Symmetrical ANH Stormtrooper Helmet for Pepakura

SpaceCowboy

Hi all,

I've received many requests in the last year for a PDO version of the ANH Symmetrical Stormtrooper helmet, and I've finally gotten around to it. I previously only posted a PDF file generated from Pepakura, along with my MQO files, but not the actual Pepakura file. Everyone hated the fact that I deleted all the edge tabs. With the PDO, that is no longer a problem.

I've also revised quite a few features on the model in Metasequoia. Here's what it looks like:
Link removed as it now goes to a spam site.

The eyes have been cleaned up and simplified considerably.

I revised the ears, and also tilted the ear boxes. I had the ear boxes level previously, because it fit in with the whole symmetrical idea, but it just looks more natural tilted.

I've also revised the model so that the back plate and the faceplate do not align under the ears - you'll notice a gap between them. This is consistent with the film used ANH helmet. In my older model I aligned the front and back plates and the result was the ears looked wrong from the rear.
Here's what it looks like under the ears:

In addition, the PDO includes all the details on the helmet that I left off the Pepakura print-out previously, such as aerators, brow band, vocoder, etc.

Just download it and open the file in Pepakura Viewer.

Click here for references and measurements to aid in construction.

Enjoy!

UPDATE: the PDO file is now available at http://www.bubtown.com/spacecowboy/

Last edited:
The tabs weren't made by Pepakura when it generated the unfolded model. You can just make your own tabs to fix the dome to the front and back of the helmet.

There are some more tabs missing to put parts together, but you don't know at which edge you need some.... :confused

Got tesa-film, but this work not realy because it's too flexible.... :confused

must try some paperstrips tomorrow...

There are some more tabs missing to put parts together, but you don't know at which edge you need some.... :confused
Got tesa-film, but this work not realy because it's too flexible.... :confused
must try some paperstrips tomorrow...

Yes, not everything has tabs because it is built in separate parts: dome, faceplate, backplate, ears, etc. But if you need to know how certain parts go together there is a simple way to do that.
Open up the PDO model in in Pepakura Designer and select the "Check corresponding face" button (Ctrl + K) then you can click on any part in the print-outs and it shows you where it goes on the 3D model, or click on the model and it shows you the part in the print-outs.

Good luck!

Yes, not everything has tabs because it is built in separate parts: dome, faceplate, backplate, ears, etc. But if you need to know how certain parts go together there is a simple way to do that.
Open up the PDO model in in Pepakura Designer and select the "Check corresponding face" button (Ctrl + K) then you can click on any part in the print-outs and it shows you where it goes on the 3D model, or click on the model and it shows you the part in the print-outs.

Good luck!

been there done that ... :love

pepakura-anh-stormtrooper-helmet-wip-img_2748.jpg-110451d1346242949

Have to refix the dome and lose the small step at the back.

More pictures can be found here:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/pepakura-anh-stormtrooper-helmet-wip-153098/index2.html#post2443607

Here's an updated PDO file that includes a RULER so you can print the first page and check your scale:

You can adjust the scale by opening the file in Pepakura Designer, go to:
2D Menu > Change Scale > Scale Factor

The PDO file is set in the scale that prints correctly for me, which is:
H 30.8cm x W 29.9cm x D 29.7cm at Scale 0.717551

You can also change the paper size (example, print in A4 instead of letter)
Go to:
Settings > Print and Paper Settings > Paper Size

But remember, if you change the scale or paper size, you'll have to move the items around in the Design Window on the so that they fit correctly on the individual pages.

Also, here is the template scaled the same size:
cheers

UPDATE: the PDO file is now available at: http://www.bubtown.com/spacecowboy/

Last edited:
Based on feedback I've altered the jaw on the model.

It can be downloaded here:

I haven't had time to arrange the parts on the unfolded model, so you'll have to rearrange the pieces in Pepakura Designer before printing to make sure they fit right on the pages. Recommended scale is:

height 309 mm
width 299 mm
depth 297 mm
scale: 0.717551
anh-stormtrooper-helmet-pepakura-wip-update-trooper11-jaw.jpg-119354d1350399715

Comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Thank you for your work and the living process of altering your model to improve it.

i think the bottom jaw line matches now the w-style-line of the helmet more accurate!

It become obvious in the shoot from below of the original helmet

anh-stormtrooper-helmet-pepakura-wip-update-anh-vergleich-original-spacecowboy-kopie.jpg-119367d1350404548

I know I don't know much about this awesome project, just what I've read, but in the 11a, a lot of it overlaps a couple of pages. Is this correct or am I supposed to be able to cut up the big pieces, like the dome, somehow inside the viewer/designer?

Thanks for any help getting this printed out. It looks awesome and thanks for your hard work!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back