Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Coventry, United Kingdom
    Sep 10, 2012, 3:34 PM - Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #1

A little while ago I decided to make myself a warhammer 40K Space Marine costume. Being inspired by Crypto's Pepakura SM build I set to work.

I started with a helmet, which turned out to be too small , then had a go at a Shoulder, which turned out ok.

I realised that I would have a problem, there would be no way I could afford to Fibreglass the suit, so I put it to one side and worked on the the Bolt Pistol and Chain Sword

Then the other night my cat decided that the shoulder I had pep'd would make a comfortable bed.

So basically I would have to start from scratch. Using the pep plans as a guide I thought I'd have a go at building a shoulder from Cardboard.

Using pepakura I measured all the dimension using the "Measure Distance" function.

I freehanded the curves for the back and base, then built up the rim.

I drew out curved "levels" (again freehand) and gued them top the central support.

Then came skinning the dome, cutting wedges of cardboard I worked my way around the dome.

Next I cut out the back.

Then I resorted to the poor mans Fiberglass - paper mache.

I'm quite pleased at how it turned out, now to start on the other shoulder.

Until next time....

Peter
    From
    Coventry, United Kingdom
    Sep 13, 2012, 5:44 PM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #2

Finished the left shoulder....

I have decided to make a Deathwatch Marine (just to make life harder) so I incorporated the chapter logo.

Then using foamies did the lettering, I have sealed the foam with PVA ready for painting.

Now I have to decide what to do next.

Until next time...

Peter
    From
    NYC, USA
    Sep 19, 2012, 1:46 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #3

Wow...very cool. A Space Marine is on my bucket list, for sure.
    From
    New Zealand
    Sep 19, 2012, 2:44 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #4

Awesome! Why is it that cats always seem to choose the most important things to sit on? When im working with paper or card, ive taken to putting down an extra sheet nearby just for the cat to sit on
  5. Member Since
    Sep 2012
    From
    Southern, illinoise
    Sep 19, 2012, 4:42 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #5

budget builds. Definitely what I am into right now!
    From
    Cornwall, UK
    Sep 19, 2012, 5:01 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #6

For a budget build I think this is going to look really good. It's all very well looking through these threads seeing the perfect finish builds that cost but tbh when it's done and you turn up at a party wearing it I highly doubt any one would have the right to criticise due to the fact that you will be the most awesome looking person there

Subscribed as I was a big 40k head back in the day and wanna see you suited up In fact I was building a fully customised Nurgle army for Whitedwarf years ago, needless to say it never got finished due to a major change in my life plan but never mind I now make stuff I can wear instead

Keep up the good work,
    Tom.
    From
    UK
    Sep 19, 2012, 5:54 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #7

I love paper-mache!

And who knew Richard Hammond was a member of the Inquisition?
    Sep 19, 2012, 10:23 AM - #8

Looks good

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD
    From
    Coventry, United Kingdom
    Sep 20, 2012, 9:25 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #9

This installment.....Building the Backpack.

Again using the pepakura files as a guide, I cut out the front and back panels as one piece from a very large box.

Then I chopped around the pep file to make a template for the sides

Then again I made a template for the top panel detail piece

However, being an idiot, I forgot to take into account the thickness of the finished piece, so once i'd raised it 20mm and curved it over the top, it no longer fit, so I hand to slice it and insert an extension

The front detail panel (or would it be the back?) was simply 2-ply of cardboard, with a wedge at the bottom where it sloes away.

Next....Balls
  10. Member Since
    May 2010
    From
    Atikokan
    Sep 20, 2012, 9:29 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #10

Great work, Can not wait to see more.
    From
    Coventry, United Kingdom
    Sep 20, 2012, 9:44 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #11

This installment.....Balls

As you may know (or maybe not) the Space Marine backpack has two spherical jets, one either side.

Now I can do most things with cardboard, but making 2 20cm (8") Balls is pushing it.

So after wracking my brain for a while I came up with the idea of a football pattern (soccer for you Americans ), also known as a truncated icosahedron.

After a very long and unsuccessful google search to try to calculate the hexagon and pentagon sizes for a 20cm Dia shape, I eventually tried looking for a pepakura file for the shape...and got a hit instantly.

So I resized the file, printed out a template and started building.

I'm actually quite pleased with how they turned out, and how they look on the backpack.

To finish off the Ball Jets I added a housing simply glued to one of the facets

To make the lower side jets/vents, I basically made to boxes and cut them in half at a 45 degree angle, then I added a frame to each end using foam core.

To finish of I covered everything in paper mache, then added details with card, McDonald Coffee sticks and Cola Lids.

Until next time...

Peter
    From
    Glasgow, Scotland.
    Sep 20, 2012, 9:51 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #12

Looking great so far! Will follow this with interest
    From
    Coventry, United Kingdom
    Sep 22, 2012, 10:34 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #13

In this installement......The Helmet

I thought it was about time I tackled the Helmet, because if that didn't work i'm not sure where I would go next.

Starting from the bottom I cut out the outline of the helmet and built up the back and side panels

Then added the nose grill and top ridge

Using Pepakura I made a template for the domed top.

I built up the cheek plates and under the eyes, and fitted the top dome.

The dome had to be modified to fit

Again using pepakura to make templates I put together the pipework

Attached to pipework, closed the gap between the nose and forehead (it was looking a bit stretched), and added the chapter logo.

Here are a couple of shots of me wearing it, once finished I'll be fitting as pair of old sunglasses lenses.

Just have to paper mache it, then onto the next part.

Until next time...

Peter
  14. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Sep 22, 2012, 11:02 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #14

this is great, awesome even. i respect the hell out of the use of cardboard, reminds me off all the costumes my mom made for me growing up. i think all your proportions look good and cant wait to see more.
    From
    Pennsylvania
    Oct 6, 2012, 12:42 PM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #15

This is pretty epic I hope your still working on this. I want to build a scout set of armor myself, but I dont have the money for it... atleast with the materials I had planned... Your cardboard method seems great for poor people like myself

My scout theme is based off my DeathWatch RolePlay character who uses scout armor all the time... Which I think is funny a little here cause your basing your Marine armor off DeathWatch. Which prolly got me hooked as soon as I noticed what you were doing there
    From
    Coventry, United Kingdom
    Oct 6, 2012, 3:08 PM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #16

XeroNecross said: View Post
    This is pretty epic I hope your still working on this. I want to build a scout set of armor myself, but I dont have the money for it... atleast with the materials I had planned... Your cardboard method seems great for poor people like myself

My scout theme is based off my DeathWatch RolePlay character who uses scout armor all the time... Which I think is funny a little here cause your basing your Marine armor off DeathWatch. Which prolly got me hooked as soon as I noticed what you were doing there
    I am still working on it, I have just finished the chest piece, it has taken longer than I expected, I'll be posting an update tomorrow.

I could have used other materials but at the time I started the build, cardboard was all I had, now I set myself the challenge of completing the build as cheaply as possible.

I started with the Shoulders to see if I could pull off curves with cardboard. Once I got to the chest, I pretty much understand how to handle the material, it just takes a little planning as you have to work with the "grain" of the card.

What I would suggest is just get started, have a go with cardboard, if at a later date you can change materials great, but don't let money hold you back.

To pinch a quote "Just do it"

Until next time....

Peter
    From
    Coventry, United Kingdom
    Oct 7, 2012, 7:28 PM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #17

In this installment...Chest Plate

I don't have many WIP pictures, but here is what I do have

I couldn't use the method I employed for the shoulder pads (internal supports), so starting with the neck ring, I built up the collar, then worked around building up the panels.

Once the main panels were on I built up the rim around the bottom edge.
    I created the front grill using a Duct tape roll inside and wooden McD Coffee stirrers. (I got a bit carried away and didn't take WIP photos)

Until next time...

Peter
    Oct 7, 2012, 8:17 PM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #18

This is absolutely fantastic.

Just goes to show you can make a bad ass costume using cheap (if not free) materials.

Subbed.
  19. Member Since
    Jun 2011
    Oct 26, 2012, 2:42 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #19

Looking fantastic! Subbed.
  20. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Oct 26, 2012, 4:50 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #20

Great job i collect 40k myself and have seen many costumes at conventions but that is gonna rock
    From
    Coventry, United Kingdom
    Oct 26, 2012, 6:45 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #21

Hi All,

Thanks for all the support, at the moment Real Life has gotten in the way, but never fear I will get back to the project as soon as things settle down, I'm as eager to see this thing finished as everyone else

Until next time...

Peter
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Oct 26, 2012, 6:57 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #22

Great work! Keep going!
  23. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Oct 26, 2012, 8:10 AM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #23

Looking good.
  24. RPF Premium Member rorschach999's Avatar
    From
    Blackwood, Wales, UK
    Jan 22, 2013, 5:14 PM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #24

this is so fascinating - I have a Brother-in-law that works on the loading bays of Tesco's, so he can get loads of Cardboard boxes of various sizes and thickness - I did have an Idea to build a Spartan Suit of Armor or even a full suit of Armour but could never find any decent patterns or diagrams to do it so congrats on your build it looks fab so far
    From
    Coventry, United Kingdom
    Jan 22, 2013, 5:37 PM - Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build #25

Thanks, the project is on hold at the moment, due to the weather. The only place I have that I can build it is in the conservatory, and there is no heating, so until the weather improves or I invest in a heater, I'll stick to paper props

Peter