Rebo's MkIII IM (now with added Mk VI foam build)

Rebo

It's almost embarrassing to start another Im build thread here, ah what the hell. :)

I have been building my guy since the dawn of time, no seriously its got cobwebs on and everythin. With one thing and another going on in life I never got to spend as much time as I would have liked on him, hopefully that's all changed now.

You guys have moved things on and some of the old stuff I have built has new revisions out, the helmet for instance. I'm not to fussed though, A few mods here and there won't hurt.

Anyway, my build so far consists of DF's Dungbeetles and Zabana parts.

Here is a few pics to get this thread going and hopefully I will have some regular updates to post from now on.

I have been working on Zabana's palm today but ran out of time. I'll have another blast at it when I get in from work tomorrow and hopefully finish the center as well as tidy the lines and clean up the pitting.

Zabana's parts are the devils work but they look so good once built.

Last edited:
Re: Rebo's MkIII IM

It's almost embarrassing to start another Im build thread here, ah what the hell. :)

I have been building my guy since the dawn of time, no seriously its got cobwebs on and everythin. With one thing and another going on in life I never got to spend as much time as I would have liked on him, hopefully that's all changed now.

You guys have moved things on and some of the old stuff I have built has new revisions out, the helmet for instance. I'm not to fussed though, A few mods here and there won't hurt.

Anyway, my build so far consists of DF's Dungbeetles and Zabana parts.

Here is a few pics to get this thread going and hopefully I will have some regular updates to post from now on.

I have been working on Zabana's palm today but ran out of time. I'll have another blast at it when I get in from work tomorrow and hopefully finish the center as well as tidy the lines and clean up the pitting.

Man your work is stunning!!!

I will love to see a few pics of how do you work, I mean from "hard paper" to primed and ready piece just to take a few tips from your method :love

I need to start taking my time on my pep work so mine could come out half as smooth as yours does. Excellent work!

Not started mine yet but man that looks sweet and sooo smooth :thumbsup

this looks awesome! would you mind explaining your detailing method that you mentioned on the pep thread stealth has started?

Sorry for the lack of updates.

Anway here is where I am at with the hand. I mocked up the fingers and wrist (these are scrap fingers) with some convoluted pipes and clay.
I could mess with it all day put I keep messing bits up as I fix another bit. I'll fine tune it once I have a hard copy.

Ah thanks guys.:$

Just to answer a few question...

I really don't do anything special other than take my time, one because I am a very slow builder and two I hate having to build things twice so I like to get it right the first time.

I build by looking at the pep in the 3d view and bend the part to roughly match the shape before gluing it. I try to bend (curve) the parts where I can rather than using sharp creases, which are generally only needed on the edges. I don't tend to print the numbers I just glue the start and finishing point first and everthing else should fit inbetween.

With really small or very thin parts I hold the part in a pair of tweezers (the kind that clamp shut) and soak the part in superglue and leave to dry. Once dry it has a lot more strength, won't tear and holds it shape a lot better.

Just building with superglue adds a hell of a lot of ridgity to the parts. For the hand above I used no resin or fibreglass and fillered straight over the top of the pep. Admittedly I wouldn't do that on a part that I didn't plan to cast.

Also try building without flaps as these tend to make fiddly parts more difficult to work with.
As far as the speaker wire trick goes it's pretty simple.

All you need is a length of wire with a thickness to suit the groove you wish to make and glue it in place every one inch or so. Leave enough at both ends so you can grip it when you need to remove it.

Now using bodyfiller cover your part and the wire if necessary. Once dry sand the part as normal or at least untill the wire is exposed and then gently but firmly pull up on the wire untill it pops free of its glue bond.

Don't get carried away and try and pull it off in one go as you may snap it and then you'll have to pull from the other side. Once the wire is all removed fold a peice of sandpaper and run it through the groove to clean it up.

Re: Rebo's MkIII IM (now with added Mk VI foam goodness)

I took a few pictures of my progress so far with my foam build.
The light blue parts were my first attempt at foam building but are way to soft and badly glued so are going to be binned.

Slowy losing my sanity and need to decide what part to build up next?.
What do guys think, am I on the right track?.

Last edited:

Who let this guy in here?

jk...nice to see you back man. Awesome Foam building as well!

This deserves a bump. People must have totally missed your LONG OVERDUE
update.

Thanks guys.
Sorry for the lack of updates.

this looks super nice! loving the hands! i thought my foam hands looked nice... then i saw yours, and now i feel ashamed :( lol. great work though!

this looks super nice! loving the hands! i thought my foam hands looked nice... then i saw yours, and now i feel ashamed :( lol. great work though!

Thank you.
I found that I could run the 1mm (I think?) foam though the printer which gave me super sharp lines to cut.

A little up date!!

Ignore the ballpit washing basket it's belongs to the kittens. Now to remake the abs and cod, enthusiasm is dying a little now, but i'll battle on.:cry

Forgot to add that the back is also done, I just haven't taken a photo of it yet.

Last edited:
Found an old wetsuit that I had bought at a boot sale and turned it into a mannequin.
First the missus complained about the suit parts laying around here and there, now she's complaining that Diver Dan gives her the creeps!.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back