
  5. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    New Hope, MN
    Apr 27, 2009, 2:05 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #5

wow, they made it into a movie? I loved this story when I was a kid and whined to my parents until they finally took me to the play when it was around. Heh...if you don't sew, I really don't know what to tell you, wait until the halloween outfits hit?
    From
    Apr 27, 2009, 2:26 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #6

Well depending on how accurate you want the Max costume to be to the movie, vs the book, will depend on if you want to try to hand sew some parts of this costume, like the tail. You can also use something called Stitch Witchery, which is a double sided, fusible tape that can be used to fuse seams in garments. You can also use fabric glue for securing fabric as well.
    From
    Chicago
    Apr 27, 2009, 2:39 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #7

Please don't confuse "don't sew" with "not willing to learn" because I'm willing to learn any skill I need to to get this done as movie accurate as possible (sized to me, of course).

I guess I'm looking for generic sewing tips right now. I'll get screen caps first to list the issues to tackle with this costue. Thanks for everyone's input!
    From
    Apr 27, 2009, 2:58 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #8

Well if it's sewing tips you want, here is a quick one:

When it comes to the tall, make sure the fur's nap lays away from the costume. you know, like when you pet a cat or dog, their hair lays to the tail or back. Does that make sense? Also make sure that both pieces for the tail, you will only need two pieces, are cut in the same direction of the nap of the fur.

When did you need this costume done by? If you do not need it until October, for the movie opening, I can try to help you out while making my son's costume. I plan to start my Wild Things costumes in late June, during my short break from school.
    From
    Portland, OR
    Apr 27, 2009, 3:47 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #9

Here's my reference shots. I either pulled them from the website or the trailer, I can't remember. Got some excellent clips of the fabric, the nap, and the stitching.

Free download:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/226485157/WTWTA.zip
    From
    Apr 27, 2009, 5:00 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #10

Thank you for the reference photos.
    From
    USA
    Apr 27, 2009, 5:06 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #11

If you are willing to learn basic sewing skills, there are quite a few generic Halloween animal costume patterns available in adult sizes which may serve you well. They are all designed for beginning stitchers and only take a few hours to make. For example:

http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=2853

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M8...ostumes&page=6

Hope that is helpful.

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2853t.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	13042  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    From
    Portland, OR
    Apr 27, 2009, 5:10 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #12

"BUNNNY!!!"
  13. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    New Hope, MN
    Apr 27, 2009, 7:45 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #13

OHHH! my bad, typically when people say they don't sew it means they aren't willing to try. I would tend to agree with rick x 3
    I'm a fan of taking Simplicity patterns and modding them, I think the ones he pulled are probably your best base.
  14. Member Since
    Oct 1999
    From
    Marietta, GA
    Apr 27, 2009, 9:57 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are... #14

Cleverlilminx said: View Post
    For the crown, I know I had plans somewhere on how to make a crown out of copper sheeting, but I do not remember it being to hard to make.
    How would you handle the edges of the crown? Copper sheeting can slice the living daylights out of you.... I would be tempted to use styrene instead.
    From
    Chicago
    Apr 27, 2009, 11:13 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #15

...I can try to help you out while making my son's costume.
    Thanks! I want to have it for Halloween, so we've still got time. I want to make mine screen accurate, scaled to a 5'10" kid. And now that I think about it, I might as well make a mini version for my nephew (who will be 1 years old).

rollerboi, great shots, especially of the fingers! Do you mind posting some or for me to do it?

The Simplicity patterns look good, but I'd rather have as close to the movie pattern as possible (meaning research). That's just for my personal peace of mind, otherwise I'll be unhappy with it. But those will be a great base to get used to sewing. I plan on getting a sewing machine for this project, so I'll just need to source the material.

I also agree with the styrene crown, and laminate or paint for the copper effect. It'll be more comfortable to wear as well.
    From
    Apr 28, 2009, 7:25 AM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #16

Well I'm not going to look for fabric until June/July in hopes that the stores around here start to get in their fall/winter fabrics in. However, at first glance, I have seen a fleece that had that same texture before.

For the crown, I know me well enough to know that I'll use whatever is cheap and easy. I have both Styrene sheeting and Wonderflex sitting around the house ATM. The draw to copper sheeting is that fact that I do not have to paint it and I hate painting.

Does anyone have good photos of the staff? I did see in the trailer that Max does have a staff as well. If worse comes to worse, I'll make a staff like in the book.

I also think in one photo, and I'll post it up tonight when I get back home, that the hood on the PJ's might be a seperate piece. Once I get the photo up, I would like to get some opinnions on that.

EDIT: Found the photo:

http://www.filmbums.com/wp-content/u...ngs_areflv.jpg
    Last edited by Cleverlilminx; Apr 28, 2009 at 8:05 AM. Reason: added link
    From
    Vermont, USA
    Apr 28, 2009, 8:16 AM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #17

I also think in one photo, and I'll post it up tonight when I get back home, that the hood on the PJ's might be a seperate piece. Once I get the photo up, I would like to get some opinnions on that.

EDIT: Found the photo:

http://www.filmbums.com/wp-content/u...ngs_areflv.jpg
    That's from the "test footage", and not to same costume (or kid) used in the movie, IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z46Yym346QA
    From
    Portland, OR
    Apr 28, 2009, 9:21 AM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #18

synasp said: View Post
    rollerboi, great shots, especially of the fingers! Do you mind posting some or for me to do it?
    This the one you're talking about? Why grab just one when you can get the whole reference?

I can make out a seam down the underside of the arm, and what looks like it could be a join seam at the wrist (not 100% on that one, but it'd make sense). Visible seams on the fingers must be on the underside of the hand, natch.
    From
    Apr 28, 2009, 9:36 AM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #19

I wonder what those whiskers are made of however.

As for the hood, this is a super easy pattern, needs a tiny but of modding, just add ears and attach it to the neck:

http://thegreenpepper.com/images/pdf/518%20web.pdf

Still looking for a decent pattern for the PJ's.
    From
    USA
    Apr 28, 2009, 11:42 AM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #20

If you are really concerned about screen accuracy, that pattern minx posted has two seams in the crown of the hood - that last reference pic clearly shows one down the center of Max's costume.

Whiskers like that could be done a million different ways. Synthetic broom bristles will often do in a pinch. They can be heated and shaped. The hard part is anchoring them so they stick out straight from the hood.

Judging from the limited reference shown here so far, the hood is almost certainly separate from the body. The flaps that go around the front of the neck are clearly visible undone and falling forward on that last pic.

R
    Last edited by rickrickrick; Apr 28, 2009 at 11:45 AM.
    From
    Apr 28, 2009, 12:08 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #21

Ok after surfing the web all day, I can not find the right pattern for the PJ's for Max in an adult size. So in all honesty, the Mccall's pattern mentioned before could work after it has been modified:

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M8...ostumes&page=6

Now in the book, Max's pj's have a flap on the butt, but I can not seem to see that detail on the movie verison. Does anyone have a photo of the back of the costume? Also the movie Max wears sneakers while the book verison wears slippers. I think my kid wants the slippers to be honest so that is the direction I am taking for footwear.

Now to experiment with those whiskers. I have a couple of ideas, just need to play bit.

As for the hood, that one photo I posted earlier does show it not connected to the pj's but these photos show that it is connected afterall:

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imag...ie_image_5.jpg

http://mimg.sulekha.com/english/wher...ngs-are-02.jpg
    Last edited by Cleverlilminx; Apr 28, 2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Added links
    From
    Portland, OR
    Apr 28, 2009, 12:34 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #22

I have that second picture, which does show that the hood is sewn into the pajamas, except for those front flaps. The hood can be flipped back on itself when the flaps are open.

The whiskers look to be different from shot to shot, which could be an indication of a flexible, bendy wire used and just straightened or corrected prior to the shooting session. I think a straw would snap off.
    From
    Chicago
    Apr 28, 2009, 10:56 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #23

26 pictures uploaded in the first post. Some good ones, like how this one shows exactly how the hood is attached:

We need to know what the palms look like...

oh, and no butt flap.

From
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Apr 28, 2009, 11:08 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #24

Quit worrying about a pattern and go grab a Union Suit that's a little too big for you. Use that as your pattern. When sewing a costume I'll make a test garment off the pattern out of muslin, but with a union suit that serves the same purpose. You can also study how it's made and learn how to put your real suit together. The hood is easy too.

You are going to have to hand sew a good bit of it, or invest in a serger with this fabric.

Here's your fabric:
    http://www.textenn.com/gallery5.htm
    Once it's washed it bunches up like the movie suit. Get a sample and see if it's the right stuff. I'm pretty certain it is.

Lemme know if you guys have any questions.

Laffo.
    Last edited by Laffo; Apr 28, 2009 at 11:10 PM.
    From
    USA
    Apr 28, 2009, 11:32 PM - Re: Where the Wild Things Are: Max's costume... #25

I'm afraid your TexTenn link is badly outdated. Yes, I know the site is still up, but TexTenn was bought by Monterey Mills a couple years ago. Monterey just left the website up to keep interested parties calling (the 800 number listed on the TexTenn contact page goes right to Monterey). None of the fabrics on that TexTenn page are in stock anymore. I know because I bought the last roll of the "Maize" fabric shown last month (from Monterey). The others are out of stock - but a custom run could be made if you're interested in 500 yards or so!

Rick