Popular RPF Pulse Posts:

25 Star Wars Gifts That Live Up to the Hype
10 Memorable Marvel T-Shirts That Make a Lasting Impression
Check Out These Incredible Fan Created Movie Posters!
Our Top Picks for the Must Buy Games of 2015
Subscribe
    Aug 31, 2008, 9:34 PM - Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" Mask #1

Just saw some of the "80 Hours of 80's Videos" on VH1 Classic and saw a block of Quiet Riot. Whoa, talk about memory lane! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had ever made the asylum metal mask from the videos/album cover? I know it's not movie or scifi, but it's been a coveted piece by me since I laid eyes on it. I bought a rubber one years ago:

but would love to get involved in a project making one or hook up with someone who has already made one. Any info?
    Aug 31, 2008, 10:37 PM - Re: Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" Mask #2

Man, what memories. I had a metal one with the chain waaaaaay back when Metal Health was released. I wish i could remember where I got it.
    Aug 31, 2008, 11:24 PM - Re: Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" Mask #3

kinda like the fork glasses from the Scorpions. Very iconic.
    Sep 1, 2008, 2:27 PM - Re: Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" Mask #4

womo68 said: View Post
    Nice reference! Those were creepy!
    Sep 1, 2008, 4:59 PM - Re: Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" Mask #5

yep...and probably the least expensive prop I could ever make
  6. Gone but not forgotten.
    Sep 2, 2008, 3:45 PM - Re: Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" Mask #6

I know there were some plastic ones that they (Kevin) would toss into the audience during shows and I saw a metal one at my local record show back in the day as a promo piece for the album.

Great idea for a prop - I used to want to make the A-HA comic book from Take On Me but could never find good enough ref pics.
    Sep 3, 2008, 9:40 PM - Re: Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" Mask #7

Really? Cool. I never knew that. I really want to make one, but my lack of working with metals knowledge makes me weary. I might give it a shot though. Gotta get a decent copy of the 2 videos "Metal Health" and "*** On Feel The Noize" to see side shots of it.
    From
    FL
    Sep 3, 2008, 10:56 PM - Re: Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" Mask #8

That brings me good memories from my teenage years! lol
    From
    FL
    Sep 3, 2008, 10:57 PM - Re: Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" Mask #9

womo68 said: View Post
    Yup. I had that album, excellent album!
    From
    Rumford, Maine
    Sep 4, 2008, 4:38 PM - Re: Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" Mask #10

Heck, you could probably pull off a decent copy using cardboard, thin brass sheet, and bare metal foil...
    Last edited by gunnerk19; Sep 4, 2008 at 4:41 PM.
    Sep 4, 2008, 4:43 PM - Re: Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" Mask #11

Doesn't looh too difficult... but gosh how far off is the rubber one! I guess I wasn't as picky as a kid!

Mark my words, I'm making one! Anyone who wants to help please let me know!

Now all I need is a red leather straight jacket! Where in the world would you get one of them?!?!

Oh, and "green" jeans... at least they look green on the album cover.

What a cool Halloween costume!
  12. Gone but not forgotten.
    Sep 10, 2008, 5:17 AM - Re: Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" Mask #12

I just saw the video for Mamma We're all Crazy Now and they show a different version of the mask - one with teeth
  13. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Aug 2, 2015, 3:21 AM - Re: Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" Mask #13

I made a Quiet Riot mask when I was in junior high school in 1986-87. I made it out of sheet metal in my shop class. The school provided the thin sheet metal. I used their Industrial shearing machine to cut it, after drawing the design first of course. I sort of, measured my face for it to fit. To make the eye holes I drew the rectangles then drilled a hole in each corner and kept drilling more holes along the lines of the rectangles until I could get a blade inside. After the eye holes were cut out, by just drilling along the line. The edges were very jagged and rough from drilling all the holes. So I took a file and filed them down until the edges were smooth. I counted how many holes they used for the mouth, from the album cover. Then drew them onto the metal mask with a sharpie and positioned them perfectly. Then I drilled the holes for the mouth. I also drilled out the nose hole and filed it down the same way I did the eye holes. Then I made a separate piece to cover the nose hole. Straps that hold it on, I made out of metal. I soldered them on using a soldering iron. Then I had to sort of, fold the mask in half almost, using a giant industrial metal bender in the school shop. For contouring I took it outside on the lawn and hit it with a hammer trying to round the face off in the cheek bone area. The whole thing is held together with solder. For the chains, I used a dog color chain. I still have it to this day its rusting a little bit. if I can add pictures to this I will.

I can't figure out how to add pictures to this. So email me at (gmaxroble@mail.com) if you would like help.

I'm on Facebook as "Max Halifax" I have hundreds of pictures in my F.B. albums, of costumes and masks that I do. My Quiet Riot mask, pictures are in one of those fb albums, somewhere.
    Last edited by Darth Simmons; Aug 2, 2015 at 3:29 AM. Reason: want to add pictures. Can't figure out how.