Tron Legacy Costume

Hey up there...with the avery tape. Here is what the blue looks like with a very nice flash.

208610_10100165883969041_5031781_50971136_4304078_n.jpg

I wore it into Best BUy today when I picked up my copy of Tron Legacy. The store manager came up and jokingly offered me a job at the store to promote the movie.

Now onto serious business. I am hard at work setting up a diffusion method Tron costume, using what I have as a base. For those of you that have done this, what is the best method to add the black "edge" along the clear plastic, el wire, and reflective tape base?

Now onto serious business. I am hard at work setting up a diffusion method Tron costume, using what I have as a base. For those of you that have done this, what is the best method to add the black "edge" along the clear plastic, el wire, and reflective tape base?

Electric tape, lots of it. Its simple, sticky, and fairly strong, and nicely flexible when it needs to be. You might have to be more creative with shapes other than straight lines (like I created circles by putting it down on shower curtain material, drawing the line, cutting the circle, then removing the tape from the shower curtain and applying the circle to my work.

Got my EL panel in from Glowhut. Looks nice. I cut it up into four circles that I was planning to mount onto my boots for the Flashback Flynn look. Cuts easily and overall nice to work with.

Inexplicably though, only 3 out of four light up. I can't figure out why as they are all identical with identical connections and amount of panel. Maybe I got it wet or damaged it somehow. The whole panel was working before I cut it, so it must be something I did.

On a side note, It lights up a bit more blue than I expected. I am verifying with Glowhut if this panel is considered Bule/white or White/white. If its technically Blue/White then it could save alot of trouble going with the same color tape since White/white is hard to come by. Though I thought I was buying White/White.

Anyone have Blue on/White of tape from Glowhut? Does it look like mine?

In any case, I don't plan to buy another panel just to make a 2" circle... so I'll just use 1 on the outside ankle of each boot and forget the inside ones, which has the added advantage of allowing me to use an even smaller inverter. I may try the single AAA.

Also finished up my final version of my holder. Just have to mount some magnets and a metal ring for the inside. I decided to take off the wider base and make it just a hub coming out of my back. Also decided to go sort of glossy. I'm much happier with this one. I'll post a mini "how to" on it a bit later since some folks were asking.

2hx2dso.jpg
azcggh.jpg
jv3mo1.jpg

Last edited:
My first progress post!

I got most of the foam/armor cut for my suit done. Pretty impressive for only 2 half days of work. I have both my EL wire and LuminousFilm split electrode tape in. I will do more work on that later in the week.... for now... pictures!

(since it is first time uploading pictures, I am not sure how this will work, but I will explain what you are seeing)

So in the mass picture, I have my body armor, arm armor, the 2 pieces that make up the shoulder armor (may remake one of the pieces), and some detail pieces for the arms. I still need to work on the leg armor, but I feel that will come later, may wait a while on that.

The arm armor is so cut up because the rectangular cuts are to hold the el wire which I hope to get time to add in tomorrow.

The metal in on the back section of the body armor is made from insulation support wire (the inner ring is almost the same diameter as the identity disc), it only took a few hours of thumb numbing work.

I still need to get my undersuit, going for a root suit style suit (Spandex Bodysuit | RootSuit | $44 Full Body Spandex Suits), hoping to order this week....

Speaking of this week, I have to get most of my suit done this week, I feel I will be able to get the majority of it done this week, but it will be a fun week!

Tell me what you think

Hi, what did you use for the foam stuff? :confused

that looks amazing reat job for using found items

Just tried my hand at making a disc holder from stuff laying around the house. I used 3 different tupperware containers cut to fit the disc's inner diameter. I made it a snug fit that requires almost a "snap on" kind of action. I'm going to mount it to my Jacket with magnets and have some in the disc as well, just in case. It still needs some clean up to get a smoother finish. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to remake the center top piece with the notch cutout from something thicker and smoother so the depression looks deeper. Over all though, I think it turned out decent.

6yieqc.jpg

6o1y6o.jpg

3039tsn.jpg

Just peeled all the plasti-dip off. I'm going to make it a flat black instead. Took off the center cutout piece too. I may use a thicker foamie piece.

i posted it in another thread but here is the start to a tron costume my room mate commisioned me to do he started the game helmet and asked me to make the hexagon spandex

the tron hexigan spandex it is fully die-sublimated printed on true 4 way stretch lycra and is designed on the same file that the spiderman movie costume was made on i did it on this file that way it can have a full face hands and feet and i cut parts away as needed

below is a close up of the hexagon paturn so you can see how it looks and the other photo is a picture of the full costume from far away the hexagons are just hard to see at that angle and it also was from my cell phone

i may not post as fast on here the progress of the costume build but you can follow it more on my company facebook at www.facebook.com/jesterfx i updat progress as i go along on their much faster

IMAG0108.jpg

IMAG0109.jpg
IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0153.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Spandex suit sewing pattern

Greetings,

I have found a lot of information on how to make the armor and the lights, but I have not found a sewing pattern for the spandex suit?

Does anyone know where to find that? Or some well lit photos of the spandex suit showing where all the seams are?

Thanks

I decided to sew my costume from scratch. I was inspired by the program sketches in the Art of Tron book. The jacket and dress are slight mods to patterns that are currently available at fabric stores.
The jacket is stretch vinyl. If you find yourself using this material, I highly suggest tear away interfacing if you need to do any top stitching.
I've taped off the sections where I will be adding my EL panels. I hope to post the finished project soon.
5593902879_0d3b0a8337.jpg

Hey up there...with the avery tape. Here is what the blue looks like with a very nice flash.

208610_10100165883969041_5031781_50971136_4304078_n.jpg

I wore it into Best BUy today when I picked up my copy of Tron Legacy. The store manager came up and jokingly offered me a job at the store to promote the movie.

Im gonna Do my orange reflective tape for my suit, but how did you apply it?: hot glue gun or what material did you use?

Thanks everyone! I finished up version 2, but somehow it isnt quite what I had wanted. I made the center piece the same height as the outer ring which looked SA, but then it made my notch look weird, so I took it off.

I think I'm going to give it one more shot with the notch at half height or the outer ring (original style but taller) with a new set of pieces so I have this one just in case.

4ufknc.jpg

so did you just spray paint your container black? cause it looks good, I want to use the same type of method but I want to know how did you make it so your disc snaps on with a tug fit.

It is unclear to me what these pieces of fabric are for. I know the cloth under the armor is a full body spandex suit.
You have to think in 3D. Those peices are from left to right, arm torso, arm. The wrap around so that there are minimal seams and so that the pattern lines up with no mismatched edges. I know it looks odd, but thats how all the Spidy guys do it.

It looks AWESOME! Wish I had access to that kind of stuff!

so did you just spray paint your container black? cause it looks good, I want to use the same type of method but I want to know how did you make it so your disc snaps on with a tug fit.

I lightly sanded it and used Krylon outdoor plastic. It keeps chipping though. Does anyone know of a good clear coat that can take the abuse of the disc on and off? If not, I may peel it off and find a way to stain the plastic black so that the color is absorbed in (pipedream?)

As for the fit, I just got really lucky with the size of the container. As time (and coats of paint) went on that fit got less and less perfect. My solution was the metal ring around the inside of the hub. I bought a $1.19 ring and turned it inside out so the screw was on the inside and e6000'd it into place. It gives the holder a nice light (but not too light) weight and give the Disc's mags something nice to hold onto.

Yes, it's the same size as the tape they sell on their eBay listings.

'Difficult to attach' is a relative term these days. :lol The hard part is getting the glue to set enough to keep the wire in direct contact with the phos material surface, once the back coating is carefully peeled back away and the wires are in place. It's a bit of an experiment with placement, pressure, stable glue addition, and waiting 3-5 mins for a base setup.

Yes, the white lines seem to be the scribes for this particular type of tape. As you see, I have the wires, one touching each area on a side of the 'middle' white line. That does make placement and size of wire used a bit of a consideration as having one of those wires touching both sides of the phos material causes a short and it starts to burn the tape with a slow arc. :unsure
207895_198810823484736_100000674587093_569627_3866072_n.jpg

They may be out of stock here, but any quality site with 8xAA Battery Packs in a 12v configuration will offer these same basic battery types. You can find them in flat 1x8, rectangular 2x4, even round layouts to fit your needs. (i.e. 12v 10xAA 2200mAh Ni-MH Battery Packs)

Thank you for all your El Tape and battery advice here. I guess I will just stick with the LuminousFilm product for now. I hate that Scribe line, but I know it is necessary. It won't even show up in photos any way so maybe I should just stop driving myself crazy here :p

I saw someone mention that the white El Panel from Glowhut has a blue hint to it. This is another reason I like the LF. Their white is true white, no hints of blue whatsoever.

I will be eager to see how you tackle the siren suit disc mounting method, or the suit in general. My approach was...painful, but it worked. Look forward to pictures of your progress!

Thanks and me too ;) I am actually going to start rubberizing my Siren suit material next week on Monday. I didn't want to officially announce it yet. But I think I finally found an air spray gun and compressor that is powerful enough to get that liquid latex rubber out of the nozzle and spray it eveninly and consistently onto my fabric. It is almost a little TOO powerful. It's a compressor that can be used to spray paint your house walls, cars, boats, etc. at least that is what i read in the reviews.

I have tested it already but will report back next week with pics how coating an entire 60 inch width yard of fabric went. I don't want to mention what product I bought for everyone to run out and buy it if coating an entire bodysuit fabric with this compressor is not going to work. It looked great on my test spray though. Wish me luck!!

So we are talking to our laser cut guy. Here are some designs for the inner ring cut out. Which one do you guys like the best?

proposals.jpg

I personally like Prop 2 myself. Just because I would need it for my Siren costume not to mention if I purchased one of these baby's for my Quorra costume. I would need the solid closed center C-ring as they have on their costume disc holders.

Just wanted to come in and say thanks for this post. I was originally planning to very haphazardly cut and segment out the EL panel for the front of my costume, but with your post and my Girlfriend's experience with Bias tape, I managed to fold it very neatly for the front of the costume.

Its not finished, and I plan on using frosted transparencies ($45 for a pack of 100 at Office depot) to cover the panel, but some in progress shots anyway:

Tron21.jpg

Sure thing and glad my post helped :) Looks great!!

It looks like cool neon has jumped on the el tape bandwagon as well. They're 1.25" wide, sold in 1 meter lengths (though it says can be cut to length), and come in 5 colors. Seems you can also cut a contour into one side of the tape. Cool Neon Electroluminescent 1 Meter Ribbon (CNR1M)

I've been using Cool Neon for years and this is a 1st. Seems they finally caught on that everyone is in demand for El Tape to make those Tron costumes and they needed to jump in the competition game and sell their own. Still, like the problem with Glowhut. CoolNeon.com does not have any variety of widths to choose from.

Got my EL panel in from Glowhut. Looks nice. I cut it up into four circles that I was planning to mount onto my boots for the Flashback Flynn look. Cuts easily and overall nice to work with.

Inexplicably though, only 3 out of four light up. I can't figure out why as they are all identical with identical connections and amount of panel. Maybe I got it wet or damaged it somehow. The whole panel was working before I cut it, so it must be something I did.

On a side note, It lights up a bit more blue than I expected. I am verifying with Glowhut if this panel is considered Bule/white or White/white. If its technically Blue/White then it could save alot of trouble going with the same color tape since White/white is hard to come by. Though I thought I was buying White/White.

Anyone have Blue on/White of tape from Glowhut? Does it look like mine?

In any case, I don't plan to buy another panel just to make a 2" circle... so I'll just use 1 on the outside ankle of each boot and forget the inside ones, which has the added advantage of allowing me to use an even smaller inverter. I may try the single AAA.

Also finished up my final version of my holder. Just have to mount some magnets and a metal ring for the inside. I decided to take off the wider base and make it just a hub coming out of my back. Also decided to go sort of glossy. I'm much happier with this one. I'll post a mini "how to" on it a bit later since some folks were asking.

2hx2dso.jpg
azcggh.jpg
jv3mo1.jpg

Your disc mount version looks fantastic. Now I think I am going to either order a new disc mount holder for my Quorra or go about making a cleaner looking one. From far away you can't see it. But my line I sculpted into the Paper Clay hub I made on mine is not that clean. I don't like that but I needed something quick to finish my costume for the movie premiere. In time things are getting better and better here with everyone working together to make the Tron costumes happen :)

and your El Panel light circles look awesome as well..... UGGHHHHHH all that wiring all over the place, the Glowhut El Tape or Luminous Film decision.... you are all making it really hard on me which route to take of which product to use when you post progress pics like this ;) I wish I had money to test them all to satisfy my perfectionist ass! :p

Greetings,

I have found a lot of information on how to make the armor and the lights, but I have not found a sewing pattern for the spandex suit?

Does anyone know where to find that? Or some well lit photos of the spandex suit showing where all the seams are?

Thanks

Not that I know of. No patterns on here. Most of the ppl in this forum have been winging it with making their suits on their own or buying one and altering it.

[Anisse] [I saw someone mention that the white El Panel from Glowhut has a blue hint to it. This is another reason I like the LF. Their white is true white, no hints of blue whatsoever.]

It's much more white than I had original thought. I think it was just the lighting where I was. For comparison, here is a pic of my GH panel next to blue LEDs on my microwave.

6jezol.jpg

[Anisse][ Your disc mount version looks fantastic...]

Thanks, Anisse. That means alot coming from you. According to GH, my panel is White/White. So does anyone know of a place I can get White/White tape? I think I'm ok with any width, even the 1/2 inch. It's more important that the colors match when off and on. I don't want to do the masking tape route.

Last edited:
MD, what are the wire connectors you are using on these fantastic circles, the two lead black box ones?

There are some delicate flat metal leads that were on the panel already. I just stuck them into the clip end of the inverter to test them. I will be attaching a thicker wire and then coating them to make it stronger... as is, they make me nervous.

I don't know if any of you have watched the special feature "Visualizing Tron" on the dvd yet, but it shows you a REALLY good look on how they wired their EL tape to the costume, and the bare bones of the costumes.

Also, about the blue tinge to the white EL tape issue...if you watch on the dvd, where they show Sam and Gem behind the scenes, in one shot their EL tape looks like it's a very pale blue. I think it has to so with the lighting.

And I know this is going to sound repetitive and generally stupid to some of you, but can someone give me a step by step process on what to do after you wire the speaker wire to the EL Tape? How do you rewire it back to the inverter? Also, where do you get the sealant tape to close up the cut end of the EL Tape? Or can you just use something basic?

Before I start cutting into my stuff, I really, REALLY want to be self-aware of what I'm doing. Kinda want it pounded into my head. I know it's simply wiring to some of you, but this is my first go at it, and I want to make sure I don't waste money by completely busting my EL Tape -_-.

I'd really appreciate it if someone can put it in simple terms for me...thanks!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back