Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. TOSPHASER is offline TOSPHASER
    Feb 22, 2010, 5:46 PM - Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #1

I just got this work of art today From the Captain of Star Trek Phase II James Cawley......I had a little deal worked out with James from a while back and I am so happy with it! I can not get a picture to this tunic Justice, up until this point no one has got the fabric correct! this is dead on in every way.
    James suggested I leave it a bit long in the sleeves and waist so I could have it custom fitted.....I am glad I listened as this way I can get just the right fit, for anyone on the fence with ANOVOS throw out the tunic you have now and Start saving your $$......this is the Ultimate for the Trek fan that wants as close to the real deal as you can get!!!
    here are a few pix, but like I said you can not get a snap shot to even come close. on a scale of 1-10 I give this a 20!!!

Last edited by TOSPHASER; Mar 3, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
  2. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Mr. Masters Tidal Pool
    Feb 22, 2010, 8:02 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #2

Looks like "That dirty rotten velour" will finally be mass produced.

I have one of James 3rd season Tunics and he does do excellent work.
  3. TOSPHASER is offline TOSPHASER
    Feb 22, 2010, 8:16 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #3

apollo said: View Post
    Looks like "That dirty rotten velour" will finally be mass produced.

I have one of James 3rd season Tunics and he does do excellent work.
    yep the stuff you love to hate! I love it!!! hey post a pic of your Tunic if possible I would love to see it!
  4. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Mr. Masters Tidal Pool
    Feb 22, 2010, 8:32 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #4

Oh I love all TOS Tunics, I was quoting what they used to call the Velours on the show because they shrank.

As soon as Jose offers them up I'm in!

Sorry I would post pics if I had a camera but like your velour what you see in the pic is not what you see in the flesh.

TOSPHASER said: View Post
    yep the stuff you love to hate! I love it!!! hey post a pic of your Tunic if possible I would love to see it!
  5. TOSPHASER is offline TOSPHASER
    Feb 22, 2010, 8:38 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #5

Oh I love all TOS Tunics, I was quoting what they used to call the Velours on the show because they shrank.

As soon as Jose offers them up I'm in!

Sorry I would post pics if I had a camera but like your velour what you see in the pic is not what you see in the flesh.
    And I always thought that was a 1/2 shirt at the end of season 1!!!
    I had an Adam29 3rd season years ago....I know what you mean about the color, many people told me it looked way accurate but why was it Green?

yep when these are a go I will need a Red, Blue....then all three in season 3 then pants...boots, belts and what ever else they come out with!! my wife is giving me the look!
  6. RPF Premium Member phase pistol's Avatar
    From
    New York
    Feb 23, 2010, 1:17 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #6

A flesh woman, to touch, to hold... a beach to walk on... a few days, no braid on my elbow...

compared with the fresh new costumes in "Corbomite Maneuver", the first episode filmed

Last edited by phase pistol; Feb 23, 2010 at 1:28 AM.
  7. TOSPHASER is offline TOSPHASER
    Feb 23, 2010, 1:27 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #7

phase pistol said: View Post
    A flesh woman, to touch, to hold... a beach to walk on... a few days, no braid on my elbow...

8. RPF Premium Member phase pistol's Avatar
    From
    New York
    Feb 23, 2010, 1:32 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #8

Closeup of a screenused shirt.

9. RPF Premium Member phase pistol's Avatar
    From
    New York
    Feb 23, 2010, 1:48 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #9

The key to getting the delta shield right is to realize that it is made up of arcs.

Feb 23, 2010, 2:08 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #10

The key to getting the delta shield right is to realize that it is made up of arcs.

An interesting and effective way of explainign the Star Trek shirt logo/shield...well said indeed.
  11. TOSPHASER is offline TOSPHASER
    Feb 23, 2010, 2:39 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #11

so is the insignia in accurate??? looks to be a more idealized version hence not as sloppy as the original but still looks very good to me!! and the sparkle is very much the same as the original you pictured I had to really mess with the camera to tone the sparkle down as the flash brings it right out.
    Feb 23, 2010, 3:24 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #12

The texture of the gold background of the insignia is wrong. I think the material started out without wrinkles at all, then gained them almost immediately with wear.

But VERY nice tunic!
  13. RPF Premium Member phase pistol's Avatar
    From
    New York
    Feb 23, 2010, 3:44 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #13

I agree that the tunic seems very nice. I will be eagerly awaiting my chance to own one.

My personal obsession with Trek wear is the EARLY first season tunic, which fits well, has the very SHINY badge and braid, and note that the braid is spaced very tight on the sleeve.

Note the shiny badges, and the angle of Kirk's pointing to the shoulder (this angle varied before it was standardized by moving the badge down on the chest and having it always point up)

In this "Corbomite" frame note Uhura's command color tunic (changed after a few episodes to red) and incorrect "Science" insignia (changed to the Engineering/Services spiral later)

Your tunic I think is quite nice... the badge does look a bit idealized and I wonder if it is attached to the fabric or sort of "built into" it, stitched in permanently? Hard to tell.

k
    From
    NYC
    Feb 24, 2010, 3:41 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #14

nice shirt! He did a good job. I know how hard it is to find this true replica. I have to say I don't think that insignia looks right at all. Looks more of a costume version. The velor also looks very "polyester" to me. Again, I know how hard this is to get even close. I think its a nice piece. Can I ask what u paid????
  15. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Feb 24, 2010, 8:42 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #15

Nice spring weave collar. The velor looks OK. The insignia needs to be tossed-out.
    From
    USA
    Feb 24, 2010, 11:33 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #16

My personal obsession with Trek wear is the EARLY first season tunic, which fits well, has the very SHINY badge and braid, and note that the braid is spaced very tight on the sleeve.
    Wow, but Spock's turtleneck of a collar is heinous!

OT, I know...

A promising start for a season one tunic. Anxious to see more from this source. I think I agree that the insignia looks a bit off.

BTW, anyone know where that springweave collar fabric can be found? Lack of it has kept me from making my own tunic.

Rick
  17. RPF Premium Member phase pistol's Avatar
    From
    New York
    Feb 25, 2010, 12:37 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #17

Spock's rockin' that ascot!

But I like the giant Spock collar. Nimoy actually does look better in a high collar.

Several actors are wearing giant collars in "Corbomite Maneuver", though it seems the collars were cut down right away except for Spock's, which stayed high for several more episodes.

Prior to filming the first season (but after the pilot films), a transitional costume design seen only in publicity photos, had the high collar and simple rank bands. These collars have rounded necks without the pointed tip.

And of course prior to that, rather high stiff collars were used in the second pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

Nimoy's collar in particular was special in those early days because it fastened at both sides, so he could remove his shirt without damaging his complex Vulcanian makeup and ears.
  18. TOSPHASER is offline TOSPHASER
    Feb 25, 2010, 3:16 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #18

The insignia is sewn on just like the originals............it has not nor will it see the abuse that the ones on the show saw!
    Last edited by TOSPHASER; Feb 25, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
  19. Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Feb 25, 2010, 11:21 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #19

Can someone please tell me where these Tunics are available for sale? Are the Red & Blue ones also available?
  20. TOSPHASER is offline TOSPHASER
    Feb 25, 2010, 11:29 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #20

One thing I can tell you is this is dead on to the Original Fabric, I think it was a mistake on my part to try to share it here as my camera will not take a decent photo!.........the Insignia IS In fact an Idealized version taken from an actual template Used by William Theiss..........as such it has been cleaned up and the embroidery is far better than the Original, very clean and well made!!
  21. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Mr. Masters Tidal Pool
    Feb 25, 2010, 12:55 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #21

Shado4 said: View Post
    Can someone please tell me where these Tunics are available for sale? Are the Red & Blue ones also available?
    Jim Cawley made this one and he is consulting with www.anovos.com

That is where you will be able to order them from.
  22. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Mr. Masters Tidal Pool
    Feb 25, 2010, 12:58 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #22

TOSPHASER said: View Post
    One thing I can tell you is this is dead on to the Original Fabric,
    From what I have seen yes it looks like it stepped off the set.

James supposedly has the templates from Bill Theiss for the Insigna as well as the braid.
  23. TOSPHASER is offline TOSPHASER
    Feb 25, 2010, 1:10 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #23

From what I have seen yes it looks like it stepped off the set.

James supposedly has the templates from Bill Theiss for the Insigna as well as the braid.
    Thanks apollo! James does in fact have the Original templates for both!!
    Mar 2, 2010, 12:10 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #24

pictures gone?
  25. TOSPHASER is offline TOSPHASER
    Mar 2, 2010, 9:35 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Season 1 & 2 Tunic #25

nwjedidave said: View Post
    pictures gone?
    something I did! sorry I will get them back up soon! thanks for letting me know!