Here's the progress thus far:
I started by sketching up some full size patterns.
I mocked-up various parts of the costume to validate (and help improve) my patterns.
I decided on a color and dyed my material. I used procion fiber reactive dyes, a mix of 'fire red' and 'chocolate brown' (Used a bit more of the brown than red) I used the washing machine method, and it took nearly a day. Not to mention a lot of salt! (And soda ash, and detergent...) I now understand why colored fabric can be twice as expensive as undyed- It's probably worth it. (If you can find the color you need...)
Here's a comparison, (note that the color is a bit washed out in the camera flash...) on the far right is some leftover material I used for my mock-up, that didn't look too bad, then my first dye test (a bit too red I thought) and left and rolled is the color I settled on.
I chose to start the serious work with the sleeves. This was because the sleeves have most of the complex features of the jacket, and if I totally blow it, I haven't used that much material up... First came the elbow pads:
Then I cut the interfacing and ironed it onto the outer material. I've decided I rather like fusible interfacing.
For the giant piping I used 9.5mm cording. And I learned that to get it to assemble right, you must cut the piping material on the bias. (Before this project, I didn't even know what that meant...)
I didn't have any luck in my search for proper 'solar system' patches for the shoulder. So I scratch made a couple- mostly with a tight zig-zag stitch, but some paint and sharpie was used as well.
So here's what the (flattened out) left sleeve looks like: (You can see the mock-up sleeve below it.)
I still need to add the big department color strap with it's piping, squeaks and pips, but that will be attached later. Here's the left sleeve together with the jacket's lining- you can see the collar in progress as well.
That's it so far. I figure I'm around 30% done. I still have to convince myself I can come up with a good way to attach the external pockets....
That's for looking!