Tevina's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

Tevina

Hello! I’m new to the board and haven’t posted before but I have checked out some of the threads and I've been very impressed with all of the costumes! This is my first time entering a contest on RPF so I hope I am following all the rules correctly.

I began cosplaying in 2004 and attended cons and cosplayed at conventions until a couple years ago. I had to withdraw a bit from the hobby because school and work. The costume that I am entering for the RPF 2013 Halloween contest is my Blood Elf Hunter from World of Warcraft. I make all of my costumes and props myself and intend to keep it that way. Unfortunately, I did not take any in progress/build pics (I had to rush to finish this costume) but I will post some close-up shots and explain how I made everything

To start things off, here are the main shots of my costume and the following posts will have the 'how-to' and proof pic! Enjoy!! :)

costume-professional41-large.jpgl_00adc1832e564927a16d070941fd3c91.gifl_74b7c6faef10b58bdc2769091769c5f2.jpg

Here is a summary break down of how I made my costume:

Ears
I started out with a wire base and cut the shape of the ear into the wire and then coated it with paper mache material and paper clay. After smoothing out the base of the ear, I used more paper clay to mold the designs on the ear and painted with regular acrylic paint (hand painted). I added a few rhinestones for a feminine touch. I attached the ears together with a thin wire that rests on top of the head and a small elastic band in the back to keep it upright.

0811a.jpgw.jpg

Armor (shoulder,gauntlets, belt, etc)
Model magic! Believe it or not, most of the armor is made out of model magic. It is a malleable, rubbery type clay that can be molded easily to any shape you want when you add water. The shoulder armor has pads underneath with more paper clay and model magic built on top. I cut each little shape out from the model magic with water and an exacto knife and hand painted each piece. Some of the designs were simply drawn on with a sharpie. The shoulders have elastic bands on the bottom and one in the back to hold them together. The band in the back was covered by the cape.

574401.jpg20131103_192119.jpgblue and white.jpg

Weapon (sonic spear)
This weapon was crazy to make. I started out with an insulating craft foam board (pink one) and used a wire cutter to cut the shapes out. I hand traced the design onto the foam before cutting it, however, the downside to using a wire cutter is that it melts the foam VERY fast and you will accidentally take off too much if you go too slow. After cutting out all the shapes, I hot glued the pieces together and hand painted 4 layers of paint and 4 layers of paint from a spray machine. Then, I went back and hand painted each of the designs onto the spear. The end of the spear and middle is more, you guessed it, model magic with paint and jewels. I just got the jewels from a craft store and glued them on (same with the feathers and beads).

181-rigid-insulation-01.jpg 20131103_202843.jpg20131103_202850.jpg

I apologize for the pics of the spear. As you can see, it is in a few pieces now. The spear head did not hold well being passed around so even though it was reinforced with glue and rope, it still broke off. And also, you can see that my brother's jerk of a dog decided that a spear would be a fun chew toy. But the plus side is that you can now see the pink foam underneath all of the paint.

20131103_192155.jpg

The rest of the costume was basically just cutting out/sewing/gluing the correct pieces onto a black shirt and pants I already had. Not too much work there! And last but not lease, my proof pic. It's a bit of a pain to put everything on (usually takes about an hour or two) but I decided to slip on the ears and shoulder armor so I hope that counts. Please let me know if I missed anything, thanks so much for looking at my thread! :)

20131103_193123.jpg

Oh, and I almost forgot! The elf eyebrows were actually feathers. Well, one feather. I split the feather in half, length wise and colored it with a brown sharpie and then used spirit gum to glue them on. My real eyebrows were not happy about that.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back