Star Trek Hazard Team Uniform Build Thread - UPDATE with LCARS Goodness!

I'm going to start making a Hazard Team uniform (ENT-E era) to wear to the Vegas Star Trek convention.
I'd love for any hi-res reference pics you have, and any hints and tips for working with the rubber I'll need to make the straps etc.
I'm going to start with a Nemesis era uniform, and work from there.
I've already begun construction of the phaser rifle and tactical communicator needed. This will be a functional uniform with a LOT of lights and sounds, as well as the wrist pieces which will work with light and sound.
Any help, tips or advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

**EDIT***
Also, I'll be making the Mark IX science tricorder, as well as the cobrahead phaser for the uniform too, so I'll keep you up to date on this.

1hruo0.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Star Trek Hazard Team Uniform Build Thread!!

I've started my Mark X Tricorder tonight. This is my first scratch built tricorder.
Big thanks to gmprops for selling me the instructions and the diagrams to build this, it's going to give me a lot of new tricks (I've already learnt a bunch already) to help me with this Hazard Team costume build.
Expect updates within a few hours.
Qapla'!

Setting up my work station
2yvneyv.jpg

Finished step one of the tricorder (the box frame - you're awesome Gerry!)
2rrnzbb.jpg

I have no ides what a "Hazard Team Uniform" is (something from Nemesis?) but I like the look of the project. Good luck!

I have no ides what a "Hazard Team Uniform" is (something from Nemesis?) but I like the look of the project. Good luck!

It was from a computer game that came out a few years ago. The original was set on the Voyager and it involved an elite team of security personnel trained to handle things that went above & beyond what and ordinary security team would be trained to do. There was a sequel that came out, this time set on the Enterprise E but with the same basic premise.

It's not considered a canon uniform, but as I already own a bunch of star trek props and costumes, I'd like to have something different for vegas this year.
It's quite an elaborate costume, especially considering wrist pieces will have sound and lights, my phaser rifle will be kitted out completely, and ill have my scratch built tricorder and hand phaser.

Also, I've found that Tamiya model paint TS-42 "Light Gun Metal" is the best paint I have found for a VERY fine metallic flake, and the right colour for tricorders. Really happy with the colour.

Also, just did a bit of digging around and found what will become the commbadge for my hazard team uniform.
2rm1huh.jpg

The Tricorder and the Communicator look great! definately interested in how the build goes. Love the ideas of having the lights in the mechanics of the suit.

Just wondering why you're going with the Cobra head Phaser instead of the Phaserang or the Nemisis Phaser.

Also, are you going to have holsters for the phaser and Tricorder or keep with the idea of them being stored in the transporter buffer?

Just wondering why you're going with the Cobra head Phaser instead of the Phaserang or the Nemisis Phaser.

Also, are you going to have holsters for the phaser and Tricorder or keep with the idea of them being stored in the transporter buffer?

I'm going with Stapleton's nemesis phaser kit, so as soon as that's underway I'll let you know how I'm getting on.
Also, the nemesis hazard team uniform has two utility pouches on either side of the thigh. I'll be making hard pouches out of plastic and silicon rubber, and I intend to have the tricorder fit in one of these. The other will likely fit my mobile phone and camera while I'm at the convention (as well as a LOT of money!!)
The phaser I will likely holster on the belt itself.
I've just started drawing up the control panel for the left arm, which I have taken from a screenshot ingame. This will be backlit and I may have a few sounds built into it.

Very nice, I'll be watching this with great interest. :thumbsup Where did you find the commbadge? Oh and I see we are from the same city. :cool

Very nice, I'll be watching this with great interest. :thumbsup Where did you find the commbadge? Oh and I see we are from the same city. :cool

The commbadge was an voyager one I had bought. It attaches magnetically to a slim backing plate that, when pressed, makes the chirp sound.
It's a licensed product, excellent finish on the badge, and great sound effect too.
One less thing to worry about!!

And what city, Perth? or Edmonton?

The commbadge was an voyager one I had bought. It attaches magnetically to a slim backing plate that, when pressed, makes the chirp sound.
It's a licensed product, excellent finish on the badge, and great sound effect too.
One less thing to worry about!!

And what city, Perth? or Edmonton?

Ah I see, very nice piece. :thumbsup
Edmonton. :cool

I'm very interested in your hazard suit build, since it might be the first time someone attempt to do it.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back