Tmnt costume for Halloween

wadlo521

This year I decided I'm gonna do a movie style ninja turtle for Halloween. I'm building the muscle structure from foam and I'm building a deckstar inspired articulated head. Last year I built a Kia and it taught me to sew. Now I guess I'm learning foam sculpting and air brushing on this project. I hope it turns out good. On to the pics

IMAG0216.jpg

Very flattering base of my duct tape dummy
IMAG0214.jpg

Base of the head mechanics
IMAG0243.jpg

Start of the front shell thing
IMAG0245.jpg

Progress on the upper arm
IMAG0248.jpg

Start of the foot
I'm trying to mess with it a little each night. Still tons of work to do but it's starting to look like something

I just used spray adhesive, let it tack up and started to work it on. That was just a small test piece of fabric to see if it worked. I'm gonna do the whole "skin" with that then cover it with latex and paint it. It smooths out the foam a bunch and doesn't hide and detail.

Your doing a great job! I briefly tried your route but had too much trouble getting the foam smoothed out. But your spandex idea did a great job of smoothing things out. I also love the color. I think the original turtle were more of an olive green like that. I'm really excited to see more pictures, keep up the good work!

Thank you for the compliments. I'm happy with the direction its going. I've been using a combo of carving knife, scissors and razor to shape it up. The spandex really smoothes the foam out. Even with a little roughness it hides a lot. And I think using this color will help when I go to do latex and paint.

Small update.
Haven't had too much time to work on it. Played with the forearm and thigh muscles tonight. Not sure what I think of the thigh yet but it's also not finished yet. I hope to work on it some more Sunday. Here are some pics...
IMAG0256.jpg

The thigh, I just threw some spandex on it to get a feel of if I like it. It's not even glued to the suit yet so I needed some pins to hold it.
IMAG0251.jpg

The top of the forearm. There is a little definition cut into it. The underside has more detail but I need to get a better picture of it. I've never sculpted or shaped anything like muscle before so I have a bit of a learning curve to overcome but it's nothing a little trial and error can't fix

Didn't really care for the thigh muscles so I re did them. That's about as far as I got tonight. I need to kick it into high gear. I still have tons to do. I want to have most of the body done by the end of the weekend. If I had everything covered in spandex and the shell started by Sunday I'd be a happy camper. PICS!!!!!
IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

Your progress so far is great. I really like your approach to this build, and will be watching it carefully.

I have been thinking about making a turtle costume for a while now, but decided that I would not do it unless I could figure out how to articulate the jaw.

Can you give us a run through on how you made the jaw mechanics?

Haven't updated in a little bit. Well I got my latex in today and started skinning in spandex till I ran out of glue. I still have a lot to do but seeing a good portion of it in spandex was a good feeling. Hopefully the body is ready for paint by Friday.
IMAG0276-1-1.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0278.jpg

I am loving the progress so far.:thumbsup
I am really considering the fabric over the muscles route for my next creature build. It would fill in all the gaps ahead of latexing.

Are you going to add a color to the latex before applying it? :confused
Having the latex as your base color would make shading and detailing easier.

Are you going to make the head with this same tech or are you going to sculpt and cast it?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back