Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    Melbourne, FL
    Sep 16, 2012, 7:39 PM - TMNT Krang + Android Body *Final Pics pg. 9" #1

Hey all,

It's been a while since my last build, my Budget Ghostbuster suits and gear from 2009 (Budget Proton Packs).

I'm 6'2, wear glasses, and always near 300 pounds, and I know my limits for costuming. Last year I made a budget Darth Vader hoping to conceal my weight within the robes, and I was happy with the results but I looked like a fat guy dressed as Vader. Being my size, I don't have many options for actual characters - only really Doctor Octopus or Krang.

Krang and his Android Body has always been sort of a dream costume for me, and I've always tossed the idea around as a joke costume. The design is absolutely embarassing - a near nude fat, bald man with red underwear and booties and brain in his belly. I've tossed around the gamut of ideas over the years, but never committed - first it was sweats and a bald cap, and various canvas straps. Then the idea of a morphsuit with Krang's chamber made out of foam.

This year, I finally committed. Two years ago I half finished a Dive Suit reminiscent of a Bioshock Big Daddy. I was unable to finish due to a surprise work trip to Sweden, but my friend wore the suit to a bar last year and took home first place. The costume gave me some good experience using EVA foam, and that's what I've decided to use for Krang. Here's a pic of that suit:

I plan to make full body armor out of EVA foam - both smooth floormats and the textured blue mats from Walmart. For the head, I'll sculpt a buck out of insulation foam, split in to front and back, and vacuuform EVA foam to create a lightweight helmet consistent with the rest of the body. Krang himself will be made out of the insulation foam for his main body, and flexible foam with a metal core to make his tentacles bendable. I'll finish off Krang with a paintjob and a thin finishing coat of latex, resulting in a fleshy, rubberized feel for the alien.

I started with a few sketches. I wanted to make something that brought together some of the cartoon design, the bizarre toy design, and my own additions of making the suit resemble a robotic suit of armor.

This is my first sketch and still the one that I'm using for main reference. I was to add flexible foam on the inside of the elbows and make the elbows and knees in to working joints. The shoulders will also be more like shoulder pads (like Dr. Doom) than just regular shoulders. I wanted his mouth to resemble those of the Sentinels from Marvel comics.

I started out taking measurements and drawing up rough plans to translate in to templates. Here is the one I made for Krang's chamber:

I wanted Krang's chamber to have some depth and since I'm not thin, I needed make the upper torso oversized with a false belly.

After the first night, I had the base shape of Krang's chamber complete (forgive my iPhone pics and the dirty bathroom mirror, thanks):

I was really happy with the results. The next day, I started working on templates for rest of the torso. After modifying my cuts significantly from the template, I had a false stomach that I was happy with:

Tonight I found some time to add on the shoulder pads, essentially finishing the upper torso and chamber. I plan to add velcro in the back, leaving a seam down the middle, to get the torso on and off without a struggle.

Thanks for looking! I'll add updates to the thread as I go along. I'm not sure what I want to do next - I'm itching to get to the helmet because it requires something that I've never done before (vacuuforming foam). I can always use a nude zentai suit as failsafe for the arms and legs, but I'll always need to make a head for either type of costume.

- Rob
    Last edited by TVsRobLowe; Oct 26, 2012 at 8:28 PM.
    From
    Sydney, australia
    Sep 16, 2012, 7:46 PM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #2

Wow!! This is gonna be so cool when it's done

Can not wait to see progress on this build
  3. Formerly cobalt crimson Wes R's Avatar
    From
    Western PA
    Sep 16, 2012, 7:46 PM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #3

Looks really good so far. I don't think I've seen any costumes of this character. I know what you mean about weight limiting costumes, i get any fatter I'll be able to go as Orsen Welles lol.
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    Melbourne, FL
    Sep 16, 2012, 8:02 PM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #4

The only other costume I've seen that wasn't put together in a day was this one:
    Krang is the best Halloween Costume of 2010

While it is well done and cool to see, it's a bit too Rubies for me.
    Sep 16, 2012, 8:56 PM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #5

Awesome work so far, I'll be watching this with great interest!
  6. Formerly cobalt crimson Wes R's Avatar
    From
    Western PA
    Sep 16, 2012, 9:01 PM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #6

TVsRobLowe said: View Post
    The only other costume I've seen that wasn't put together in a day was this one:
    Krang is the best Halloween Costume of 2010

While it is well done and cool to see, it's a bit too Rubies for me.
    My problem with that one was also he didn't seem to be a big guy so he had to go with the muscle suit and everything is like a giant stuffed animal.
    Sep 16, 2012, 9:15 PM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #7

This is really awesome! I am looking forward to seeing more!!
    From
    Wiesbaden, Germany
    Sep 16, 2012, 9:16 PM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #8

This is gonna rock! I loved TMNT as a kid. M

Are you using exercise mats for the foam?
  9. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    Melbourne, FL
    Sep 16, 2012, 9:27 PM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #9

The blue mats are the camping mats from Walmart, the gray foam is anti-fatigue flooring (in rolls) from Big Lots. Neither one is exactly an 'exercise mat', but it's all the same stuff.
    From
    Summerville SC USA
    Sep 16, 2012, 9:31 PM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #10

Great Idea ! It's coming along really nice so far, Good luck with the rest and I look forward to seeing the progress !
    From
    Joplin, Missouri, United States
    Sep 16, 2012, 9:32 PM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #11

That is awesome...
    Sep 16, 2012, 10:51 PM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #12

That's a pretty "off-the-beaten-path" costume!
    Loved TMNT as a kid, cannot wait to see more of this.
    From
    Canada
    Sep 17, 2012, 12:00 AM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #13

I'm totally following this.

so cool!
  14. docholiday78 is offline docholiday78
    Sep 17, 2012, 12:22 AM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #14

awesome man! ya should make like a fake arm so ya can control krang like a puppet with hidden arm just an idea
    From
    Canada
    Sep 17, 2012, 12:28 AM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #15

docholiday78 said: View Post
    awesome man! ya should make like a fake arm so ya can control krang like a puppet with hidden arm just an idea
    That's such a smart idea
  16. docholiday78 is offline docholiday78
    Sep 17, 2012, 1:21 AM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #16

STEALTH said: View Post
    That's such a smart idea
    thanks man, I just picture Tv wearing it and then they see krang movin and everyone will go nuts
    Sep 17, 2012, 1:25 AM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #17

subscribing to this.. cant wait to see it progress further!
    Sep 17, 2012, 1:27 AM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #18

Amazing so far! I will be watching this topic!
    From
    UK
    Sep 17, 2012, 4:47 AM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #19

Brilliant!

You've made a great start. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
    From
    Mira Loma, CA
    Sep 17, 2012, 4:48 AM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #20

Oh my GOD. This is gonna effin' RULE when it's done. Great work so far, and I can't wait to see the finished results!
    From
    Bel Air, MD
    Sep 17, 2012, 5:02 AM - #21

Wow, this is great! Really coming together.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
    From
    Hull - UK
    Sep 17, 2012, 5:47 AM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #22

I love it when peeps go off the wall with their choice of costume
  23. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    Melbourne, FL
    Sep 17, 2012, 6:09 AM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #23

docholiday78 said: View Post
    thanks man, I just picture Tv wearing it and then they see krang movin and everyone will go nuts
    ...Damn that is a good idea. The way I'm building the arms, it will be somewhat stable even without my arm in it. Attach a fake hand at the end and make it look like it's resting on my waist and no one would know it was fake. I would be tight for my other arm to be in the belly cavity, but I think I do have the room.

I'd have to build Krang like a Boglin, if anyone remembers those.

...or this just popped in to my head - what about using a Halloween decoration with automatic moving parts (eyes, mouth at minimum), and modify it to become a frame for the Krang overlay to go on. That might be my best bet. He's have movement and I'd have both hands.
    Sep 17, 2012, 6:20 AM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #24

This is gonna look great!
    Sep 17, 2012, 7:34 AM - Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build #25

TVsRobLowe said: View Post
    ...Damn that is a good idea. The way I'm building the arms, it will be somewhat stable even without my arm in it. Attach a fake hand at the end and make it look like it's resting on my waist and no one would know it was fake. I would be tight for my other arm to be in the belly cavity, but I think I do have the room.

I'd have to build Krang like a Boglin, if anyone remembers those.

...or this just popped in to my head - what about using a Halloween decoration with automatic moving parts (eyes, mouth at minimum), and modify it to become a frame for the Krang overlay to go on. That might be my best bet. He's have movement and I'd have both hands.
    The halloween decoration moving part idea is probably the most practical.. Great idea! Dont forget to get a little recorder and speaker for krangs voice saying something like "get those turtles!!!". His voice was so memorable in the show!!