Q's About EVA Foam

Yonih

Hey guys

I've been reading throughout the forum here for the last couple of days and looking at TheHeroTutorials (Stealth's 7 parts) on how to use Pepakura to make pretty much anything with foam...

In his first movie Stealth says he uses a "quarter of an inch EVA foam". Google says quarter of an inch is 1.5875mm..

I live in Australia and have been looking online for foam shops.. Found one not that far away from home but they're online shop isnt that friendly...

I was wondering if anyone can help me out here and specific say what's the foam I need to get...

And while on the subject without making another thread, I've seen the tutorial telling how to use Pepakura designer to make your build but what if the build I want to make has a lot of excessive parts that don't need to have for foam making, is there a way I can tell while it's on screen which parts I can remove?

Cheers all

Edit; And what's the price I should pay for the foam?

Hey Dude,

Check out Bunnings they have floor mats that work well. It is in the flooring section. You can either get the 4 puzzle piece style or they even have what is called anti-fatigue garage flooring. Its the same stuff Stealth uses in his tutorials.

Price shouldnt be an issue because EVA foam is cheap. Personally I spend a little bit more from a local supplier to get denser foam.

it's actually 6mm :thumbsup

edit:
oh, I get what you're saying now.

I explained an idea of what parts you don't need in the modification video.
Usually it's the really thin pieces, commonly used for raised areas. You use the foam's thickness to eliminate the need for those parts.

You really need to watch vids closely, use common sense and creativity to find other pieces you think you don't need.
it takes a bit of practice to figure out what you need or don't need when editing files for foam.

a lot of guys here, now have taken the foam modding concept and gone really far with knowing what to take out and what to leave.

you need to just build and get that experience. You'll notice things more and more.

Last edited:
Try the cheap shop 'Dollars and sense' they sometimes stock the foam matts and the anti fatigue rolls for about $10. They don't stock it all the time so you have to be on the lookout, its pretty good for the price.

Also i think if you use the "check corresponding face" command in the pep designer you should be able to check the parts you don't need in your build. I think thats what you might be after or a step in the right direction.

( right click on the 2-d section to bring up the command menu in pep designer)

Stores that specialize in foam typically cost a fortune only use them if your after something very specific.

Good luck fellow aussie builder.

Last edited:
Hey all

Thanks a lot for all the responses!

Went to Bunnings and got the same thing Stealth uses.

Yeah like you guys said, it's all about getting experience as you go.. The more ill do, the better ill get. I'm not the biggest Iron Man fan (but it does look awesome) and since there's so many Iron Man files, I'm starting with that. I know it's said not to start with the mask but I couldn't help myself... Is that possible or am I just destined to fail? Already cutted the paperwork and tomorrow I'm gonna do the foam and pasting

Meh, if you want to start with the helmet, start with the helmet. Just be aware that due to your limited experience you may find, as you progress, that the helmet doesn't meet your standards and you may decide to re-do it. It's not the end of the world.

Many people suggest not starting with the helmet due to this, and the fact that it's one of the 'main' parts of the armour that people will notice, but there is no 'rule' that says you can't. Do what you want mate, and just remember that one set back doesn't mean failure.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back