Spirit hat

bendingoak

Here you have it guys and dolls. Introducing "the Baney" or as his daughter would call it " the Spirit of Barney." You know how I name all my non- Indy hats after someone I knew. This one is named after my very, very dear friend and the best dang firefighter that ever fought the beast. Barney was a fan of the Spirit comic book by Will Eisner. Here's the best shots I could get today my camera guy is not here. :roll: This will be offered in both beaver and rabbit felts. This one her is pure beaver. I really hope guys and dolls like it. I think I got the look of the movie Spirit hat down this time.

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

Looking great but personally from my reference images i would say that the crown has to be slightly higher. Not as high as a Indy fedora but its got a high crown. Admittidly i could be wrong though as its a difficult thing to tell with a film that prides itself on being as dark as possible :lol

Last edited:
Yes, it was a very dark wasn't it but that was the Spirit. As for the specs, I tried it with a slightly taller crown and you would have said that it was way to high. I went off of the fact that the ribbon is a 1 1/2 inches and as long as I know what the ribbon width is I can get the others specs based off the ribbon.

Yea the ribbon size seems right but when looking at the pictures mattmurdockYML posted it looks squater than the film. You have done a stunning job with the rest of it but the squat crown is quite distracting to me. Is it possible to do a test version with a slightly higher crown?

I did one with just a 1/4 and 1/2 and they were to high. It could be the angle your looking at. The ribbon is 1 1/2 inches and if you take that as a point of reference the others spec out to where I have them now.

Here's the others with a taller crown.

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

is it just me or does it seem like the front of his hat slants back a bit? I thought it was just the angles but even moving the pic so the hat is flat it still seems to slant back.

Well to be honest i think that the second hat wioth the taller crown looks better in my opinion.

I can see what MattMurdockYML is saying about the slant. The crown should be ever so slightly slanted back when looking at the hat on a horizonatal position. Dont take this all as bad critisism we just want to see this hat looking perfect :)

The screen use hat has tapper built in, No question about that. The crown height I'm sure of.

All the feed back is very welcome, thats why I posted it. This will be my offering right now. Unless there is a lot of interest for this hat I can't warrant the price of a whole set of blocks and flanges. It would cost thousands.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back