Teh STORMTROOPER strikes back

archytekt

My 1st post here.
I was reluctant in starting this (thread, not the project...) all I see is IronMan so, I'm not sure if this is popular, but here it is.

So months ago I started a long time dream of mine, that is to have a STAR WARS replica. I'm a huge fan! It could be a light saber, a mask like the iconic Darth Vader or the Stormtrooper. For some reason I chose the trooper.

It's not done yet, and I'm quite a perfectionist so I'm afraid it might take some time to get it like I want. It's not screen accurate, that's quite impossible to do unless you mold from a original. Still I do want a good looking helmet, and have fun in the making.

THE START (research):

I found this on the web and began from studying the 3D's from Spacecowboy and Fierfek and various photos of both screen used and other made by a MasterReplicas, BTW thank you Spacecowboy for this work, I read somewhere you made the design but never built it! Rest assured many have done it for and because of you!

*there is a version 11 somewhere that I found later on. Unfortunately I used an outdated one.

This was what I got at phase 1 (nip tuck):

I used cardboard from cereal boxes, a big no no in my opinion, because its too thick and later on I had many spots where the resin didn't "soak" the cardboard and was close to dry. That created some problems in the Bondo/sanding process. But it was VERY resistant non the less.
After the cutting, gluing and resining came the fiberglassing. Yet another newb mistake: I used mat fiber instead of cloth, yeah you get air bubbles.

Phase 2 (the bondo):

Not much to say here. Just slap it on!
Quick tip #3: "slap it on" thin. That way you keep some detail you want and need and you waste less material. Saving you the monies.

Phase 3 (sanding):

Now, this was just after the 1st layer of bondo and sanding. Honestly I lost count of how many layers I put on. But I used around +1,5 Kg or 3,5 pounds of putty. This part... never ending sanding.

Phase 4 (moar you say? Again?):

Bondo, sanding, bondo, sanding... Rinse and repeat...
No photos of that.

Phase 5 (consolidation):

After countless hours, no months, of sculpting I got to a point to where I think the basic structure of the helmet is satisfactory.

Don't know if this is his best side... always looks kind of weird in frontal view.

Lower part, the "tube" is way off. Don't know if it's going to stay like this.

Back

Some pics with more detail:

I made the ear piece different, more rounded and slightly raised. I felt like the original doesn't fit with the roundness of the helmet. Comments?

The vocoder and teeth where made with bondo. I find it hard to work with epoxy, so I cut the pieces filled them with bondo washed out the paper and sanded.
Although I did use epoxy (the grey stuff) or milliput as it's called, to glue them on and also on other areas I saw it was best to mold with epoxy instead of bondo.
Epoxy is expensive, hard to sand, sometimes it sticks when you don't want it to, sometimes it doesn't stick when you want it to.

The eyes where a pain in the *#$%! Made it, one was kind of droopey, so I cut the right side out. Did it again. Still didn't match the other side. So cut out the left eye. No, still not good. Right side again... out.
After that, the cheekbones where a little to boney. Too wide, so, cut them out too.
To remake the eyes for example, I printed them again, filled with bondo and glued them on with epoxy. Much more easier than modeling them with epoxy.

Phase 6 (1st coat of primer):

I'm not a fan of wasting money. So I only gave it a paint job when I thought that the basic was done. Of course I could have done it sooner and even 2 or 3 times. But I saw no use in that.
At this point, before spraying the paint on, I sanded the helm with a very fine grit sandpaper, smooth as a baby's behind (lol like my mom says).

Does the vocoder look right? The mouth and teeth?

And that's how it is today.
Feel free to comment and criticize. So I can have some fresh eyes look at it and help me improve anything that may be wrong or could be better. It will be much appreciated!

Last edited:
I remember seeing yours Toxx.
I had to read a lot of tuts and threads about it. I never made anything like this. Only architecture models both real and 3D. So it probably fair to say I got hands for it.

Gonna post some more stuff on it. I hope to read your critic since you have made one yourself.

Yes I've noticed alot of ironman. It's cool but cmon... he aint BATMAN!!! Hell in coolness even spiderman is a better super hero.

Well just posted the rest that I didn't have time yesterday.

Yoda says for you guys that feedback give me you must. hahahaha

Looks great an smooth dude!!!! :thumbsup

But i think the nose looks some wide to my taste. Is time to "nip tuck" again :behave.

Subscribed.

Cheers.

I saw Star Wars when it first came out in 1977. All these years later, I still think the Stromtrooper is one of the best costumes ever designed for a film. I never grow tired of looking at it.

Great job on this. Look forward to seeing it completed.

I saw Star Wars when it first came out in 1977. All these years later, I still think the Stromtrooper is one of the best costumes ever designed for a film. I never grow tired of looking at it.

100% agree!

This one turns out really nicely, maybe the vocoder looks a littler to tiny/small to me?!

Great Job with artfull wip-pictures (you can't deny the architect).

Great job on this. Look forward to seeing it completed.

I just saw all 6 episodes of SW last week.
It is indeed one of the best costumes ever. Both Vader and the stormtrooper represent pretty much the whole world of Star Wars.
Thank you!

This one turns out really nicely, maybe the vocoder looks a littler to tiny/small to me?!

Your eyes don't deceive you. Thanks for noticing that.
+2 on the "to do list" :thumbsup

Looks fantastic so far, nice to see a new build with actual progress!

Thanks!
The progress for the time being will be only digital. Photoshop, CAD... So I can better understand some features and incorrections.
More on that later.

Off to a great start and doing an 'idealized' helmet is a nice option. Gonna share this thread on the RPF Facebook page! :)

TY for that tuskentrooper. It pleased me to see the 501st say something good about a pep+trooper helm. I know they only use ABS vacuum form.

This is very cool! I love seeing stormtrooper builds.

And I like to build it!! (y)thumbsup

Rewarding work - really cool!

It does make me proud to look at it even unfinished. :thumbsup

Got to love pepakura! Have you seen Julius' build (from paper-replika.com) of his Biker Trooper based off of his templates?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back