Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - 5/31 update

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - Some Close-up Pics

Awesome looking build. Glad to see an interesting variation of the armor being made. Can't wait for more updates :)

i hope the rest is gonna look as good as the helmet :) good luck with this project

I have to say, this is my favorite build right now. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I have been lurking in the shadows watching this build and just wanted to say you make this look so easy! I love the concept of this and your skill.Can't wait to see whats next for this and can't wait to see what you create for your kids this Halloween! I've said this before if you ever want to adopt a slightly used, soon to be 40 year old, that enjoys costuming for Halloween,I'm your man:lol

I really, really appreciate all the kind words and encouragement! You all make this hobby a true joy to work on! :$

(and Sterling Archer, if we weren't working on adopting our fourth kid I'm sure my wife would consider your offer... at least you could reasonably be expected to do the dishes without too much complaining!) :lol

I don't have much of an update outside of a quick video I did tonight as I was carving the detail lines into the helmet. I apologize for the sub-par camera work... I was holding the camera with one hand and using the needle file to carve the lines with my other hand. :wacko

Here are the tools I'm using... These are hand-me-down needle files (you can find them via Amazon). I'm actually using the top file in the video. It's point is broken off, and that leaves a very nice flat edge on the bottom of the tool tip that I use to create my detail lines.
7498555876_85c94e64cb.jpg

And here is a picture of a couple of lines I was working on this evening... sorry for the bad lighting.
7498561620_877fcf3092.jpg

Finally, here is the 4 minute video I did showing an example of how I'm making these lines.

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - Carving Detail Lines Video

So Kick asss....on all levels!!!

Thank, buddy! :$

In between July 4th celebrations which included the obligatory hot dogs on the grill, watermelon, rootbeer floats and sparklers, I was able to get the rest of the detail lines carved into the helmet.

I have also hit the helmet and faceplate with some more putty as I'm drawing near to another coat of primer before I transition to adding the metal nose plate, rivets, vents and other details prior to casting.

Here's the update...

7505265428_28b0e598df.jpg

*Most of the putty this go around is on the edges to clean up any chipping that happened when I cut the faceplate out or carved the lines. There are couple places along the detail lines that I broke through the bondo/putty and hit the paper pep... these looked rough. So, I carved them out a bit, then filled the whole area in with putty. When it dries I'll re-carve the line (but this time it will only be through putty which should make them very sharp).

7505264844_9d78f93e02.jpg

*Good picture of the lines across the top of the helmet. Symmetry is NOT my strong-suit, so while they aren't perfect I'm very happy with how well these came out.

7505263856_eecbfb53aa.jpg

*In this picture I'm holding the faceplate in place, so you could see what the closed helmet will look like with these lines. I think these detail lines REALLY add a lot to the look of the helmet. It would be very 'plain' without them.

7505264296_15f1dc5d3a.jpg

*Again, another picture of the detail lines... this one from the back of the helmet. As you can see from the reference pic below, there will be two 'vents' that we need to add below the detail line shown.

7411994090_8b00fea972.jpg

And finally, here is a look at the extra putty on the faceplate... Hopefully, one of the last applications before I add the nose armor plates and other details! :):thumbsup

7505263254_0a865307cc.jpg

I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable 4th! :cheers

Looks great!

I'm curious - are you going to give it that "cast" look that the reference photo has? Or will it be smooth like the film version?

Looks great!

I'm curious - are you going to give it that "cast" look that the reference photo has? Or will it be smooth like the film version?

Thanks! I'm personally starting to get excited. I think that has to do with the fact that I'm ALMOST done with the basic body of the piece and will soon be moving into my favorite part (which is detailing work)!

Regarding our plans for the final look of our armor, I'd say our goal is to replicate the 'look' of the artwork. That will include the rivets and what I always assumed was 'steam engine soot deposit' that is heaviest on the top of the helmet, but evident on many of the other pieces as well. The artwork looks like a suit that has been worn and used, so while it won't necessarily have 'battle damage' it will probably look a little 'worn.'

That's out goal...

Hit the helmet with a couple coats of primer tonight... It's really starting to come together.

7517922762_b5a087e241.jpg

Awesome work on the helmet!

I was looking back at the artwork on page one and the pipe coming out of Ironmans back thats blowing steam caught my eye. I found the perfect gadget to give it that effect if youre interested here Products: Zero Toys Online Store

Look at the wizard stick on the left side, third product down

I log onto Rpf just to see if you have updated this beast!!!!
My favorite build in years!
Hats off brother,truely a work of art!

I have come to a conclusion that therpf should have a like button.
'Cause this thread is definitely worth liking! :thumbsup

That air flow detector is deluxe! You could literally run tubes everywhere on the armor and make puffs of smoke come from various joints ect! That would look so wicked!

Thanks for all the very nice comments! I honestly consider kind words from members of this community the highest honor someone like me can receive for my build. :$

Awesome work on the helmet!

I was looking back at the artwork on page one and the pipe coming out of Ironmans back thats blowing steam caught my eye. I found the perfect gadget to give it that effect if youre interested here Products: Zero Toys Online Store

Look at the wizard stick on the left side, third product down

Great minds think a like! Our friend Shades mentioned the EXACT same unit when we started on the build! :):thumbsup

You're both right, this and the other units like it would work PERFECTLY for supplying 'steam' to all the right places we want to vent it! :cool

I've been sorta quiet about all the animation and detail we'd like to add to this piece, but we've had 'steam' on the list from the get-go! So, we'll be checking this unit out when we get a little deeper into the build!

Currently I don't know anyone else that's used this type of unit in a build, so I think it's important to let everyone know what works and what doesn't for us and our build. So, as always -- win or lose -- you can trust that I'll definitely post about my experiences with it. :love

Since I always like to include at least one picture... here's what the helmet and faceplate currently look like in primer (and in daylight)...
7523330618_af73aa6976.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back