Rubber - What Philippine Cosplayers Are All About

izabel

Sr Member
Hello! I would like to share here, costumes made by the best cosplayers in the Philippines. As I have mentioned before, we use rubber for most of our mecha/robot costumes and get creative with the mechanisms. These are my friends from our cosplay community and I hope you all enjoy looking at the photos/links I will post here. These are the best of the best. ;)

P.S. These are only a few. There are more. :love

Cosplayer: Katsune

1. IM Hulkbuster
5059.jpg

2. Megatron
5600.jpg

3. Spawn Samurai from Spawn Dark Ages: Samurai Wars
4402.jpg

4. Jetfire from Transformers ROTF
7514.jpg

Cosplayer: the_bram_bear - He likes them BIG!

1. Batman Killgear
8449.jpg

2. MechaGodzilla Kiryu from Godzilla - 7'2" tall
5939.jpg

3. DyGenGuar from Super Robot Wars Alpha - with 40 cm stilts!

6953.jpg

4. Lancelot from Code Geass
7804.jpg

Cosplayer: Mark Cerezo

1. Optimus Prime
3333.jpg

Sorry for the Dy Gen Guar pic. It's too big!!! waaah!!! :cry

someone should make a Dragonzord with that Rubber Material.

digi8.jpg

Correction: someone should make ME a Dragonzord with that Rubber Material.

...for free. :p

Those are some seriously awesome suits. Did anyone track down the technical name for this rubber yet?

-Nick

Those are some seriously awesome suits. Did anyone track down the technical name for this rubber yet?

-Nick

nah. you can afford it if you're here. :p

i think paulfierce already knows what's it called there. too technical for me to remember. all i knwo it's rubber for slippers or as paul corrected me it's called sandals/flip-flops there. hahaha!

hmmm...i'll ask robert if he wants to do a dragonzord. LOL. i'll post him the challeneg. hahaha! (he'll kill me.)

bram is famous for the big mechs. and when i say big THEY'RE big. 7 ft - 9ft tall. but we can still walk. ;)

-Nick

HOLY GOD those costumes are awesome!!

I am still going with "some type of EVA foam rubber", Nick! The pic she showed in an earlier thread of flip flops have the bottoms on them that are made of the thick type that is used on the interlocking floor mats. I see them all the time in stores.

HOLY GOD those costumes are awesome!!

I am still going with "some type of EVA foam rubber", Nick! The pic she showed in an earlier thread of flip flops have the bottoms on them that are made of the thick type that is used on the interlocking floor mats. I see them all the time in stores.

lol. sorry i can't provide the technical name for it. ask paulfierce i think he already knows. what i heard it's expensive there. one time let's go video conferencing. :D

I believe the stuff you are using is cross-linked polyethylene which is similar to EVA but not quite the same. It's very popular among cosplayers overseas and some here in the US.

Cross-linked polyethylene is the stuff Crocs are made of and can be bought easily in sheets in the US in varying thicknesses.

It is thermo-formable, yet heat resistant, durable, waterproof, etc. In many cosplay cases, it is made into the desired piece and then covered with something like vinyl or fabric. It can be painted as well.

Example:
garo.jpg

This is polyethylene covered with metallic gold spandex. The sword as well. This is not my costume.

I've been using this stuff along with polyolefin for a while now.

Ryu

I believe the stuff you are using is cross-linked polyethylene which is similar to EVA but not quite the same. It's very popular among cosplayers overseas and some here in the US.

Cross-linked polyethylene is the stuff Crocs are made of and can be bought easily in sheets in the US in varying thicknesses.

It is thermo-formable, yet heat resistant, durable, waterproof, etc. In many cosplay cases, it is made into the desired piece and then covered with something like vinyl or fabric. It can be painted as well.

Example:
garo.jpg

This is polyethylene covered with metallic gold spandex. The sword as well. This is not my costume.

I've been using this stuff along with polyolefin for a while now.

Ryu

omel called it "foam-assisted rubber" whatever that means. lol. we don't cover it anymore. just spray paint directly.:) maybe for some costumes but most are not anymore.

The Hulk Buster and the Megatron are crazy awesome. Can you get this "rubber" thin enough to be flexible like over a joint?

according to one of the better costume makers over here in the Philippines ( cyback) , "foam assisted rubber" comes in varying thicknesses, from 2mm up, he utilizes diff thicknesses in his costumes and the thinnest ones are used where flexibility is most required

according to one of the better costume makers over here in the Philippines ( cyback) , "foam assisted rubber" comes in varying thicknesses, from 2mm up, he utilizes diff thicknesses in his costumes and the thinnest ones are used where flexibility is most required

correct. :D

Have to say some of those transformers are pretty damn amazing! Now..to just see if theres any conventions on in the Phils in Jan :p Cheers for sharing!

Seriously, totally amazing stuff! The Lancelot suit from "Code Geass" is just incredible; looks to be 100% show accurate. Kudos!

Once a month? Ah sweet. Shall make use of that then!

Yup! The other half is finally getting me over to meet the family so of course gota get some prop related goodness in while there :p

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back