Twinight's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Ninjago Kai ZX and Nya

twinight

I've joined RPF 2 years ago when I was inspired by the tron legacy thread. I made my first costume for the premier and it came out great. A second one for my son using EL tape came next for our first comic-con trip. After a year on haitus, my son needed a new halloween costume.

His current favorite shows were my little pony and ninjago. I suggested my little pony to test the waters and indeed it was cold. A crossover character as depicted in Deviant art didn't fly either :0

It was to be a Ninjago character. And he had to have armor.
I wanted to do Jay with his plated right side or maybe the bushido training armor.
But to my 5 year old's favorite Kai wins. To a 5 year old, the sword beats all other weapons. And who wields a sword? KAI

First thing was to sit down with my son and watch a few episodes of the cartoon and get some reference pictures.

WP_000795_zpse7b0b624.jpg

KGrHqFrUE-lIbreGRBPvQFdNS60_12.jpg

WP_000794_zps379966f6.jpg

The problem of converting a 1" toy to a real life costume is the lack of detail.
Scale it up and it ends up looking too simplistic. Some details are just colored lines which need interpretation to translate.

First I start off with the base Gi which fortunately also comes in red.
After a test fitting, the 000 is still a but large on him. I will have to hem the sleeves and pants. Good thing is the costume can be enlarged to fit him as he grows in the following years.

IMG_0001_zpsa5b935c3.jpg

10/10

A trip to Jo Anne fabrics is in order. I pick up some matching fabric for the hood, some breathable fabric for the mask, grey fabric for the trim and faux leather for the armor.

Dying the sleeves burgundy to darken them. To stop the dye from bleeding past the shoulder seam, I let the dye bleed up and then I wet the rest of the fabric to stop the bleeding.

IMG_0002_zps311235aa.jpg

10/12
I went and got the sewing machine down from the attic.

I cut the grey fabric into strips and sew on the trim. The sleeves were especially difficult,trying to sew around a 4" diameter cuff.

IMG_0001_zps5cf626ac.jpg

IMG_0003_zps32c012bb.jpg

The hood needed to be somewhat loose fitting and at the same time, needed to keep the head crest in place. It was built in 3 parts. The base bavaclava which holds tight to the head. The breathable fabric that goes around the face. And the triangular hood which wraps around and gives the whole thing the ninja look. The hood was sewed to the bavaclava at the forehead where the crest was velcroed on. The elastic face wrap was sewed in the back to the bavaclava to keep it from sliding down as he moves.

I am not a fairy princess!

IMG_0003_zpse0e8268e.jpg

10/13
I have a nieces birthday part to go to today, but spent some of the morning making the belts.

I cut some brown pleather into strips, folded them over and sewed them into belts. The buckles were also from Jo-Ann fabrics.

IMG_0003_zps4779ebab.jpg

10/14
Finally a full day to make some progress.

I had some 1/8" and 1/4" plastazote left over from the tron build for the armor parts. I began with the head crest. It was difficult to get the facets correct and have it curve to fit a head . First I had to make some convex V -cuts to get the piece to curve at the right diameter. After which I made a couple oversize pieces which I could trim down to the right shape later. I should have tested with paper first and save a bit of foam.

IMG_0001_zps24cd014d.jpg

The back, I hot glued some 14 gauge wire to keep the curve and eventually some velcro for attaching to the hood.

IMG_0006_zps00c3671b.jpg

IMG_0004_zps9c6d8024.jpg

Painted and attached

IMG_0004_zpsd900bc98.jpg

Using some construction paper, made some patterns for the breastplate armor. I left some tails for the shoulder pads as another possible method of attachment. I'm winging it at this point, and need a plan before I move forward.

IMG_0002_zps5844f420.jpg

Then I moved onto the shoulder armor. I made some scalloping scales from 1/4" plastazote. I bevelled the edges with a razor blade and coated them with mod podge. The rubber band to hold the curve turned out to be a mistake since the mod podge would create a raised edge against the side of the rubber bands.

IMG_0008_zps72975a8f.jpg

The next step was to use Xrobot's method of coating the foam with casting resin to get a smooth finish. Since I was using metallic gold paint, a glossy base was crucial for a reflective finish.
To hold the curve, I used bamboo skewers. I carefully located the skewers where the pins that ultimately hold the scales together would be located.
I used the only casting resin I had on hand. Crystal Clear 202. With a 9 minute pot life, it should work the same.

IMG_0001_zpsa07ab1da.jpg

My mistake was trying to coat too many pieces at once. What resulted was some pieces showing runs and brush strokes. I started sanding some of the runs and tried a second coat. Unfortunately I had an allergic reaction to the dust from the sanded resin. My arms and face paid the price. It's just like getting poison oak. My ears and nose welled and dried up in an itchy mess. My arms were itching like mad.
Here is the painted and assembled shoulder armor. Looks like wax on a snowboard before scraping, but I dare not sand it anymore.

IMG_0001_zps97e91595.jpg

10/16
The sword.

"Can't he use the one he bought at legoland?" asked my wife. "uh, NO".....
Kai all guilded up in gold armor need more than an off-the shelf toy ninja sword, he needs the Legendary Dragon sword of fire.
The golden dragon sword is the coolest accessory for the costume. It's all about the sword.

WP_000797_zps32c1eb56.jpg

WP_000801_zps93e05d81.jpg

I had originally bought a wood boken for him, but decided to start from scratch and make it out of foam using EvilFX's method
So I started out making paper templates tracing photographs in autocad. I carefully sized the sword so he can draw it from his back by himself. I cut the main halfs from EVA mats, and the layered detail pieces from 1/4" plastazote. The center spine was a 1/4" piece of aluminum rod.

IMG_0002_zps9ba1c031.jpg

IMG_0002_zpsf28ae238.jpg

IMG_0001_zpse05771b2.jpg

IMG_0002_zpsabfa173d.jpg

10/17
The sword "ring"

On Kai's back is a gold ring that holds the sword.

WP_000777_zps1d121aad.jpg

When I went to the local True value hardware for fasteners for the shoulder armor, I found some trim rings for the old electric stoves. These were a little large in diameter, but had good thickness. I pinned two of them together with 2" standoffs and polyethylene tubing to hold the rings apart.

IMG_0004_zpsaffa0574.jpg

10/18
Applying the casting resin to the sword.
After a few coast of mod podge, I mixed up a little bit of casting resin.
This time it went on much better. The resin did a good job filling in the some of the sanding marks made by the drum sander.

IMG_0004_zpsce23c5d6.jpg

10/19
One night left. No more procrastinating on the breastplate.

I covered the foam armor using the pleather. The contact cement I had from years past dried up into molasses. It appears that it has been replacde with some environmentally friendly water based stuff which turned out to be a waste of $15. Following the instructions of letting it sit for 40 minutes before attaching did not help. It seemed too dry and had little tack, but after waiting a day to dry, I could easily separate the pieces by hand. The adhesive was still wet and had no tack to it. So I went back to using hot glue.

IMG_0001_zps2968fec8.jpg

The ring was attached by 2 screws to the back of the breast plate. The front is attached with velcro to allow removal with buckles to from the upper plate to the lower. I painted the brown pleather red for the upper breastplates.

IMG_0003_zps1f197ebb.jpg

My wife found some scroll tattoo patterns and printed and cut out one that looked detailed enough and fit the breastplate proportions.

IMG_0004_zps281b364e.jpg

In the center of his back is the lion crest with a flaming mane. You can barely make out the shape from the toy.

WP_000776_zps5ce16e8d.jpg

I took some creative liberty by taking some elements from some googled images to make a more detailed crest of a flaming lion. It was cut out of yellow fabric and the lines drawn on with a sharpie.

IMG_0002_zpse7bfe327.jpg

IMG_0010_zpsb30d5c95.jpg

Here's the finished breastplate.

IMG_0001_zps0f50d582.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Twinight's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Ninjago Kai ZX

My wife is giving me a hard time for not giving my daughter the same attention, so I decided to make a matching Nya costume for my 18 month old. So my entry may be for the group category.
I'm making the red Qi Pao and the armor on top of that.

nya-1.png

6962776608_dd58c6f285_o.jpg

7108849895_c1ccea8553.jpg

Last edited:
My daughter happens to have a yellow Qi Pao that she hasn't worn yet. I used that to make some paper patterns.

17502-img-0001.jpg

Then I modified them to get the same shape breast flap and elongated it to knee length. My wife insisted that I add sleeves for the weather.

17503-img-0002.jpg

I got quite a bit done last night. I cut out the fabric and got all the panels sewed together. I even did the collar with the white piping, but the scrolls will have to be hand sewed on later.
I'm pleasantly surprised that it looks wearable.:cool

17505-img-0003.jpg

Not bad since it's my first time sewing an entire article of clothing from scratch.
Of course there are areas like the arm pits which seem to be pinched/not aligned.
I need to get some satin blanket edging for the lower fabric, frog closures, belt/sash material and something to make/paint the crane symbols.

Last edited:
Thanks Mojo, your's turned out awesome as well!

Just got back from a long weekend out so I don't know if I have time to do the armor before halloween. I cut out a template for the crane emblem out of a beer can to use as a mask.

17577-img-0002.jpg

Unable to find gold airbrush paint that was not metal flake, I resorted to use krylon on the fabric. It was difficult to get the mask flush on the fabric, some edges were not well defined from overspray. I also noticed that I made the image too large compared to the reference images. I got the satin white edging sewed all around and frog closures and scroll collar trim hand sewed on. So the Qi Pao is essentially finished. I hope I have time to do the armor, if not I'll get some plumb colored sash/belt material and call it finished.

17579-img-0005.jpg

I took some fitting shots last night right after I finished the pants.

17796-vogue.jpg

17795-dagger-play.jpg

I managed to get a proof picture just before we went out for trick-or-treating.

17794-proof-picture.jpg

Attack of Kruncha! Ninja - Go!

17798-beheading-kruncha.jpg

This is the first year halloween in this neighborhhood and boy was it disappointing. Mostly empty nesters and only every 4th house was decorated and giving out candy.
Nya prefers to hold candy rather than daggers.

17797-trick-treat.jpg

We decided to hit up the mall for some dinner. My son insisted on stopping by the lego store first!

17801-terrorizing-mall.jpg

17799-hitting-up-lego-store.jpg

All-in all they had a good time, my son was disappointed that he had to trick-or treat with only a few kids and houses instead of a crowded neighborhood with kids everywhere. I think my daughter had a better time than he did. Next time we are going back to our old neighborhood.

Challenges:

I've got a lot to learn about sewing.
Nya's pants were tight and I didn't take into account the extra folds for the waistband. The result? Probably the first low ride pants for 18 mo kids. Don't use stretchy pants to use as a pattern.

Gotta lock the edges of the fabric to prevent fraying. My son on halloween day, threw up at school.....in his costume. So into the washing machine it went, but after it came out, I had to take scissors to all the fraying edges.

Resin. Do not sand crystal clear 202! That stuff gave me poison oak symptoms for a week.

18 month kids will not sit still for anything. Measurements, fitting, and especially pictures.

Got to make the costumes comfortable. That excitement of wearing it goes away quick when it gets too hot, or the edge of something starts poking the skin. Don't sacrifice accuracy for comfort. They aren't cosplayers.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back