Two Pilots engaged in Neural Bridge: Gipsy Danger and Cherno Alpha online

dbsamurai

So I was debating starting a thread over here for the work of myself and my friend in making ourselves some Jaeger suits. As much as I feel like I don't have the kind of skill and detail for the sort of things I see uploaded here pretty regularly I figure since I'm using the pep files you guys have been gracious enough to post I should probably return the favor by showing how well they're working out.

On the plus side I don't really have anyone to compare to yet since it doesn't look like anyone else is making Jaegers just yet, so I haven't started kicking myself over obvious details I've missed :p

This is actually my fourth suit, but this is my friend Hailee's first suit. We're both aiming for 7 feet (with myself being roughly 6 and a half it shouldn't be too hard) but she's a tiny 4' 11". As such we're giving her 8 inch lifts via the feet as wood stilts and the added height boost from Cherno's cooling tower.

So far we're working on the main platform to get the suits wearable by Halloween. We aim to have them fully functional (lights, fans, tiny details, the whole shebang) by Phoenix Comicon next year. Here's what we have so far:

4Y8fiH0l.jpg

Gipsy's Back is mostly done, but I'm concerned that I misplaced the rear thrusters, as the model simply had them clipping into the model rather than attached in any sort of way. I tried going off of ref pics but...well it just looks wrong to me.
Z8hWuRll.jpg

Gipsy's front is the shoulder rigging (so that I can remove the breastplateentirely) as well as the little sensor nubs along the collar bone and the numerous lights
OSnkgxRl.jpg

Lastly the feet are done, as we're now building from the ground up to make sure we've got the proper height requirements. My feet are essentially heels and give me a 4 inch lift putting me at 6' 9" just while wearing the shoes, and a full 7 feet with the collar above my head.

And now Cherno:
eBORVXCl.jpg

Cherno is a bit warped due to the guess-and-check method of assembling the front of the chest. Namely, the chest didn't have any sort of filling, with all the pieces being floaters that had no real assembly reference...mercifully I found a pretty good reference online that gave us a good view of how the back fit into the front.
We'll also be tinting the clear polycarbonate parts and adding a transparent gold plate to the faceplate so that they all look proper but she can still see out of the suit. We'll also be adding fans to the chest vents to help keep her cool
bVUJqH0l.jpg

Here you can also see the beginnings of our panelling design to make the jaegers look like "ships with lots of welded plates" as Del Toro put it. Here we also had some positioning problems due to the model being clipped again, so that's resulted in a bit of lean...
And finally the stilts are in progress:
1233616_10151549105595356_1166831624_n.jpg

Subbed!
Yay Cherno Alpha, too. I'll be working on a Trespasser build later on, so it'll be cool to see some Jaegers around to headbutt with the ol' axe head :D

hey they look pretty cool man. Cherno Alpha is my favorite. There are some .PDOs floating around here that could give you a look at all the different angles and detail of the jaegers if you need it. much luck to you, will be watching

hey they look pretty cool man. Cherno Alpha is my favorite. There are some .PDOs floating around here that could give you a look at all the different angles and detail of the jaegers if you need it. much luck to you, will be watching

These are looking great! If you have Pepakura Designer, SriLANKING and I uploaded models cleaned and uploaded from the xbox 360 game that might help you for reference pictures. You can download the files from the first post:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/pacific-rim-jaeger-model-resource-read-1st-post-before-questions-191528/

Good luck on building, glad somebody's giving it a shot :thumbsup

Those are actually the files I'm using that are rather...clippy...lots of floating pieces without a lot of lineup. That said they're still miles better than any of the other files I've found looking across the 'net. I've actually been chatting with SriLANKing over at 405th about how to tweak the pieces.

Thanks for the encouragement! It seems everybody loves Cherno most of all, even my fiance is more into what Hailee's making than what I am :lol Hopefully things stay on schedule, which should be tricky with school and work and all that fun stuff...

Subbed!
Yay Cherno Alpha, too. I'll be working on a Trespasser build later on, so it'll be cool to see some Jaegers around to headbutt with the ol' axe head :D

Sweet! Been lookin' for some people makin Kaiju. Are you doing a cast body suit? That seems like a tricky thing to make even in pep...

Sweet! Been lookin' for some people makin Kaiju. Are you doing a cast body suit? That seems like a tricky thing to make even in pep...

Honestly at this stage I've not thought that far ahead! I doubt I'll cast too much of it, more likely I'll fabricate the whole thing from EVA and upholstery foam and use rubberised stretch fabric for the skin with sculpted details in some kind of epoxy clay. That's my initial thought. Keep it light and maneuvrable. Add in EL wire and LEDs for the bioluminescence and it'd be set, I think. Might have to see about getting some animatronics in the second set of arms and in the head, vision... will be an issue. hehe.

Honestly at this stage I've not thought that far ahead! I doubt I'll cast too much of it, more likely I'll fabricate the whole thing from EVA and upholstery foam and use rubberised stretch fabric for the skin with sculpted details in some kind of epoxy clay. That's my initial thought. Keep it light and maneuvrable. Add in EL wire and LEDs for the bioluminescence and it'd be set, I think. Might have to see about getting some animatronics in the second set of arms and in the head, vision... will be an issue. hehe.

May I suggest some blackout clothe in the face to allow you to see? I assume Trespasser's head would be the "helmet" of this suit as it were, you could install it in the niches around the eyes to allow you to see like those halloween masks with slits under the fake eyes to see out of.

May I suggest some blackout clothe in the face to allow you to see? I assume Trespasser's head would be the "helmet" of this suit as it were, you could install it in the niches around the eyes to allow you to see like those halloween masks with slits under the fake eyes to see out of.
I think my face would probably be more in the neck area, so I could possibly have a vision panel in that area. The neck is pretty long compared to a human neck, so I think the head would probably be close to a foot above mine, with close to another foot of "axe"! Mad stuff. I'll have to do some proportion sketches, figure it all out. It'd be hilarious to have slow-mo Jaeger/kaiju battles at a convention using toy vehicles and scenery. haha!

Looks like it's shaping up nicely! And I totally feel you on the "guess and test" method of working with foam. Especially the 2mm stuff. I started hardening it on the back side of the foam with white glue (where it won't need finishing) as soon as I was happy with the prototype. Otherwise it just becomes a floppy mess, regardless of how big or small it is.

I'll be working on a Trespasser build later on

DERPY TRESPASSER FTW!!! :lol

Wow thanks for all the encouragement! We've gotten some more work done thankfully.

I've gotten one shin done (mostly as a test so I'd know how far apart everything is supposed to be). There was a bit of a scaling issue with the pep files though. They come as a shin armor and a calf piece, and the scale factor for the two appears to be different because my shin came out about 2 inches shorter than my calf... However I filled it with a bunch of pistons that I found in this reference:

http://www.movieviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/GipsyDanger_Side.jpg

XdXscN7l.jpg

HGk5MBnl.jpg

cZgy5ZKl.jpg

Hailee meanwhile is working on her stilts...we're doing some shenanigans to encase the wood in foam for the proper details and dimensions while still making them wearable...

kr2N0hTl.jpg

Sorry for the long wait guys, it's been hectic with life and all that fun stuff...got a buttload of work done though!

My shins and feet are done:

rul3fwql.jpg

jpjnBDBl.jpg

yDuUgo1l.jpg

I tried to cram as much detail and working piston assemblies into it as I could

Cherno's feet are also mostly done, with the shins not far behind:

VnLhV1jl.jpg

And now i'm gonna go pass out cause I'm running on like 20 hours of sleep over the last 4 days...

Work continues, my bretheren! Cherno's thighs are currently a work in progress, while my thighs are temporarily complete:
BXd1EqIl.jpg

eyzfmWFl.jpg

Got something resembling the knee assembly in there, but it's significantly wider than the real thing should be on account of me actually having...you know...knees...

I'll be adding the piston assemblies at the back once I get the codpiece done, so that I'll know how long to make them so they won't clip into the framework. Also: Gipsy's a legs kinda girl:
wPIbyLkl.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back