TRON: Legacy - Robes

Zeraphan

I have done a great deal of searching/reading on these forums, so I apologize if I somehow missed this and it was answered else where. I think my mind has gone somewhat numb from reading through the 60+ pages of lighting techniques for everyone's costumes.

There has been a great deal written and done on the costuming in the new movie although it seems no one is really doing much with the robes that Bridges wears in either of his two forms.

I was wondering if anyone had worked or was planning on working on these outfits. Patterns that might be used, etc.

When I watched the movie this past weekend I was instantly caught up and blown away (in my head) with the connection that these robes made. They took two of my favorite things growing up, TRON and Star Wars and created the perfect combination, a Digital Jedi.

While the armor and costuming is awesome, I really want to create these robes as they would be more "practical" for every day wear and look simply amazing if done properly.

Please tell me that by "everyday wear" you mean you intend to wear these as part of your normal clothes!

If so I'm requesting pictures of you, in the robe, at your place of employment going about your job. :lol

-Nick

I would in fact wear stuff like this to work. I teach high school computer science and have taught in costume many times. That aside, the robe that Bridges wears as Flynn, the black with only inner white lighting (minus disk on back) I could see myself wearing all the time as a normal jacket. Yes, I am that kind of guy.

I would in fact wear stuff like this to work. I teach high school computer science and have taught in costume many times. That aside, the robe that Bridges wears as Flynn, the black with only inner white lighting (minus disk on back) I could see myself wearing all the time as a normal jacket. Yes, I am that kind of guy.

You woulda been my favorite teacher! But kids today are kinda cruel and ruthless to anything that isn't "normal" behavior in their little world. (I'm sure I don't need to tell you that!)

I really dug the robes too. would be a kickass costume and way easier than the grid warrior suits.

I'm sure one of the resident costume/sewing gurus will be along any time to tell you what pattern was adapted to make these robes! :)

You woulda been my favorite teacher! But kids today are kinda cruel and ruthless to anything that isn't "normal" behavior in their little world. (I'm sure I don't need to tell you that!)

Oh yeah, I can put my John Hancock under this statement - no respect or whatsoever...

But back to the topic: I'm telling you all the whole year, this Grid style will be the next fashion trend! Believe me!

I like is because the "Robes" style is a little more forgiving for those of us with less ...spandex forgiving bodies. Besides it was a cool ass costume with Jeff first appearing as CLU. Good luck to you !

They look very much like the Kimono pattern from folkwear. Should be an easy modification. Now to beg the wife to make me a set!

The robes were really nice costumes, loose and organic in contrast to the other costumes which are super artificial and form fitting.
And yet they Tronned it up in a clever way, using artificial fabrics like polyester and putting some lights along the cuffs and collar.

Also it's more character and age appropriate, Jeff Bridges in a rubber costume would look like someone's dad wanted to cosplay as Sam Flynn.
But instead he kind of looks like a digital god in his robes which is rather fitting.

I think this would be the cheapest and easiest costume to do, although you're going to need ALOT of fabric, I'd say four - six metres at a guess. More for the black costume as there's a coat that he wears over the top.

A simple robe pattern should do, it might need a little altering, but both the black and white costumes are the same shape.
For the outer coat, depending on your skill level and the pattern you're working with, you might just be able to alter it.

As for the light tape, the white costume only has light in the sleeves. The black coat has it in the sleeves as well as the hood which extends down the entire hem at the front. So it's all a matter of measuring the costume once you've made it.
But it will definitley be less than the other Tron costumes.

Also the Hot Toys figure is good reference.

I noticed on Flynn's white robes, the circuit designs coming off from the disc on his back. Looked like they were done in a metallic white so they only just showed, but i really like that effect. Couldnt see what the designs worked out as they may have had a specific design.

I noticed that too the other day. I work at Kmart, mostly in the toy department so I love looking at all the Tron merchandise.
First thing I noticed about the ID disks was a) why did so many people on these forums bother customising the black ID disc when they ended up releasing every other colour? and b) the white Id disk package has a photo of Kevin's back and there's some nice subtle little patterns worked in there.
So if anyone's looking for reference, there it is.

I would absolutely love to start working on some of the robes right now and it seems overall relatively simple. Using light tape one could accomplish this but I think it may be simpler and more cost efficient to use EL wire and either encase it in a tape or possibly ribbon sewn on over it or even behind it. I've never messed with EL wire before so if many of you have experience with it and ideas on how to best go about it I'm sure we'd love to hear it.

Indeed holmes, Kevin Flynn's costume penetrates towards that difficult balance between the aesthetics of Asian meditative traditions and Western social norm.

It's a great example of Confucian aesthetics forming a beachhead in Western fashion, and it can't happen without people willing to wear it out in public to:

A) Evolve public perception, and
B) Gauge the survivability of whatever you're wearing, and refine the balance between self satisfaction and drawing unwanted attention.

It takes innovation and courage to pursue life, liberty, and happiness.

Christine Clark designed the costumes on Tron: Legacy, but I haven't been able to find diddly squat on that sweet-ASS robe!

Why? WHY? Why can I not even mention of The Flynn Robe online, let alone a name credit to that design, or an online shop where I can buy it in black Merino wool and white satin, with an interior lining of soft, "quiet" GoreTex so it's wind/rain proof. That wold be unbelievably bad-ass!

And yes, I would wear that around all the time. No pockets. Just an ultimate outer layer.

As for his inner gear, the jacket, pants, boots... I could ABSOLUTELY rock that, but I can see wear it would cause enough backlash in the mind of the general population that I might get unpleasant results peppered in with my pleasant ones. That's no good enough. Tweaking the costume to fit in juuuuuuust enough is a better plan than waiting for the world to stop being a dumb ass.

Worth investing in.

when i watched the movie this past weekend i was instantly caught up and blown away (in my head) with the connection that these robes made. They took two of my favorite things growing up, tron and star wars and created the perfect combination, a digital jedi.

While the armor and costuming is awesome, i really want to create these robes as they would be more "practical" for every day wear and look simply amazing if done properly.

(= d !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm starting work on my version of the robes tomorrow. I can't seem to find any good pictures online of the robe and it saddens me. Anyone have more luck than myself?

Also any thoughts on a good robe pattern for this? I think I'll opt to have the collar instead of the hood because I feel that I'd get more functionality out of it like that. And I'd prolly get shot with that hood up.

...I'm telling you all the whole year, this Grid style will be the next fashion trend! Believe me!
If the film had been a bigger hit, probably. But considering it's lukewarm reception among the critics and fans (at least here in the U.S.), probably not.

Still, I rather liked Bridges' wardrobe in the film, particularly the black hooded robe. Clean, simple aesthetics that provided a strong visual counterpoint to the "technological" look of the other characters.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back