Shrykull's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - The Riddler

Shrykull

I've been around for a while but I don't post very often. Halloween is a big deal to me and I've always put a lot of effort into making awesome costumes.

If I don't build something from pepakura files, I usually try my luck at the local thrift store and develop a costume based on what I'm able to find there.

Previous builds:
Iron Man Mark II - Halloween 2009 - pepakura build
Classic Joker - Halloween 2010 - thrift store purple tuxedo, imp prosthetic

This year I found a green suit and a black derby... I then of course had to make a Riddler costume.

Riddler suit supplies:
- Green sports coat
- Green slacks
- Black derby
- Purple collared shirt
- Purple tie
- Commercially available "Green Lantern" mask
- Black gloves
- Black shoes
- Black belt
- Green pocket handkerchief
- Spray paint: Green glitter, citrus glitter, metallic purple, primer, silver

Riddler cane supplies:
- Arkham City Riddler cane files from simplecomplex's thread
- Card stock paper
- Fiberglass resin
- Wooden dowel
- Stainless steel chair glide
- Mahogany wood stain
- Polyurethane
- Spray paint: Silver, primer

I made several question mark stencils and secured them on the tie and jacket. I sprayed primer first and then several coats of both green glitter and citrus glitter spray paint.

I stained the dowel and then polyurethaned it after letting it dry.

I used primer on the Green Lantern mask and then spray painted it silver. Next I coated it with the metallic purple paint.

I sized, printed, and built the question mark portion of the Riddler cane. I then coated it in resin and allowed it to cure. After curing, I sanded and primed it and then painted it silver.

I attached the stainless steel chair glide to the end of the polyurethaned dowel and then mounted the question mark with super glue. I then applied another coat of polyurethane.

I coated a small question mark cut from card stock with resin. I then sanded it and primed it. I applied a coat of the citrus glitter paint to it and mounted it on velcro. I then cut the excess velcro away and stuck it to the derby.

Check out my photos, I'm really happy with the results:

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back