Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - 5/31 update

indiefilmgeek

Sr Member
UPDATE

This thread started as a place to discuss the concept and then morphed into a Work In Progress (WIP) after I agreed to build the helmet for Digitizit (and with his very skilled help!). Following the helmet, we will be working on the rest of the armor. Our goal is to have the FULL SUIT ready for unveiling at Dragon*Con 2013.

If you want to get straight to the build, that starts on PAGE 2. I'll also add links to any posts of particular interest so they are easier to find if you're just perusing.

OTHER POINTS OF INTEREST:
Goggles & lenses for the lite eyes (video)
Using Flowable putty (video)
Cutting the Faceplate off (Video)
Creating an ledge around the helmet opening where the faceplate will sit
Carving details lines into the helmet (Video)
Plastic-coating the foam faceplate armor plates
Faux-bolt heads for the ear area
Creating Custom Helmet Vents
Basic Helmet & Faceplate in primer (LOTS of pics)
Helmet Casting Process and Pictures
Faceplate Hinge - First Attempt (video)
Faceplate Hinge - Slider Design (video)
Jaw Detail Work - 180 Degree Tubing - pt 1
Jaw Detail Work - 180 Degree Tubing - pt 2
Jaw Detail Work - 180 Degree Tubing - Casting/Molding
Jaw Detail Work - Reset Gear set
Final Eye Light Wiring

What's below is a discussion about this design and other steampunk related references.

Enjoy!

Original First Post: April 2011

So, after seeing Johnnymuffintop's post about this helmet work - which included the By Design Ironman pic (below), I've been desperately fighting the urge to work on a full-size version of this suit.
tumblr_lm8ettqAI31qhpx4lo1_500.jpg

My love of all things steampunk, and the beautiful artwork of this piece makes me want to order some EVA foam and begin working immediately!

...however, I've promised myself that I'd wait until at least the first of the year (after the holidays) to start another project and of all the projects I'd like to do -- and there are MANY-- I just wasn't expecting to be drawn into costuming again this soon.

So, BEFORE I get too involved, I just wondered if there were any Steam punk Iron man builds already making the rounds?

I know there is the famous (or infamous) version from NY Comic Con, which turned out to be a re-purposed movie costume (although still cool).

5065636161_a3e0a57be3.jpg

...but as cool as it is... I'm not sold on that overall look (it seems a little 'thin' and too much like C3-P0 to me). I just don't buy he can kick *** - if you know what I mean.

I guess it comes down to personal taste, but just like the By Design look MUCH better.

So, has anyone taken this Victorian Era Ironman concept to full costume before? Any good reference pics of a similar themed IM build that you've seen?

I'd love to hear any feed back you all have regarding taking on a project like this.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Re: Considering a new Ironman Build - Steampunk??

Yes... yes... YES!
I love me some Steampunk (proper Steampunk, where everything has a purpose, not just a clock for the hell of it). And Iron Man is a great thing to use for it.

I don't think anyone has taken on the By Design costume on yet, though I plan to at some point.

Some other inspiration:
Steam Punk Iron Man at Conceptart.org
Iron Man Noir
MORE Iron Man Noir

And if you want a PDO of the By Design style helmet, TA-DA!
Model thanks to a guy on 4chan, unfold by me.

First off, thanks for the file Johnny! That's a big help! :thumbsup

I've also done a little more web-surfing and still have not found any costume pics (sans the Tinman/Ironman example).

I did find a couple more toy designs, but I'm not especially into either of these designs.

steampunk-iron-man_9SD8q_54.jpg

steampunk_iron_man_by_fourth_heir-d3kzprn.jpg

Anyone know if there's a Steampunk Ironman costume touring conventions? Would LOVE to check it out and/or use it for reference! :love

P.S. If this sounds interesting to anyone else - PepMaster is looking to do a run of this style helmet. Check out his thread HERE. :):thumbsup

Last edited:

I thought hard about doing this but it was just too ambitious for my second build. Here are some of the images I was using for inspiration.

iron_man_superSTEAM.jpg

STWarMachine.jpg

Steampunk-War-Machine-Marvel-Legends-Custom2.jpg

SPIM3.jpg

STeamPUnkIM.jpg

steampunk-iron-man-helmet.jpg
This one made me think "Iron Gentleman"

Nice pics, writefast!

If I take this on, I think I'm gonna have to stick with something close to standard human height rather than tackle something over-sized and involving stilts... I guess I'd just rather spend more time on creating fine detail rather than solving structural engineering issues! :lol

Oh, and in case I haven't mentioned this: I make costumes - I don't wear them. :love

So, I was pleased to have get official notice from my friend (and fellow Knoxville resident and RPFer), Digitizit, that he would be willing to have me make this costume for HIM... IF I decide to do it.

Nice pics, writefast!

If I take this on, I think I'm gonna have to stick with something close to standard human height rather than tackle something over-sized and involving stilts... I guess I'd just rather spend more time on creating fine detail rather than solving structural engineering issues! :lol

Oh, and in case I haven't mentioned this: I make costumes - I don't wear them. :love

So, I was pleased to have get official notice from my friend (and fellow Knoxville resident and RPFer), Digitizit, that he would be willing to have me make this costume for HIM... IF I decide to do it.

Curious, why don't you wear the costumes? I think the best part is having it all finished, putting it on and wearing around all the hard work you've done. But will agree its awesome to make a costume for someone else and see them light up.

Just curious to know!

Curious, why don't you wear the costumes? I think the best part is having it all finished, putting it on and wearing around all the hard work you've done. But will agree its awesome to make a costume for someone else and see them light up.

Just curious to know!

That's a very fair question!

First off, I'm not the right 'build' for wearing a lot of costumes (I'm sorta built like a Hobbit). :lol

Secondly (and more seriously), I just really enjoy making things... all sorts of stuff from wooden puzzle boxes and clockwork inventions to electronic contraptions and costumes. The fun for me is solving design problems and creating something unique that inspires, intrigues or entertains people.

So, for me all the costumes and Halloween make-up I've ever done (since High School at least) has been designed for someone else to wear.

Honestly, it more fun for me to be free of the costume and the constant photo-taking so I can walk around and talk with folks about the costumes and make-up! It allows me to interact with people without worrying about messing up my make-up or talking through a cumbersome costume. :love

Luckily for me, there are LOTS of folks who LOVE to walk around in costume - and they have just as much fun WEARING the costume as I have building it! :):thumbsup

Luckily, if I decide to do this costume, my 'partner in crime' is also very talented in make-up and costume-building. So, I get a collaborator as well as a model! :cool

Oh man this is a really cool idea. I'm not a very big Iron Man fan but all the iron man builds on here are so impressive. Especially the one you built for your son. I love steampunk and I'd love to see this made.

The 'skinny' steampunk I.M. is really cool... What if you bulked up that design? Though I'd mod the arc reactor to look more like a gas lamp or boiler, have some gas or steam lines leading to it or something like that

I did some very similar research before the gf said "Another Iron Man suit? Really?" lol.

(I then started desert storm batman)

I think you have license to do whatever you want here. In my sketches I borrowed a lot from warhammer 40K. I wanted something along that scale and proportions.

The key would be the weathering effect on the EVA which I haven't seen much of to get the hues just right.

Also, check out homedepot pluming section. I saw all kinds of stuff in there that I thought would be great for a project like this.

Good luck!

Shades

I did some very similar research before the gf said "Another Iron Man suit? Really?" lol.

:lol Yeah, I think my advantage is that I only played around with a 'scale' version... I've not done a full-size adult costume of Ironman yet. That's what makes this idea even mildly interesting to me (and something my wife can support as not being too derivative). :$

We must have very similar tastes, Shades, cause that Batman Desert Armor is the coolest suit I've ever seen for the Dark Knight. I've subscribed to your thread and enjoy seeing your progress!

As far as the parts of this build that are most attractive to me... they would be:

• Weathering detail - I love doing it & and love seeing it done well.
  • Mix Materials - the challenge of replicating multiple materials like leather, steel, glass, brass, etc.
  • Clockwork elements - I'm nearly obsessed with finding ways to create 'active' clockwork elements for this build. My desire would be to create several pieces of the suit that include meaningful movements of clockwork details.
  • Work Steam - I've had interest in creating something that has a steam effect for a while now, so this could be a good project to tackle that.

I'm still not completely sold on this as my next project, but it has enough interesting elements to have me seriously considering. :love

For the steam work, my best suggestion would be to get a tank half full of water, drop some dry ice in there, then have hoses leading to where you want steam to pour out of.

I'm actually thinking about using the same system e-cigarettes use.

It's not as dangerous to use as dry ice and it's small (read: light). :):thumbsup

Thanks Indie.

Like I said, I did some research on this and also was very drawn to the idea of "steam" in the suit to go really over the top.

Here is what I found.

Wizard Stick Fog Generator at Educational Innovations

Almost bought one to play with. No nastry dry ice or big heavy batteries. I bet the internals on this are pretty close to an e-cig.

Good luck!

breakpoint, yep! Your link contains the most pictures of that Tinman-to-Ironman conversion costume I've seen. If you're interested in more of the back story, my first post has a link to an article revealing some of the drama that came about as the FX folks and filmmakers of the indie film 'Tinman' discovered that one of their team had used their movie prop/costume to make that appearance at NYC Comic Con.

Shades - that's FANTASTIC!!! Perfect for what we're considering! Seriously, that link might make me decide to DO this thing! :eek

I've also found some other reference images... I'm only posting ones that I found that include certain details I like. So, I'll disclaim any of my comments below by saying that they DON'T reflect my opinion of the craftsmanship or design of these pieces as they were created. All for the artisans involved are truly talented and I have mad respect for what they created. My comments below are ONLY in reference to what elements I like about the pictures as it might relate to what I'm considering in my build. :)

steampunk_commission_armor_by_skinz_n_hydez-d37379z.jpg

I really like the treatment of the leather in this piece. The brass-work is also less overwhelming that many of the images you will see if you search for 'Steampunk Armor.' But my interest is mostly in the little details of the leather/brass riveting - which is done very well.

NOTE: I think one of the reasons I like the By Design so much is the way it is very much a steampunk look, but it is clean and not cluttered with too much brass, gears and other odds and ends. My goal would be to KEEP that clean-looking armor style (with any additional clockwork/gear details only showing up as hints peeking out from between plates of armor or joints for example).

Vinci_Riflemen.gif

On this picture, I like the design of the lower leg armor (especially the heavy spring look at the knee, the leather straps and the metal bands and toe-cap over the heavy leather boots). I don't know if any of this could be worked into the By Design suit, but I like it. :love

images

Now, while I am in awe of the leather-work that Ian (aka Skinz) does, I'm gonna point out that with both this piece and the other one above, I'm just not into random gears or tubing appearing on pieces. On the IM suit, I'd rather see these revealed within the joints of the armor only (providing only the hint that a complex clockwork engine running the suit).

3276475116_a97bd3b200_b.jpg

Speaking of steampunk engine... check out this collection of do-dads. Wow! I'd love to have access to some of these for the elements of the boiler-pack on the back! :cool

On the subject of backpacks and thrusters... I LOVE the design of the leg jets on this drawing by Zackary Coe (very cool illustrator - HERE is his site)!
ZDCIM_OrthographicSide.jpg

Maybe there's a way to use some of the leg thruster in the By Design costume... maybe...

steampunkstarwars.jpg

I also like a couple of the elements in this Bjorn Hurri illustrated jet-pack backpack (the fuel cylinder on the side for one). However, I think scale is an issue... I'd like to keep things on the subtle & smaller side of things rather than going enormously over-sized.

...and finally...
images

wtf? Steampunk Sarah Palin?!?!? Is this really a 'thing'? If the Tea Party is going steampunk, this fashion/style might very well have run it's course. :lol

Last edited:

rad idea, its awesome to see steampunk becoming more and more popular, looking forward to see this thing come to light! Subscribed! :love

Gosh darn't guys, now I want to design a Steampunk IM Helm! Another thing to add to my gigantic list of projects! But please someone get on this, because chances are it'll take me forever to get to it.

rad idea, its awesome to see steampunk becoming more and more popular, looking forward to see this thing come to light! Subscribed! :love

I'm extremely tempted to try it... Obviously, I'm spending some time researching it and sketching some things out, but I just don't want to declare this as my official next project until we clear the holidays... and I can promise myself that it will get completed (and be on time).

Gosh darn't guys, now I want to design a Steampunk IM Helm! Another thing to add to my gigantic list of projects! But please someone get on this, because chances are it'll take me forever to get to it.

Yeah, I totally feel your pain. :unsure

It's one of the reasons I'm hesitating on pulling the trigger on this project until I'm 100% certain I can work it all the way through to completion. It's very, very important to me to fight off my adult ADD and complete projects I start.

If you ask my friends from HS and college years, they would tell you tales of the vast wasteland filled hundreds of unfinished or half-started projects that littered my wake... After I turned 30, I made a very clear decision to work through selected projects until completion. And, although it's still damn hard to do, I finish what I start now days. :):thumbsup

I had been meaning to ask. What point of reference are you using for your design?
Are you starting with the classic Iron Man design and then applying a steampunk touch to it , starting with the movie one, or just whatever works mechanically and having it be deep red and brass?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back