Star Trek TOS Phaser Belt

Kang

Hey guys. I was just wondering what it would take to make one of those odd colored TOS Phaser belts. I think they where brown.

I have it in my head to make one from an old Tee-Shirt, and would like to know how well that would work as well.

Last edited:
The brown belts you describe were only used in early first season episodes, with the white-handled phasers. I think they were meant to be a futuristic take on the Western holster with pearl-handled revolver.

I'm pretty sure the brown belts are suede. You can see the stitching at the edges.

mtbrownphaserbelt.jpg

cxbrownphaserbelts.jpg

cotkphaserbelt.jpg

For awhile there was an attempt at a black leather belt worn at the waist under the shirt. While this was fine for holding the p1 hand phaser and communicator, it just didn't work with the pistol phasers very well.

slspockblackphaserbelt.jpg

Ultimately velcro patches were just sewn to the pants (or worn as a "thigh board" over the hip) and the props just appeared to magically adhere to the pants.

ogphaserpadonpants.jpg

Broad black belts with the "soft side" of the Velcro attached, were still worn occasionally over the shirt (often by red-shirted security guards), but these tended to look pretty dorky.

sbblackphaserbeltoversh.jpg

That last shot is from the episode where Richard M Nixon guest starred as Scotty. :lol

Actually come to think of it, I shot some photos of Greg Jein's phaser belt at Worldcon 2006. I'll check to see if I have clearer shots of the edging.

ktwcphaserbelt01.jpg

Search your local fabric shops, you might find something close. There are tons of different type of trim like that out there. It probably won't be exact, but who's gonna know.

Last edited:
Bringing up an older thread, but where were the comms placed when they used those belts?

I let someone borrow my TOS DVD's - otherwise I'd check for myself.

I had made a belt, quick and dirty, for a convention I attended last month. It took less than a day to make and I wasn't going for accuaracy. I just needed it for the costume and time had become short.

attachment.php

I had made it out of gold felt -best color I could find to match the suede, canvas, a sheet of Stitch Witch, silver rick rack, velcro and elastic. I had ironed the felt and canvas together with the Stitch Witdh. Layed a pattern I had made of the belt over it and cut out. I had made a loop of the elastic and stitched it onto the belt. I then stitched on the velcro and then used fabic glue to add the rickrack.

attachment.php

Like I said, it's not accurate and may not be the best thing you guys have seen, but it served it's purpose. :)

Greetings!
I got some brown VFF suede fabric from Jo Annes, some gold 5/16ths trim, elastic, and velcro and my wife made mine. I used a darker brown as the yellowish one did not appeal to me.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back