The Walking Dead: My Glenn Rhee costumes

Eugene

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was asked by my friends to be their Glenn for last weekend's Wizard World Sacramento con. It was tough to pick just one version, so I went with a few different ones. I focussed on the outfits that showed up in promos and/or shown in at least two episodes.

Here are the reference images for the season 1 version:

Here are the components I acquired:
Port Authority two-tone baseball cap. I had to color the rear adjustment strap burgundy and airbrush the bill to a canyon yellow color.

Champion T-1394 raglan baseball jersey in Navy blue and gray. This is the model used. I found this on Amazon.

The undershirt is dark brown from what I can tell. To get this color, I put a black T-shirt through a light chlorine bleach process. It turned out to be a nice shade of espresso brown. The shirt on the right used to be black like the one to the left.

Every pair of pants worn by Steven Yeun in the series ( so far) has been Levi's models 511 (line 8) or 513. I got a pair of slim fit 513s in dark blue:

When it comes to costuming, I get obsessive with footwear. I was lucky to find the Asics Tiger Rotation shoes in my size.

Glenn's backpack was a medium sized ALICE pack. I found one at a surplus store for $10. I had to make the straps from scratch and attach them with 1.5" triangle rings

Here's a pic of it all put together at the con. Photo by Eurobeat Kasumi Photography. (I know. Season 1 Glenn hasn't met season 3 Maggie yet. ;) )

Still waiting on head to toe shots from the con to hit the web.

Season 2 Glenn project details coming soon...

Last edited:
Cool thing with TWD is all the available real world gear, making costuming most rewarding. Doesn't mean it's always easy to find the correct gear though - it pays off to be a bit obsessive...;)

Looking good! Congrats on a great Glenn!

Season 1 Glenn with Season 3 Maggie.....

Mind_Blown.jpg

Great work on that costume. I'd have thought the jersey might have especially turned into a logistical nightmare :thumbsup

Thanks for the nice feedback, Gatekeeper and laellee!

Here's my attempt at season 2's Glenn from the episodes"Bloodletting" and "Save the Last One." First, the reference pics:

The baseball cap is a white twill, 6 panel model with a plastic snap back and a navy blue bill. I eventually weathered this one with wet coffee grinds.

I decided to make the t-shirt myself since I could not source out the original. I get the feeling a lot of Steven Yuen's shirts are custom made. I've made a few Jedi outfits and a complete Darth Maul, but I'd have to say that sewing a t-shirt is pretty tricky due to the stretchy nature of knit fabric. Here it is:

The pants are Levi's 513s in a light khaki. It has the correct dark-colored brads at the pockets and no double-stitch down the sides.

Little did I know that I've been wearing Glenn's Adidas Sambas for a couple of years. Big bonus that I didn't have to buy shoes for this outfit.

This costume was the perfect excuse to buy my first machete! The one used in the show was the Gerber Gator Machete Pro. It's pretty wicked looking. Of course I had to make a con-friendly version out of resin for the handle and styrene for the blade.

Here I am with the whole outfit along with some friends of mine. Photo by Myke S. (I'm catching up to you in continuity, Maggie!)

While changing from season 1 to season 2 Glenn costumes, my group was photo-bombed by Bruce Campbell! WTH! Really bad timing on my part.

Thanks guys! Here are a couple more photos from the amazing Eurobeat Kasumi Photography.

It was a mad scramble to complete season 3 Glenn in time for Wizard World Sacramento. Lots of late nights, but what's new when it comes to con preparation?

This is what I was going after.

Again, I had to make the shirt because this was nowhere to be found. Sewing a raglan sleeve henley was a major pain.

Airbrushed stripes onto oatmeal heather jersey knit fabric.

Crayola marker for the pinstripes. Did I mention it was close to con time? Luckily this marker ink will wash out completely so I can get another swing at the pinstripes. I'll airbrush them next time.

The pants are Levi's 511s. Thanks to my friend Darren (DW Design Studios) for sending me this reference pic.

The color appearance in these pants really varies according to lighting conditions.

Ok, I gave in to my insane shoe obsession once again. Steven Yeun wears Frye Company Thurman boots in black pebble-grain leather. It took a while for me to identify these boots. At least I got them on "sale" (still pricey!) at Zappos.

I get to sport more weapons for the zombie apocalypse with this outfit. Here's a PVC pipe made to look like a walker skull-poker. It comes apart for easy transport.
The business end of the pipe.
One of the knives Glenn carries in season 3 is the Gerber LMF 2 Infantry knife. I made a con-friendly version of it with a gray blade to match what's on screen.
I identified the belt holster for the compact Glock as the Bianchi model 130. Here it is along with the sheath for the LMF 2 knife.
And finally, a resin Glock 19 replica. I ended up using a Dremmel to take out the bits behind the trigger.

Last edited:
Thanks a million.

Here are some pics of everything put together.
(Photo by Bertha C.)
(Photo by Mark CL)

A preview of my recently acquired riot gear.
(Photo by Mark CL)

Just got some pics from Wamser Photography. Like the previous two, these were taken behind the building where I work. Perfect backdrop for a photo shoot like this. The most fun came from hanging out with such a great crew.

Here's my full riot gear (made by Security Pro USA) along with my crossbow-packing pal.

I'm finishing up with a season 4 Glenn.

I've identified the make of the backpack as Arc'teryx based on the shoulder straps. The knife which is strapped to the pack is a Gerber Big Rock. I made a con-safe version of this knife and scratch-built a leather sheath since it came with a flimsy nylon one.

Just a quick paint job on the resin knife and it's done.

I acquired a couple of new items for season 4 Glenn. It took a while to find the right thigh holster. I saved a bunch of money by getting a $16 thigh holster marketed for Airsoft pistols. It looks like a replica of a Bianchi thigh holster system. I replaced the stock 2" side release buckle with an accurate one and made a couple of minor mods to the holster and shroud. Here are reference pics:

Here's mine:

Next thing I got was an M4 rifle replica. I wanted the version from the prison escape as seen here and in the Terminus "Who Will Arrive?" promo poster.

The optic used on screen was an Aimpoint PRO (retails for $450!). I found a non functioning Colt brand Airsoft rifle for $50 and a replica of an Aimpoint PRO optic for about $38. Much better on the wallet!

Thank you, sir.

There's a 10 percent chance of attending SDCC this year. (I like to tell myself that every year.) We shall see...

Updating this thread with some new stuff. Since my last post here, I've acquired the orange Arc'teryx Axios 50 backpack, the screen accurate Hugo Boss Sassari long-sleeve t-shirt, and the Carhartt Sandstone Ridge jacket.
IMG_4692.JPG B7ADBF54-1285-422A-8463-07DB6213CA05.JPG 0D15FAA1-573B-4BED-BD13-7B169E857BFF.JPG C9A4EF5D-1766-468B-A829-866322FB4C75.JPG

I also weathered my riot gear and applied duct tape in the right spots.
IMG_1001.JPG

I took my daughter with me to Wizard World Reno in November as a mini version of Tara Chambler. Here's the Motormouth Mabel t-shirt I made for her and the plaid shirt I modified.
IMG_0977.JPG

This is the look we were going for (left) and the result to the right. It was nice to meet Scott Wilson and Michael Rooker wearing these outfits.
IMG_1067.JPG IMG_1064.JPG

Season 5 Glenn Rhee is currently in the works...

You have got some incredible con gear sir. I was searching for Glenns Frye boots for forever when they first appeared on the show and had no luck.

again, great work and attention to detail!:thumbsup

Great stuff man. I'm pretty new to The RPF but this is a great thread to get ideas for Glen costumes. Keep up the good work!

I'm a bit stuck on one piece of clothing that Glen wears during the last episode of season 5. It's this brown-ish flannel jacket and I have searched hi and low trying to match it online. Anyone have any suggestions of what brand that is, where to get it, or even some suggestions on where to find that pattern of flannel so I could make my own? Attached are screenshots.

twd_glen_flannel_1.jpgtwd_glen_flannel_2.jpgtwd_glen_flannel_3.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back