Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Germany
    Dec 12, 2011, 1:35 PM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #51

In this photo of original armor from the LF archives, the buttons are clearly not sculpted in a line, very much like seen on the sculpted RS Props pieces:

From
    Germany
    Dec 12, 2011, 2:07 PM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #52

I finished one ABS thigh today, only the "knee ammo belt" fixings need painting. The ABS thigh turned out a bit closer to the original thigh piece, I especially like how the top edge turned out.

Here's a couple comparison pics, with my PVC thigh left and the ABS one right:

3. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Heart of Dixie
    Dec 12, 2011, 2:11 PM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #53

This is why a picture tells a story. Thanks, ObiHahn
  4. RPF Janitor RPF Premium Member Lear60man's Avatar
    Dec 12, 2011, 2:20 PM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #54

Question. R2Dan posted a link to a youtube vid of him playing with his RS armor. He was bending it like a mad man and it just popped back into shape...perfect for trooping. So which is the flexible suit...ABS or PVC?

One more ?? I see you guys are using metal clips. Have these been confirmed as original construction method or are they the 'new and improved' method of strapping a ST suit?

Awesome build by the way!
    From
    Germany
    Dec 12, 2011, 3:04 PM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #55

My good mate R2Dan was bending the heck out of his PVC armor in that vid you refer to. ABS will not take that much abuse, it's just not as flexible as the PVC - do the same to an ABS chest plate and it will crack, even the 1mm ABS TM I had before these 2 sets of armor would have been damaged where the RS Props PVC parts will just flex back into shape.
    But it's not indestructible, mind you. Normal costuming and the occasional sitting down or bending over will not destroy the PVC, though.

The original armor strapping inside the movie costumes consisted of these metal brackets and elastic loops/straps; also, every rivet, screw and snap seen on Dan's and my suits are in the correct position.
    And this original internal strapping system is - believe it or not - very well suited for wearing the armor during, say, a long 501st troop or similar events.

It's engineered very well but really only makes sense for thinner, flexible material like the kinds you see here in my build thread. Thicker armor will need another kind of strapping system.
  6. Formerly joepinaaples Bobtherocker's Avatar
    From
    behind the sofa
    Dec 12, 2011, 4:41 PM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #56

The original strapping method when applied to this particular suit adds to the overall ANH feel as much as the contours of the armour itself in my opinion.
    After 7 years and many different armours I think I'm finally satisfied that I have the definitive ANH replica in my possession.
    It's on my mannequin in my living room and I can just stare at it for hours.

Dennis, Loving the construction of the ABS thigh. Definitely nailed it there
    From
    Australia
    Dec 12, 2011, 5:07 PM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #57

Your doing an awsome job buddy.

I copped flogging in my thread as to the position and size of my brackets.I just wanted to add that the strapping brackets are not as perfectly made as people make out. I will post pics as to why if I can get permission.you can see discrepancy in the archives pics too if you look. Some are even way off centre.

Anyway I'm loving your work and look forward to more.

Ben
    From
    Germany
    Dec 13, 2011, 3:27 AM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #58

gizmo said: View Post
    I just wanted to add that the strapping brackets are not as perfectly made as people make out.
    Thanks, and I agree. In both my suits, the brackets are positioned more or less as per Simon's original suit. Especially the middle chest bracket is noticeably off center, and the brackets themselves are handmade and wonky. It all helps nail the "sloppy" ANH look, and I'm having a blast putting these together that way.

Today, I'll tackle the shin pieces. Other than that, I am waiting for the correct screws and snaps to arrive, and also my replica belts - they are on their way, yay!
  9. Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Dec 13, 2011, 10:11 AM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #59

Superb, as some of you know I have quite a large collection and waiting on my CFO at present, can anyone point me in the direction for a getting an RS, many thanks and this is a genuine request and excuse me, I just want to make sure I am asking the right people.
    thank you
    PM sent Obihahn

From
    Germany
    Dec 14, 2011, 7:19 AM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #60

I have some progress to share, since my superb replica belts arrived.
    Check this out:

It's the finished PVC torso with belt and holster.

And here is the second, identical belt in its "raw form" compared to my ABS torso:

I also finishes both detonator tubes:

And this is how far I am with my ABS armor. I have laid it out "ESB style" with a painted ESB helmet (with chipping) and my TM ESB handguards in matching ABS.

Next up: assembling the ABS shin parts and then suiting up in the PVC armor.
    From
    Germany
    Dec 15, 2011, 6:13 AM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #61

Everything is assembled on the ABS armor as well, minus some small closing/strapping mechanisms. I mocked it all up with some white gaffa on my (too tall and silly) mannequin.

Here's a pic (helmet and hand guards aren't RS PropMasters):

My camera battery is charging right now; later I'll try and snap some pics of me wearing the whole finished PVC shebang.
  12. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Heart of Dixie
    Dec 15, 2011, 11:00 AM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #62

I find myself coming to this thread over and over. Thanks for all the updates, ObiHahn

PS Would you consider building other people's armor?
    From
    Germany
    Dec 15, 2011, 12:14 PM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #63

Idlewild said: View Post
    I find myself coming to this thread over and over. Thanks for all the updates, ObiHahn

PS Would you consider building other people's armor?
    And there's even more updates today!

I guess building armor for others would be mostly one thing: expensive.
    With all the mailing stuff around the world and the hours invested in every build, I'd have to take a bit for it - but sure, I love building armor and I think I kinda nailed the stormtrooper after building 5 suits (these two suits being 4 and 5).

Here's me wearing my PVC suit for the first time - not bad for a first fitting:

Both the helmet chin strap and the crotch strap weren't closed. The butt plate hangs down too low in the rear view.
    In the rear view you can also see that I might have to re-do the shin closures, since they're not seamless enough...maybe I will reposition both the closing elastics and the covering strip.
  14. Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Dec 15, 2011, 8:47 PM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #64

That is an awesome job. Absolutely beautiful.
    From
    Germany
    Dec 18, 2011, 2:36 PM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #65

I weathered my PVC armor this weekend, and I think it turned out pretty true to the good old "Tantive IV" raid scene look. I thought about leaving this suit shiny at first, but I prefer the "battle worn" look of ANH troopers, so this one also had to take a beating.

With flash:

Without flash:
    From
    Germany
    Dec 19, 2011, 5:37 AM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #66

Here's the PVC helmet, with simulated paint chipping showing the khaki "HDPE" underneath, plus some weathering:

17. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Heart of Dixie
    Dec 19, 2011, 10:05 AM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #67

OMG! ObiHahn, are you sure you didn't steal this armor from the LFL archives? Again, great job.
    From
    Germany
    Dec 19, 2011, 1:21 PM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #68

That's basically the look I was going for, Idlewild, so thanks!
    Well, not so much "aged archive armor" but more like "end of the shoot Tantive IV raid".

Everything is better than pristine armor IMHO, uncle George did not think up his "used universe" for nothing!
  19. Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Dec 20, 2011, 4:12 PM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #69

Beautiful work. Just the right amount of weathering.
  20. RPF Premium Member Snowmann's Avatar
    From
    Germany
    Dec 20, 2011, 4:51 PM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #70

It look´s perfect to me. Falling in love
    From
    Germany
    Dec 21, 2011, 4:27 AM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #71

Snowmann said: View Post
    Get a set of RS armor as well then!
    Jan 4, 2012, 9:02 AM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #72

Hey ObiHahn,

Have you got any progress on your ABS suit to share?!

Which do you prefer to 'suit up' in? The ABS or PVC suits? I'm guessing it's PVC cos it's so much more robust and flexible?

Where did you get the aluminium strips for your O2 cannisters / thermal detonators? I would imagine it's easily bent by hand, and can be easily shaped around the grey pipe 'body' of the O2 cannister / thermal detonator?

Snowmann said: View Post
    ObiHahn said: View Post
    Get a set of RS armor as well then!
    .... and then 'get a room' with it! .........
    Just kidding, man.... we are all a 'lil bit in love with this fantastic armour.
    .... it just ain't 'physical' love.....

..... yet!

Cheers,
    John
    john@manicminer.plus.com
    From
    Germany
    Jan 5, 2012, 4:43 AM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #73

Hey John, here's where I'm at with the ABS armor:

Now all I need to finish it is the correct setting tool for the accurate snaps I have - searching for one is not the easiest of tasks. Once all torso snaps are installed it'll be ready to wear/display, and it will also be weathered like my already finished PVC armor.

Which set do I prefer to gear up in? Hm...I'd have to say the PVC one, because like you said, the flex and sturdiness is really ideal for trooping.
    But nothing beats the look and feel of the original material, so all in all, the ABS one is my fav.

The detonator strips are normal 1mm sheet aluminium from the hardware store, I cut and bent that to shape. It's quite easy to work with and is easily bendable around the grey pipe.
    Jan 5, 2012, 6:56 PM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #74

Cool... thanks for the answers.

That ABS suit's looking very nice - hope you get the snap setting-tool soon, so you can suit-up in the ABS costume

Cheers,
    John
    johnATmanicminerDOTplusDOTcom
    From
    Australia
    Jan 6, 2012, 3:39 AM - Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 #75

I really love how you've finished and weathered that pcv helmet Obi. Looks real nice and aged.Abs suit looks sweet too. I think I may pick up one of the restored PVC suits this year if I can afford it after I've finished my unrestored abs suit.

Ben