ScarletSpeedstr's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry (Starlord Custom Trench Coat)

ScarletSpeedstr

Like many others, I knew I wanted this as my costume from day one of the trailer. I got my hands a little dirty with foam last year when I made my first 'real' costume, which was a Mr. Freeze build. This year I decided it was time to up the ante and attempt the foam helmet. I knew the trench coat was the real problem, but I didn't want to buy one. I googled many patterns until I finally decided on an old Simplicity pattern for the Matrix trench coats. After securing that and modifying the pattern, it was off to the races to try and get this done in time for Halloween and the Wizard World Ohio Con. I don't want to write a book, there are a ton of cool costumes to look at, but if there are questions or comments I'll gladly respond in this thread. Thanks everyone, hope you guys like it!

First, the real photos from this week's Wizard World in Ohio:
IMG_2085.JPGIMG_2079.JPG

Now, here are the pieces:
Trench Coat: Custom made from a Matrix Simplicity pattern
IMG_1999.JPGIMG_2009.JPGIMG_2008.JPGIMG_2001.JPGIMG_2131.JPGIMG_2132.JPGIMG_2133.JPGIMG_2134.JPGIMG_2013.JPGIMG_2135.JPGIMG_2006.JPGFullSizeRender (3).jpg

Sling Bag: Custom made. I took some pics of the fabric from Quill's movie bag and had it printed onto fabric at spoonflower.com. This is also how I obtained the accent pieces for the coat.
IMG_2014.JPGIMG_2397.jpg

Helmet
: Made from EVA Foam and plumbing supplies. Lit with red EL Wire. (Thanks to Helagak for the initial pattern pieces!)
IMG_2028.JPGIMG_2024.JPGIMG_2021.JPG

Rocket Boosters
: Cut and painted Captain America binoculars, painted with Rustoleum and then Rub 'N Buff Silver Leaf
IMG_2018.JPGIMG_2031.JPG

Belt Buckle
: Cut from foam, painted black, and then used Rub 'N Buff Silver Leaf
IMG_1995.JPG

Sony Walkman: This is a repainted Drinkman. The "Sony Walkman" letters and arrow were on it before the Con started, but have since been lost. (Except for that 'O'!)
IMG_2129.JPG

Blaster: Just a simple repaint of the Nerf Blaster.
IMG_2128.JPG

Last edited:
Re: ScarletSpeedstr's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry (Starlord Custom Trench Co

This entry just requires a proof pic. :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back