Sucker Punch costume thread

Hey so I found this image its slightly hard to see but its the best that I can find of the back of Blondie and Rocket. Hope it helps :)

tumblr_lh1z78DOs21qgcmbyo1_1280.jpg

So I got the Art book in the mail yesterday.

Not as many detail shots as I'd hoped, but its a really cool book!
It also shows off the other costumes for the characters (the dance costumes, mostly), and a bunch of concept art.

I have a pretty good line on what I need for Sweet Pea... I can see that the big hurdle is going to be boots. Finding (women's) shoes my size are hard enough anyway (I wear a men's 10-11), never the less thigh-highs that will fit (I have big those too), and thigh-highs with no heels (which is nice for walking, but hard to find).

I'm almost thinking I might want to buy shorter boots that are right and make the tall parts myself... ugh...

Hey guys! I found this forum the same way a lot of other people are finding it and It's been really helpful so far in the planning stages of my own cosplay. I'd love to be Blondie or Sweetpea, but my limited skills really only allow me to attempt Babydoll. Not that I'm upset or anything, I love all the outfits. I just love the complexity of the others, and I just KNOW there's gonna be a slew of Babydolls at my particular convention (ugh) so alls I can say is I hope to do it better than most of them.

I just wanted to make an observation about Babydolls gun charms. One is clearly a bear, another is a skull thingie, then the hourglass and I believe another one is a baby's bottle. Sorry if someone's said that before but after some long hard, squinting, thats what i got, lol.

I plan to do my outfit in denim, or denim-like fabric, since I've never worked with it before and I know its wear-down-able in a sense, so I can go back in with sandpaper and kind of distress the edges, like babydoll's is. I'm also planning on acrylic-paint dying the apron-thingie she has on her back, since it's a very odd color, and hard to get spot on without custom-dyeing. If anyone's wondering, acrylic paint dying is an alternative to RIT dye using what else? acrylic paints! I'm an art student so I have frequent access to it, and it's the cheapest way for me.

Now, questions. i was just wondering, the buttons on the front of Babydoll's skirt, are those large buttons or industrial type fasteners? I'm not really sure, and I haven't found any fasteners that large or with that particular look. any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to keeping track of this thread and everyone's progress. happy costuming guys!

I can see that the big hurdle is going to be boots. Finding (women's) shoes my size are hard enough anyway (I wear a men's 10-11), never the less thigh-highs that will fit (I have big those too), and thigh-highs with no heels (which is nice for walking, but hard to find).

I'm almost thinking I might want to buy shorter boots that are right and make the tall parts myself... ugh...

Yeah, honestly, I'm planning on making mine from scratch, using a pair of black ballet flats for the foundation and doing the rest out of fabric. I made a pair of thigh-high spandex leggings for Dragon*Con last year, with zippers up the back no less, and they weren't too difficult. The turn for the ankle is the part I'll have to work on the most. There's no part of the Sweet Pea costume that won't be complicated, and I'd rather that the boots/leggings fit me really well and look right than try to find a pre-made boot that resembles what was almost certainly custom-made for the movie.

Wow, nice to see this thread attracting more costumers! Welcome aboard. :)

Glasscannon, I wonder if you could elaborate, post a tutorial or something for making those boots in a separate thread? I'd love to try my own hand at 'em.

Yeah, honestly, I'm planning on making mine from scratch, using a pair of black ballet flats for the foundation and doing the rest out of fabric. I made a pair of thigh-high spandex leggings for Dragon*Con last year, with zippers up the back no less, and they weren't too difficult. The turn for the ankle is the part I'll have to work on the most. There's no part of the Sweet Pea costume that won't be complicated, and I'd rather that the boots/leggings fit me really well and look right than try to find a pre-made boot that resembles what was almost certainly custom-made for the movie.

Yeah, I'm thinking I can find a pair of boots with that same shape (hopefully cheap vinyl ones), then just build around them. If the boots I get don't have one, I can add a zipper that can be hidden by the covering.

The still shots I've seen are too dark to show the details on the boots, which means I'll probably have to go off the Gentle Giant statue (which aren't always accurate).

I did manage to find one pair of flat over-knee boots in my size, but they were $120. Not the most I've spent on costume boots, but I'd rather not... (Plus I don't think they went high enough)

Hey I'm new to the topic and I was curious if any one was working on a wise man costume because I need some really good suggestions, I have a friend who has a WWII museum in his basement so I have access to uniforms but I don't know what Uniform he wears, and is his name wiseman? Seems a lil weird that he doesn't have a badass name lol

Eh. I wouldn't let a little thing like someone thinking I wasn't hot enough to pull it off suck the fun out of making and/or wearing the costume. The point of costuming is fun, isn't it?

Anyone here know of (or is) a dealer in replica leather holsters?

sucker-punch-babydoll.jpg

Lol 1 you are perfect for the costume you look alot like her actually

2 my friend has some WWII era leather holsters if you still need them I can ask if he wants to sell you them, and you should go to NYC for the 12 o clock showing so I don't have to find someone to be babydoll lol

Glasscannon, I wonder if you could elaborate, post a tutorial or something for making those boots in a separate thread? I'd love to try my own hand at 'em.

I'm not sure I could really put together a tutorial for it. I mostly follow other tutorials and make it up as I go along, heh. For my costume last year, I was working with the look of a full spandex body suit, but didn't want it to be one piece for various reasons. So I ended up using a lot of the tutorials at Stretchy.org about patterning for full spandex body suits and working with spandex in general, but made the pieces separately, just the shirt, or just the leggings, etc. That also let me move the seams around and put zippers in, things you can't easily do with a full neck to fingertips to toes suit.

For the thigh-highs/leggings specifically, I knew I wanted zippers up the back, sort of like seamed stockings, so I ended up working with this tutorial on making seamed 18th century stockings and adapted it for spandex (ie, 80% measurements to account for stretch), and put a zipper on the seam. But I wore them under knee-high boots, so I didn't worry too much about how the ankles and feet came out.

There are tutorials out there for boot covers (from people who have actually made them, which I haven't) that might be helpful, but honestly I think Sweet Pea's boots look more like thigh-high stockings/leggings with a shoe sole than like structured boots. So my plan is to make them just like stockings or a spandex body suit, and reinforce the bottom with a shoe sole. No need to get all the way to boot-building tutorials, IMO.

Lol 1 you are perfect for the costume you look alot like her actually

2 my friend has some WWII era leather holsters if you still need them I can ask if he wants to sell you them, and you should go to NYC for the 12 o clock showing so I don't have to find someone to be babydoll lol

Hahaha I've been getting that a LOT. It's really pretty exciting, there's never been a character that I've actually looked like so I'm pretty pumped. Especially since the more I find out about this movie, the more I know I'm gonna love it regardless of having an eerie resemblance to the main character.
(SURPRISE the musical director is the same guy who did Moulin Rouge, and yes they're going to be singing pop/rock songs! :love)

I dunno that I'd be able to get it done in time for the opening, it depends on when pieces come in the mail and such. As for the holster, I think I've managed to twist my boyfriend's arm into making it for me for my birthday (I don't have leatherworking equipment like he does) but if he doesn't make good on that I do think I have another source lined up for the holster. Thanks though! And it'll be awesome to see someone do the Wise Man, good luck!

Bought my shoes and gun clips and a few other things. A friend of mine kindly offered to sew up the uniform for me, gotta get measurements to her first but I'll post pictures whenever I get some! (Sewing is my least favorite medium, it's just so frustrating and I don't have the time with a lot of the work I'm doing right now to sew)

I'm desperately seeking that 1911 colt in silver and metal though. So many of the airsoft and replicas are plastic and/or black. Apparently my dad has access to a laser etcher at work which would mean I could get the barrel etched with the accurate patterns. Has anyone found a silver and metal replica?
If not, then comes the question--will a completely stripped and hollowed out REAL colt (i.e. every single interior working part would be removed and perhaps even solder the trigger in place so it couldn't be moved) be something that either a) would be totally disallowed at a convention, or worse b) be considered carrying a real gun? I don't have a gun license and that's not exactly something I want to be arrested for. >.<

I'm desperately seeking that 1911 colt in silver and metal though. So many of the airsoft and replicas are plastic and/or black. Apparently my dad has access to a laser etcher at work which would mean I could get the barrel etched with the accurate patterns. Has anyone found a silver and metal replica?
BANG. :love

BA-BANG! :love :love

Hahaha I've been getting that a LOT. It's really pretty exciting, there's never been a character that I've actually looked like so I'm pretty pumped. Especially since the more I find out about this movie, the more I know I'm gonna love it regardless of having an eerie resemblance to the main character.
(SURPRISE the musical director is the same guy who did Moulin Rouge, and yes they're going to be singing pop/rock songs! :love)

I dunno that I'd be able to get it done in time for the opening, it depends on when pieces come in the mail and such. As for the holster, I think I've managed to twist my boyfriend's arm into making it for me for my birthday (I don't have leatherworking equipment like he does) but if he doesn't make good on that I do think I have another source lined up for the holster. Thanks though! And it'll be awesome to see someone do the Wise Man, good luck!

Bought my shoes and gun clips and a few other things. A friend of mine kindly offered to sew up the uniform for me, gotta get measurements to her first but I'll post pictures whenever I get some! (Sewing is my least favorite medium, it's just so frustrating and I don't have the time with a lot of the work I'm doing right now to sew)

If not, then comes the question--will a completely stripped and hollowed out REAL colt (i.e. every single interior working part would be removed and perhaps even solder the trigger in place so it couldn't be moved) be something that either a) would be totally disallowed at a convention, or worse b) be considered carrying a real gun? I don't have a gun license and that's not exactly something I want to be arrested for. >.<

Well you got alot of stuff in the works but when do you think your costume is gonna be done by?

And Ba Ba Bang lol here's a cheaper alternative to those expensive replicas but the gun is solid but it's abs plastic
http://www.airsoftstation.com/tactical-1911-co2-silver-version-by-tsd.html

Well And Ba Ba Bang lol here's a cheaper alternative to those expensive replicas but the gun is solid but it's abs plastic
TSD Sports 1911 Style CO2 Powered Airsoft Pistol, Silver
Except for she specifically asked for "a silver and metal replica". ;)

Besides, I figured if RB was entertaining the idea of actually having a real Colt 1911 deactivated (where starting cost would be $500-$800 just for the base firearm), the prices for the ones I posted would be a pretty big savings. :lol

From now on, just call me "The Saver".

SA-VER!

Well you got alot of stuff in the works but when do you think your costume is gonna be done by?

And Ba Ba Bang lol here's a cheaper alternative to those expensive replicas but the gun is solid but it's abs plastic
TSD Sports 1911 Style CO2 Powered Airsoft Pistol, Silver

I have no idea. Again, depends really on when my boyfriend has time to do my holster and harness, and he has commissions he needs to finish before he does mine, and we're in the process of trying to move him 1000 miles to where I am...let's just say I'm not anticipating it to be finished in time for the movie.

BANG. :love

BA-BANG! :love :love

AAH! Your "Bang" is exactly what I need! And I've even got a little leftover x-mas money I could use to afford it haha. Just depends on a few things, most noteably "will the guards at SDCC tackle me to the ground for carrying it?" lol. But I also hope it's gonna be something I can get laser etched. That I won't find out until sunday most likely. *fingers crossed*

My shoes came in the mail today. They look awesome, just need to do some leather dyeing on parts of it and they'll be good to go. And my friend sent me a photo update on the top yesterday and I'm squealing with delight. ^_^

On the other hand, the 1911 colt airsoft magazine clips I ordered from Amazon came in and instead of black like I ordered, they're clear. :rolleyes Thanks Amazon. Debating on whether to go through the trouble of mailing them back and getting them in the right color, painting them, or even just recasting them in solid resin simply for the "I promise you these cannot be used as a weapon unless I threw it at somebody" factor.

I'm really itching to find a resource for screen-cast gun charms. I doubt it's ever gonna happen, I'll probably have to end up making that on my own, but I'll probably hold out until there's absolutely no hope of getting my hands on screen cast ones.

The only problem with a plastic gun is you have to be careful of how thick/thin the paint is if you're going to etch it. Otherwise you're going to have a silver gun with black (or whatever the plastic underneath is) "engravings" on it.

I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to do one of these costumes for Halloween, but she said everyone will probably do them since the movie is coming out.

Except for she specifically asked for "a silver and metal replica". ;)

Besides, I figured if RB was entertaining the idea of actually having a real Colt 1911 deactivated (where starting cost would be $500-$800 just for the base firearm), the prices for the ones I posted would be a pretty big savings. :lol

From now on, just call me "The Saver".

SA-VER!

Oooh touché nexus6 AKA the saver lol and if your so good you can help me find the belt holster combo for Ambers costume lol actually i just need the belt. Lets see you find that! Muhahaha

Stumplede upon this thread and saw the gun box, planning on making one myself so i gathered some info and different usefull links.

first of all the box and gun
the gun as previews said is a m19119a nickel plated engraved replica

Hardball - Gas vben - Blow-back - Colt M1911A1 - Marui - Rodes.dk

i found a pretty good deal on one with a box and a extra mag, the box will serve as the "inner" box and it would then be pretty simple to build another one around the existing, the finish of the the outer one will be piano black and the inner some kind of wood.

Charms: well i think i`ll have to get my searching skills tuned because i cant seem to find anything like the ones used in the movie! if not i will probably get something that looks most similar, also the chain that the charms is hanging form is found

second problem is the engraving. the book spoke of earlier in the thread has a great picture of the engravings so i would be fairly easy to find someone willing to do it for some cash, anyone els have some suggestions i haven`t thought of?

also what about the nickel? any ideas?

am i missing anything els?

thanks in advance

Stumplede upon this thread and saw the gun box, planning on making one myself so i gathered some info and different usefull links.

first of all the box and gun
the gun as previews said is a m19119a nickel plated engraved replica

Hardball - Gas vben - Blow-back - Colt M1911A1 - Marui - Rodes.dk

i found a pretty good deal on one with a box and a extra mag, the box will serve as the "inner" box and it would then be pretty simple to build another one around the existing, the finish of the the outer one will be piano black and the inner some kind of wood.

Charms: well i think i`ll have to get my searching skills tuned because i cant seem to find anything like the ones used in the movie! if not i will probably get something that looks most similar, also the chain that the charms is hanging form is found

second problem is the engraving. the book spoke of earlier in the thread has a great picture of the engravings so i would be fairly easy to find someone willing to do it for some cash, anyone els have some suggestions i haven`t thought of?

also what about the nickel? any ideas?

am i missing anything els?

thanks in advance

Well I believe that I saw a page in the art book with the engravings for the sword and the pistol on it and I think on the same page as that was a close up on the charms I'm not sure though

The only problem with a plastic gun is you have to be careful of how thick/thin the paint is if you're going to etch it. Otherwise you're going to have a silver gun with black (or whatever the plastic underneath is) "engravings" on it.

I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to do one of these costumes for Halloween, but she said everyone will probably do them since the movie is coming out.

Well that's the reason I was asking for a metal based replica. The laser engraver my dad works with probavbly wouldn't do that little, it'd probably just burst into flames or melt completely. The nickel plated replica should probably do the trick just fine, as nickel plating is usually plated onto copper or other substances that won't spontaneously combust when exposed to a high powered laser lol.

And as for the engravings...the art book simply makes it all too easy. It's like they went "here, prop replicators and costumers, have it. Gold platter. Please replicate."

EDIT: Although in order to have that engraving done the way I want, I'm emailing the people at that website and praying that replica can be disassembled. I need to be able to separate that slide from the rest of that gun.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back