Tritons Iron Man build

Triton

Doing an Iron Man build for this years Halloween.

Using the Sharkhead helm, and DancinFool's foam pep build.
Not sure exactly how I'm going to finish the foam...but we'll see.

Here is a couple shots of them helm as it stands now. Everything has been resin'ed, but the only thing I've gone through bondo yet is the face plate and jaw. The helm is cut into the four pieces. Will have a motorized hinge system to pop the face plate and jaw.

Without further dudes, here's the money shot.

wbsEo.jpg

jHROc.jpg

Constructive criticism always appreciated. This isn't my first pep, but it certainly is my first time using bondo.

So I've been pretty busy, realized I shouldn't have cut this apart because I want to cast it so had to epoxy it all back together. WOW. What a pita. Needless to say boys and girls, make sure you are ONE HUNDRED PERCENT certain you are not going to make a mold and cast. Putting it back together once you Dremeled it out, is awful. LOL

Here are some pics of where it is as of today. Some things don't look right so far, so I'm hoping you guys can give me some ideas as to where I need to focus my efforts in any glaring huge mistakes. This is just the first go at bondo on the helmet over all, and I have more to fill in, but just want to see if there is anything major I need to fix aside from the minor stuff.

PFIRX.jpg

VEJNF.jpg

g9LuU.jpg

DidHo.jpg

Here's some updates.

Finally got my Chavant in, and have sworn off Bondo for these builds.
This is the way to do it. The clay is amazing. Not a fan of the way the Chavant sticks to my tools, so I may try the Monster Makers.

I just melted down the Chavant NSP (Hard) in my crock pot, and painted the clay in a thin layer on the entire model. This is results of about an hours worth of smoothing afterwards. Cleaned it up even further last night, so when I get home tonight I'll post further updates. Ears were sculpted by me, molded and cast in resin.

Here we go. Comments, and constructive criticism always welcome.

Some more smoothing.

It's almost ready for the final smooth down then details.
Getting an object smooth and proportional is a lot harder than I remember from art class in high school. LOL

The proportions are just about spot on at this point. I think I need to adjust the left hemisphere of the back of the helmet a bit to get it in line with the right, but other than that, it's coming along great. Hoping to get to the molding stage by the end of the weekend.

Without further dudes, the pics.

That's looking real good. Chavant is great stuff, but the hard version can be a bit difficult to work with. What are you using for refference on the helmet? If you can get a clean side shot of the movie helmet, I'd enlarge it to 1/1 or as close to the size your working with as you can get. Then I'd mount it to foam core and trim it out and use it as a template for roughing out the shape accurately. Same for an accurate front shot. I've done this type of thing for modeling a head in 3D software programs. No reason it shouldn't work for this too.

That's looking real good. Chavant is great stuff, but the hard version can be a bit difficult to work with. What are you using for refference on the helmet? If you can get a clean side shot of the movie helmet, I'd enlarge it to 1/1 or as close to the size your working with as you can get. Then I'd mount it to foam core and trim it out and use it as a template for roughing out the shape accurately. Same for an accurate front shot. I've done this type of thing for modeling a head in 3D software programs. No reason it shouldn't work for this too.

That's actually not a bad idea Ruprekt. Thanks for the idea!

Wait. Your telling me that thing started its life as a FOAM helmet???
*throws my own foam helmet in the trash*

Hey Helagak, this was NOT a foam helmet. =)

It started as a 110lb cardstock pepakura helmet. Sharkman's VI to be exact, scaled to my size. I'm 6'2, 185lbs.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back