I was bored today, so I cobbled this little post together from my cape build thread. Now it is all in one place for easy reference if anyone ever wants to make another cape...
enjoy and happy building
Here is how I made my Comic-Con spartan cape:
I got red linen at one of the shops in Downtown LA.
It was expensive, so I had to settle for 3 yards. The initial plan was to use the 60" width (+ whatever) for the vertical length of the cape + maybe cutting off a little at one end to add to the bottom so that it comes closer to the floor. In the end I decided I didn't need any extra length and just used the 60" width of the bolt as the full length of the cape in back.
thanks to our friend Van we were able to figure out some of the mysteries of the cape - so I started to sew mine together
first I draped it over the mannaquin (thanks Kevin for the loaner!)
then pinned it in front to hold it in place and measured the gap
then to fill the big gaping hole in the back - I cut 10" off of one end and re-draped it with the new center and pinned in the mock hood piece
here is the sewn piece. All draping is temp - but I needed to dye it brown to knock down the red a little
I went with about 2 mins in a full strength RIT Brown bath. (4 oz dye 3 gallons water 1 cup salt) It came out really nice.
the two minute sample is top right. I figured that this color matched the rest of the guys close enough -so that is what I did.
here's the new color after the brown dye
then I made the leather harness part
here is the pattern - 1.25 inch straps were used in front even though in this photo they were 1.5"
first I sewed the cape back to the harness
then sewed in the tulle
and gathered it on the mannequin and sewed it all down.
and here's the finished cape. I added more dye to the bottom and tattered it up a bit. now 100% ready for Comic-con.
and one crappy pic from con - we didn't get too many of the cape unfortunately...
I was the one on the right...