Sterling Archer - Archer - WIP

P4r4dox86

So I was planning on taking a bit of a break after my Iron Patriot build, but after about 3 days I was starting to get itchy about starting on my next costuming endeavour. I've been watching the television show Archer for a while now and have thought that it'd be fun to Cosplay Sterling (Pic 1 & 2), and I think I could pull it off ;). With this in mind I thought it would be a nice easy costume to slowly pull together with no real deadline in mind so I've started purchasing a few items.

I have so far received my two turtlenecks (or tactilnecks) (Pic 3) , I got one charcoal and one black just to cover my bases colour wise. The black one is definitely a winner, the charcoal is a bit too light for what I want it for.

I also have a cheap black cotton/polyester suit coming (Pic 4) and I have purchased a simple silver tie clip which is also on it's way (Pic 5).

Archer uses a gun similar to a Walther PPK (Pic 6), made famous in the Jamed Bond movies, however finding a non firing replica in Australia is cost prohibitive, and due to our tight gun laws airsoft guns are illegal unless you have a proper gun license for the type of weapon you're buying/importing. So to have a $20 airsoft pistol that looks like a Walther, I would have to actually have a handgun license, so that is also out. I think I lucked out and found a toy gun that is a very, very close fit (Pic 7) and as it was only $1.95, I'm going to probably buy a few more and try modding them slightly to make them even more accurate. If not, the base model should work fine with a paint job.

More stuff to come, but this will do for a first post lol.

Last edited:
Re: Sterling Archer - Archer

I have so far received my two turtlenecks (or tactilnecks) (Pic 3) , I got one charcoal and one black just to cover my bases colour wise. The black one is definitely a winner, the charcoal is a bit too light for what I want it for.

"These are all black."
"Oh are they? Or are five in a dark black, and five in a slightly darker black?"

Let's see how many people recognize you as Archer, instead of thinking you're just James Bond. :p If you're wearing the turtleneck outfit, I think you should have the night vision goggles to go with it.

for your walther PPK (and it is a walther ppk in the series no doubt): cheap, full metal, right colour ! : RSOV.com
I've been wanting to add it to my collection ever since I started watching Archer. I already have the black one for my James Bond collection, I guarantee it's the closest to a real gun you ever going to get, down to the markings.

edit : hold on did I get this right ? You need a license for a real PPK to import an airsoft PPK ? My link doesn't do you any good then I'm afraid... That's a ridiculous law by the way !

Last edited:

The goggles are on my 'to make' list ;) I'm thinking about modding something like what's in the pic, but I'll look around and see what is available. And I was hoping the charcoal would be darker so I could use the dark black line, unfortunately it wasn't lol.

As for people knowing me, the Mrs is planning on putting together a Pam cosplay, and I'm trying to talk other friends into getting together to do a group cosplay (A Krieger, Cyril, Lana, Cheryl, VR Bride etc) and I'll also have an ID like in the other pic ;).

for your walther PPK (and it is a walther ppk in the series no doubt): cheap, full metal, right colour ! : RSOV.com
I've been wanting to add it to my collection ever since I started watching Archer. I already have the black one for my James Bond collection, I guarantee it's the closest to a real gun you ever going to get, down to the markings.

edit : hold on did I get this right ? You need a license for a real PPK to import an airsoft PPK ? My link doesn't do you any good then I'm afraid... That's a ridiculous law by the way !

Lol, yeah it's classed as a 'Restricted Imitation Firearm' which requires a license. Airsoft/BB guns are basically illegal in Aus without a license, and even then I wouldn't be able to take them out in public for a Con etc as if they're not being used as a licensed venue/range, they have to be secured in a safe that can't be moved. The reason behind it isn't so much that the gun is DANGEROUS, it's that replicas are often used in hold ups etc and can be mistaken for the real thing. It's annoying and inconvenient, but it's all in the name of gun control which I can get behind.

If the suit doesn't work out, you might want to look at H&M. They have a lot of slim fit, high lapel suits that are great fits. I always think of Archer as a grey suit sort of chap, they normally have those in stock.

You could always just wear this shirt!

Archer Suit Long Sleeve Shirt | DudeIWantThat.com

Just Kidding!!

But, on a serious note, you could get a grey suit and then paint in the darker shades and comic style stylized look from the show. Make it look like the first photo. If you use the lightweight airbrush paints it will not stiffen the suit too much. It might help to sell the trademark "Archer" look!

If the suit doesn't work out, you might want to look at H&M. They have a lot of slim fit, high lapel suits that are great fits. I always think of Archer as a grey suit sort of chap, they normally have those in stock.

Are H&M on ebay? I'll have a look as a backup :D.

You could always just wear this shirt!

Archer Suit Long Sleeve Shirt | DudeIWantThat.com

Just Kidding!!

But, on a serious note, you could get a grey suit and then paint in the darker shades and comic style stylized look from the show. Make it look like the first photo. If you use the lightweight airbrush paints it will not stiffen the suit too much. It might help to sell the trademark "Archer" look!

Yeah I originally went looking for a grey suit but it was harder to find than black. I had thought of using fabric paint to paint the majority of the suit different shades of grey to give the cartoony feel and leave the suit black in the 'shadow' accent places. Going to see how the suit looks/feels when it arrives and make a decision then, also depends what I can find in the way of fabric paint lol. At $60 including shipping and handling, if the suit gets ruined it's not a MASSIVE loss, although I'd rather not destroy it if I could manage it lol.

Something something, Danger Zone!

Honestly...your'e not even trying any more

"Call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!"

Last edited:
Went for shopping run around my local Bunnings Hardware store after work yesterday and picked up a few things. Got a pair of flip welding goggles that I plan on retro-fitting into NV Goggles! (Pics 1 & 2) :D. Also picked up some 15mm PVC pipe to cut down into a silencer for my gun (Pic 3), which I plan on attaching using the bolt/nut combo I picked up, and capping with the small furniture leg caps I picked up as well (Pic 4). Also printed out and laminated 3 ID cards (3 in case I screw something up lol) which I plan on mounting some how to wear on my suit :D (Pic 5).

I'm pondering maybe making up a fake Scotch bottle and small glass, but I don't want TOO many props as I won't be able to carry it all...The Mrs has suggested I get a duffle bag like his to put everything in, so it's a possibility but it depends if I can find one similar :p

I'm pondering maybe making up a fake Scotch bottle and small glass, but I don't want TOO many props as I won't be able to carry it all...The Mrs has suggested I get a duffle bag like his to put everything in, so it's a possibility but it depends if I can find one similar :p

....you know what else could carry all those great props.....

i575447.jpg

Not to mention the fun you'll have in this country trying to get into a con with a pistol and a bottle of booze. :lol
The duffle bag sounds like a good idea.

....you know what else could carry all those great props.....

i575447.jpg

LOL! I wish, but I don't think I could get that expenditure into the costuming budget unfortunately...Probably have to stick with my Corolla :p

Not to mention the fun you'll have in this country trying to get into a con with a pistol and a bottle of booze. :lol
The duffle bag sounds like a good idea.

Yeah. It's been enough of a bloody headache finding a look-a-like'ish gun that isn't illegal, going into a dry zone (The whole of my City except for licensed venues) with a bottle of booze is probably pushing it :p I'll just have to make sure, if I do make one, it doesn't look TOO realistic.

On the prop front, I had to stop past Bunnings on the way home again today to pick up a smaller diametre of cap for the silencer as the ones I had were about 2-3mm too big to fit into the pipe, so I got the next size down, which turns out is too frickin' small!! So I'll have to jerry-rig something together, but IT WILL GET DONE!!

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm also working on this cosplay but I'm having a hard time finding a wig that would work. Anyone seen any or could make a recommendation? My job is very restrictive when it comes to hair styles, so I don't really have the option of using my real hair. I'm also having a hell of a time finding a PPK that would be accepted at a con. P4r4dox86, any chance you have a link on where you got the gun (hoping and praying it was an online order and not something you found at a store)?

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm also working on this cosplay but I'm having a hard time finding a wig that would work. Anyone seen any or could make a recommendation? My job is very restrictive when it comes to hair styles, so I don't really have the option of using my real hair. I'm also having a hell of a time finding a PPK that would be accepted at a con. P4r4dox86, any chance you have a link on where you got the gun (hoping and praying it was an online order and not something you found at a store)?

Sorry mate I found it at one of my local cheap shops :( However I DID buy 3 of them (in case I screw something up) and, if you're in WA Australia, I could always mail one to you? PM me if you're interested.

As for the wig, I have seen something somewhere about people using a Fred Flintstone wig as it's black with the part etc, so that is always an option I suppose. I'll just be using my own hair, so I haven't really looked into it.

Hahaha I am loving this. Looking forward to the results!

Also, I've made resin PPKs in the past. I might still have the moulds.

Until I found the toy gun which was pretty close, that was my next best option lol I even bought a bunch of different solid foams etc to try and sculpt a basic PPK shape to make a mould, but now I've found this toy I think that'll do for now. Although I may attempt to make a better replica in the future I think.

I'm hanging out for my suit to arrive lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back