Star Trek: Elite Force / The Hazard Suit

Teroch

Howdy all. I don't know how many of you have played either of the ST: Elite Force game series, but I'm a big enough fan to start a project to make both of the main costumes from them. This is also a learning experiance, as I haven't done to much sewing, but with a professional seamstress as a mom and an industrial sewing machine in the works, I should be alright.

However, first I'm going to work on some concept pieces in 3D. For me, it'll be easier for me to get a perspective on everything. I'll also need to model out (and add) detail to to the harness accessories and wrist bands. Game models are always low in detail so that the game can run smoother. Most details are in the textures, even for next-gen game engines like Halo 3, UnReal 3, ect... When I get those complete, I have a contact with a guy who will make molds for the harness accessories and wrist bands, from the 3D models.

In order, I'm going to make Hazard Suit(HS)v1 first then HSv2. When I get to HSv2, my personal one is going have some extras for added armor plating for a Star Trek-Star Wars crossover project. This way, I can switch between both with ease at cons.

So, any suggestions on materials? I was talking with my mom and she suggested faux leather or vynil. I thought of using the good old wool used in the movies, then use faux leather for the shinny details. What do you guys think?

Here's some info for you guys. It's basicly a first-person-shooter, Star Trek/Quake/UnReal-Tournament style, which starts off with Voyager being trapped by an alien machine bent on controling the galaxy. The next game, which is set after ST: Nemesis, shifts foreward on the Enterprise-E trying to prevent an old bio-engineered army/weapon from being used by the Romulans.
You play as a commando on the "Hazard Team", shooting through hords of aliens, fall in love, and learning some sort of philosophical lesson that we all love Star Trek for. :cool
Fun game, and great graphics for it's time.

Equipment:
HSv1: Banana phaser, type 3 phaser rifle, mark X or mark IX tricorder, ect
HSv2: Dolphin Phaser, type 3 phaser rifle, Nemesis "Padd" tricorder, ect

The Suits:
Hazard Suit v.1
Hazard Suit v.2

The Team:
Starfleet Hazard Team

The Games:
Star Trek: Voyager: Elite Force
Star Trek: Elite Force 2

Last edited:
oh man, i've wanted to do one of these since the first time i played EF1 back when it came out!
i think the material should be the wool gaberdine or whatever it was in the show/movies, with vinyl accents like you said.
if your seamstress wants to make more than one, count me in!

YES! Thank you, for reminding of that name. I was looking for the name for a while, but hadn't had much time because of work. PRobably simple to find, just goes to show my current schedule. :lol

As for making more than one, I might be persuaded to do that. However, that's a ways off from now. Besides making patterns and making sure it all sews up, I still have to model up the harness and guantlet props, adding detail over the crappy game models, and get molds made for those.

Ok, off to a slow start here, considering I started this a few weeks ago. Work's been busy, but I finally got the time to work on getting some previsuals. What I did was rip the models and textures from the EF2 game, so that I can get a better look at where everything is preportioned. EF2 has the HSv1 texture as well, so I lucked out on that one, since that one is higher res than the first game (EF1), and I've been having problems with the first game too. The exact props for the HSv1 suit are not correct in EF2, but I can fix that later.

I'm using 3DS Max 8 as my main modeling program, and Milkshape 3D to get the game models and textures.

Anyways, here's a comparison of the two textures. As you can see, the models didn't come out right at the shoulders, but that's easily fixed, just need to find the time. The textures deform with the model, so I can do almost anything I want to fix it. Oh, and the white/grey around the comm badge and ranks are normal. In-game they wouldn't show up, but I just don't have them set up that way in 3DS, because I'm not all that worried about it.

HSv1_01 / HSv2_01
HSv1_02 / HSv2_02
HSv1_03 / HSv2_03
HSv1_04 / HSv2_04
HSv1_05 / HSv2_05
HSv1_06 / HSv2_06

As I learn to sew, I'll be fixing this, and detailing out the various props. I don't have a due date on this because of college coming up, and needing to get a part-time job, but maybe the first one will be done by next year March for Sakura Con. I'm scoping out some sewing machines this weekend. Hope to have some good news on that end.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back