TDK/R Build log

Darranged

So, after a year of gathering parts from all four corners of the planet, I'm finally getting stuck into making my favourite batsuit, the TDK version.

It's not my second attempt at a suit, and so far, it's been pretty damn challenging.

Here's how it went down so far:

The box arrived with all the latest goodies, mostly leg pieces, that were in need of some trimming.

JXUXl.jpg

So the rough trimming is done, as you can see below, but now the time-consuming work arrives, to get those angles and odd bits cut just right, and smooth.

hMAMv.jpg

1S68D.jpg

Even though they probably won't be noticeable at all when they're applied to the mesh material, it bugs me, and I just can't have that.

Right now, I'm also beefing them up, to give them a more solid plate look, so that I can avoid them sagging in the middle.

Bloody liquid rubber, one of the worst smelling substances ever created, in it's raw, liquid form. I could hurl every time I open that jar. Right now, I'm taking my time, doing 2-3 segments a day.

vObJN.jpg

Still quite a bit of work to do though. Can't find a tailor or dressmaker to help me out, so I'm teaching myself to sew, so that I can get the undersuit done. Chest needs the pecs carbon fibred and glued down, and the arm and shoulder pieces need to be attached as well.

HeWQu.jpg

But so far, the progress is going nicely. Big thanks to DI Studios, Inkmonkey and Kris from Hells Kitchen for sorting me out and offering some great advice along my costuming quest.

freaking awesome! Great job so far. I have the UD Replica leather Dark knight suit but I really want a Movie Replica now...Thinking of going this. Hey is Kris from Hells KitchenCC in this forum? I got my cowl from him a few years back, he did amazing work.

freaking awesome! Great job so far. I have the UD Replica leather Dark knight suit but I really want a Movie Replica now...Thinking of going this. Hey is Kris from Hells KitchenCC in this forum? I got my cowl from him a few years back, he did amazing work.

Thanks guys!

I'm not certain about Kris being here actually as I'm still new around here, but he has been awesome to deal with so far.

The cowl I'm using right now, is an Inkmonkey one, which I absolutely love, for being solid, yet light.

Oh ok, yeah, Im very New here too. LOL Im going to look into getting a second cowl, so you said Ironmonkey? Once I find out how to search right, Im going to try to reach him.

Oh! I know him!!! he's the guy thats working on the utility belt right now. Oh and his awesome replica capes. thanks for the info.

Looks like a nice start Darryn. :thumbsup

And guys not to get too far off topic but we will be doing the full suit in the near future. ;)

hi sir. Looking great so far. I was wondering if it's not too much trouble, can you post a pic of the underside of the chest piece. I would like to see how it connects to the back piece. Thanks!

hi sir. Looking great so far. I was wondering if it's not too much trouble, can you post a pic of the underside of the chest piece. I would like to see how it connects to the back piece. Thanks!

I don't have the spinal column, yet, but hopefully these pics can help. The top chest and back/shoulder plates, are pretty much just one solid piece.

UleG4.jpg

sZTm0.jpg

And some more work done today, wherein I shat myself with worry. Carbon pieces needed to be attached to the arms, which meant cutting out the arms.

AeIbu.jpg

kqqUU.jpg

I've separated that section of arm from the upper bell, and will reattach once plasti-dipping is done.

So, CF pieces here superglued in, and right now, I've got some more liquid rubber drying on the underside, to give it some added stability, as well some more fluid drying on those ugly gaps that appeared.

hZCjO.jpg

WbDIV.jpg

And those cape-wing thingies are also locked in, on the chest piece. A productive day, overall.

Loabt.jpg

NygDw.jpg

Now to go hit the ER, so that I can get my fingers separated from their current Penguin appearance, after I spilled some Loctite on them.

Nice build. Could you provide some info on how are you beefing up the carbon inserts? I'm assuming the base for that section is just foam mats? Are you coating them with a gel?

hey,

thanks for taking all these pics. I'm trying to build this whole thing out of foam and your detail pics are really helping me out. Quick question.

Can you tell me the approximately thickness of the various pieces. From the pics, I am thinking that the collar/shoulder is around 3mm. The chest is around 6mm and each of the leg and armor pieces are around 2mm.

Let me know if that's remotely close to true. Your help is much appreciated.

Nice build. Could you provide some info on how are you beefing up the carbon inserts? I'm assuming the base for that section is just foam mats? Are you coating them with a gel?

Nope proper CF parts, made flexible with a top layer of clear polyurethane rubber I believe .

I've poured a thin layer of liquid rubber around the perimeter, to help even out the edges that are sticking out, and I've glued in some material behind them as an added precaution and to keep them stable as well.

Can you tell me the approximately thickness of the various pieces. From the pics, I am thinking that the collar/shoulder is around 3mm. The chest is around 6mm and each of the leg and armor pieces are around 2mm.

Let me know if that's remotely close to true. Your help is much appreciated.

Thicker actually. The chest piece varies from around 7-9mm, and is thickest around the collar, while the leg segments are now an average of around 5mm thickness, after I poured in some more liquid rubber, to give them some extra strength.

The shoulder pieces as well, are around 6mm at the thickest, 4 at the thinnest.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back