Vogue Loki - I finally finished a costume! (Photo Heavy)

TheLadyNerd

For all the threads I've started on these forums, it's high time I show something finished for once! (I'll confess, lack of funds usually keeps me from finishing most costumes or biting off way more than I can chew.)

Shortly after the Avengers film came out, a bevy of fan art started circulating around the web. Some friends of mine liked one of the femme-venger sets consisting of character themed cocktail dresses. I was going to pass on it due to having too much to do and I'm not a big fan of small body-con dresses myself. A couple hours later, one friend popped up to tell me, in no uncertain terms, that I would be doing Loki. After a few rounds of debate, I finally relented on the condition that I got to design my own dress. While there was nothing wrong at all with the artist's design, my own artist mind just couldn't quite see Loki in a short body-con dress. Loki has a flair for theatrics, so I figured if everyone else showed up in cocktail dresses, Loki would show up in a full-fledged gown. Why? Because she could.

So I quickly sketched out a two-piece gown inspired by the film versions of Loki. I didn't do an exact representation as I wanted to keep a high fashion element to it. That way I could get away with wearing it outside geek circles. Here's the basic turnaround...

Femme_Loki2.jpg

Then coloured...( I am NEVER doing a costume design with coloured pencils like this again. I should've just stuck with my usual marker rendering, but I was hoping to get a more subtle gradient in the body of the dress. Ah well, I learned something!)

Femme_Loki_colour.jpg

I found a beautiful psuedo-silk dupioni fabric at Joann's and used the wrong side of it for the bodice and skirt (which had more texture and brilliant sheen). The original intent was to ombre dye the fabric from black to the green. Unfortunately I didn't realise that it was not a silk blend, but 100% polyester. I learned very quickly that polyester repels dye. (The fabric was left sitting overnight in an entire tub of black dye and it didn't dye a smidge!) :facepalm

Unfortunately I can't sew to save my life, but thankfully my incredibly talented seamstress friend, Angelica, came to my rescue. I gave her the drawings and the fabric (we also used a polyurethane psuedo-leather skirt from the 80s for the fabric of the leather parts of the costume) and let her do her thing. Also, the brass parts on the shoulder are one zipper that's been pulled apart to make separate strands.

400468_10152020484015313_944056230_n.jpg

304790_10152020474170313_1786976826_n.jpg

312028_10152020507780313_1282554688_n.jpg

(Funny sidenote: I hardly consider myself tall, but apparently I was taller than the mannequin at full height, so Angelica had to stick a box underneath it to make up for the difference!)

I had a major stroke of luck finding a decently accurate bib necklace and geometric bracer at Forever 21 (Finding fairly accurate AND cheap materials - major win!). I had debated on distressed the jewelery, but decided against it so I could wear the pieces with other outfits. (Funnily enough, I've worn the necklace with other clothes and inevitably someone says, "Hey, isn't that kind of like Loki's bib/collar thing?")

I debuted the finished costume at Dragoncon 2012, followed by a subsequent photoshoot last month. I'm still waiting on the last batch of photos, but here's the final costume! (Makeup inspired by female Loki from the comics.)

IMG_9076.jpg

IMG_9162-1.jpg

IMG_9156.jpg

IMG_9227.jpg

IMG_9219.jpg

IMG_9279.jpg

Photographs © Kyle McLaughlin 2012 - nashville, tennessee photographer studio kgm, inc.
Makeup - Aisha Daly

Last edited:
Wow! That is a great look, came out equal parts sinister and sexy - which, as far as I can tell by all my female friends who swoon over Loki, is exactly the point.

I completely understand your frustration with colored pencils. If there's a way to use them without looking like the work of a 4th grader, I haven't found it.

I LOVE that dress. I'm glad I finally got to see it in person! It looked so dramatic blowing in the (freezing cold) wind.

Polyester can be dyed, but you have to use the right type of synthetic dyes. You can also do it with alcohol-based inks, though that takes a little more precision. But I think the all-green skirt actually works really well here, so it's just as well it didn't take.

(And let's talk colored pencils sometime. They can do really nice gradients with the right technique... it's pretty much all I use for my portraits nowadays.) ^_^

AVA - Oh that wind at GMX was perfect for the skirt. That is undoubtedly my favourite part of the whole costume. It adds that perfect epic element.

My friend and I first used regular black RIT dye (mistake), but once we realized it was polyester we went back to Joann's to get the polyester-specific dye and it STILL did diddly squat! But I'm glad everyone likes the green. It bugs me a bit since Loki's costume is mainly black. But it's just such pretty fabric!

I have had some success with coloured pencils portraits ---> TheLadyNerd's deviantART Gallery, so I'm wondering if it was the paper I was using. Or I just got lazy.:lol

I think I've told you before, but I love this. In a world seeped in far too much Loki, this one sticks out to me above all else. Also that green fabric is just stunning the way it drapes.

LOVE the composition of these photos as well. These belong in a high class editorial ;)!

Gorgeous. Very beautiful, clean work! The finished look reminds me a lot of a Mortal Kombat-style character - sleek and deadly. Do you intend to make some kind of horns/crown to go with it?

CelticRuins - Thank you! That means alot. I knew Loki would be a popular character to cosplay, but I had no idea just how many Lokis would be running around (specifically female Lokis). I got roped into doing this costume. But I'm very glad I did it.

James Kenobi - Thank you! :)

Flyaway - Thanks ever so much!

Keseleth - I've wrestled back and forth between doing horns or not (though I tell you, after Dragoncon I had some serious horn envy!). But even after coming up with different styles of tiaras/headbands/etc. it all came out looking more costume than fashion. I wanted to keep it looking like a Vogue editorial. So my excuse is that Loki doesn't wear the horns in most of the film. :lol

Ruddigger - They are Prismacolor, indeed.

And here's the last few from the shoot. Enjoy!

IMG_9127.jpg

IMG_9165.jpg

IMG_9109.jpg

IMG_9113.jpg

IMG_9120.jpg

((I left the eyebrows in on this one, 1) The expression didn't look right without them and 2) So you can see what we they looked like pre-retouching)
IMG_9296.jpg

Last edited:
I LOVE this!

But I like most of what I've seen of your stuff. I though I saw you at DCon dressed as Selina Kyle, and thought "hey! that's that nerd lady from the RPF!" "I
m going to go introduce myself!"
Then something shiny happened...
That's Dragon Con for ya.
Squirrel!

So beautiful! If I were you I'd be looking for opportunities to wear that outside of just cons. I think it could work...though maybe without the black lipstick. :p

Hot stuff there lady! I like the green. If you are brave and want to tone down the green skirt at the waist like your drawing. Several light misting of black matte spray paint can get you closer to that look. You'll need to feather it out. Smashing Costume on a classy lady!

Wow, this thread got buried so I didn't even realise there were comments after I posted the last batch of photos. D'oh!:facepalm

EHyde - Why thank you!

Darth Mule - That's very kind of you to say (and yes, that was me in the Selina Kyle getup. I was rather surprised people recognised the costume since it was the train scene dress and not the catsuit. One day I shall do that catsuit when I have beacoup bucks!). Next time, stop and say hi!

docholiday78 - Thanks ever so much!

dan7butler - *blushes* Thank you.

iycis - Oh I fully intend to if such an occassion arises.

pat0003 - Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'm settled with the dress as is. It may not have been my original intent, but it seems a lot of people respond mostly to the sumptuous green fabric. So I shall leave it as is. Thanks again though!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back