Protoman! (making the armor real)

The Ronin

So I've been kicking around the idea of doing Protoman from the Megaman game series. Who doesn't love the mysterious older brother that makes you wonder if he's good or bad?

So I ended up getting one of my grandpa's old flight helmets and I decided that I wanted to restore it, but I also wanted to have fun with it too. From the research that I've done, it appears to be an Air Force HGU-26/P flight helmet. The goal is to have fun, but make sure that anything I do, can be undone to make it as original as possible.

Expect things like snap fasteners and chicago screws to be used for attaching EVERYTHING that's not original to the helmet (besides paint)

The visor cover in the pics is already painted a steel silver, because it was cracked by my daughter. My own fault, I didn't snap the chinstrap after putting it on her head :rolleyes

I started by disassembling the helmet, taking an insane amount of pics in the process, just so that I knew where EVERY little piece would go when I eventually put it back together like original. One of the neat things I found was that this was truly a pilot's fitted helmet, not a ground crew/flight team helmet. How did I know? It had my grandpa's name and rank (at the time of fitting) written on the section of the padding that was GLUED to the inside of the helmet.

I have since painted the rest of the bucket steel silver, but didn't get pics of it yet. I thought about fixing all the little scratches, chips, and such, but I figure those belong to the helmet. Besides giving extra "battle damage" they belong to the helmet. My grandpa flew combat missions in both Korea and Vietnam that I know of, and they may have come from protecting him. Otherwise, I know a few may have been from when I was a kid, because I know I played with it quite a bit when I was little. :)

Last edited:
Re: Protoman! from Megaman build (Starting with a vintage HGU-26/P flight helmet)

Since I want to make everything that I'm doing undoable, I have to make anything that I add on removable. I decided that I wanted to make the crest so that it would hide the visor slides as much as possible while still being usable. With this I figured that I'd make the white portion like a crest that would go over the visor guard. This allowed me to get the shape I want over the visor and have a little stylistic fun too.
(Look in the attachments for pics specifcally relating to the "crest")

I resined the crest and started on the iconic "ear cups." I'd call what I was doing "Manual Pepakura" because I didn't have a design, I just assembled everything the same way.

2012-06-16_12-54-24_864 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

Then I realized that I needed to make some kind of extensions on the cheek/chin area to give it a fuller look and frame in the face a little better So I worked up some pieces to be part of the ear cups

2012-06-16_16-13-21_701 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

After that I gave them a decent coat of resin and waited until the next day. Of course I had to play around and mock them up to see if they would look okay

2012-06-17_11-56-05_563 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

And who could resist trying it on? :love (not me, that's for sure)

2012-06-17_12-06-12_952 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

2012-06-17_12-08-05_818 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

Content with how that was going to look, I decided that it was time for actual fiberglass!

2012-06-17_14-58-38_43 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

Unfortunately I forgot to buy more brushes and ran out of time. Glassing in 100*f heat makes the resin set up LIGHTNING QUICK. I managed to get 2 layers of glass on the crest, but didn't get to finish the ears/extensions. After leaving the pieces out in the heat to harden up, I did a rough trim on the crest.

2012-06-17_17-23-43_875 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

Well, that's all I have for now!

Re: Protoman! from Megaman build (Starting with a vintage HGU-26/P flight helmet)

Finally got some more time (and weather that wasn't over 100*f) to work on the helmet, so I slapped some bondo on the crest and hit it with a filler grater to get the shape. I swear that's the greatest tool ever when you have the bondo in that phase where it's still rubbery.

2012-07-01_13-53-08_775 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

Once I had the thickness I wanted and a decently level surface, I slapped on a layer of glazing putty just to even it out a little further.

2012-07-01_15-19-00_657 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

After that dried, I hit the whole thing with a soft block and some 60 grit paper. I also started roughing in the beveled edge that I want.

2012-07-01_18-30-28_530 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

It looks like one of the tips bowed out at some point, so I'll have to backfill that a touch and take down the top side to get the curve that I really want.

WOOT!! i'm sooo eagered to see the finish helm. Especially with the paint. Are you just making the helmet?

Very cool! I loved the origanal NES megaman games! Cant wait too see how this turns out

WOOT!! i'm sooo eagered to see the finish helm. Especially with the paint. Are you just making the helmet?
The plan is to do the whole costume. If I can find a children's skate helmet I'll make a Megaman costume for my son too.

thats dope.
Thanks! I just hope it turns out as good as it looks in my head :lol

Very cool! I loved the origanal NES megaman games! Cant wait too see how this turns out
Me too! 2 was my favorite, but Protoman is my favorite character, even though he didn't appear until 3

I am looking forward to seeing this progress. I can remember the old games too.

I would never take that helmet off.
There I go looking for a like button.

In all seriousness though, I'm going to see The Protomen here in Denver in less than a month and I really would like to have the costume ready in time for the show. Guess I better get my butt in gear. I got some work done today, mostly sanding and a layer of primer to help see the imperfections. Pics will come later when I'm home.

Looking cool!

I like how you are making it so it doesn't harm the base helmet, too.

Also the FOX tattoo is badass.

Nick

Here's the updated pics of the crest and ears. I still have some filling to do on the ears, and the shiny crap on the crest is superglue to fill some cracks and harden the paper that I sanded through. I need to do a little more work to fill a few imperfections, then I'll fill the gaps where the ears meet the helmet and make mounting points inside. I'm not going to work too hard on making everything perfect because I want it to look worn and beaten, but I do want to take care and make sure that it doesn't look like laziness.

2012-08-12_21-09-04_286 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

2012-08-12_21-09-34_837 by RoninsArt, on Flickr
Also, I decided to make my son a Megaman costume to complement my Protoman. Since he's 2 I didn't want to make anything that was too crazy. Luckily I found a sweet plush Megaman hat at a local store that specializes in anything animation related. Doesn't hurt that I'm friends with the owners either. :lol

2012-08-11_22-37-28_488 by RoninsArt, on Flickr
I picked up a pack of foam mats to make boot covers and the buster cannon, and otherwise he'll be wearing blue long johns and underoos.

Looking cool!

I like how you are making it so it doesn't harm the base helmet, too.

Also the FOX tattoo is badass.

Nick
And that's only half of the FOX tattoo. The other half is on the other arm.

2012-05-08_09-59-40_282 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

Oh, and the shirt underneath matches too.

2012-05-08_10-00-36_957 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

Re: Protoman! and child's Megaman build (Starting with a vintage HGU-26/P flight helm

So even though I'm on a bigger time crunch for the Protoman, I've been focusing more on my son's Megaman.

I picked up some white longjohns to dye light blue for the main body, and some foam to make the boots, arm bracer and buster cannon. The foam will be coated with felt to match the feel of the "helmet."
Here's a pic of my son wearing the boots. He absolutely LOVES them. Sorry I couldn't get a more detailed pic. Getting a 2 year old to stay still is nearly impossible.

Stirling's Megaman boots by RoninsArt, on Flickr

I still need to take the dremel to some of the edges and round them out a touch before covering, but they'll work quite well.

Re: Protoman! and child's Megaman build (Starting with a vintage HGU-26/P flight helm

Finished the hard parts of the Megaman costume. I need to dye a set of longjohns and a pair of underoos to the right colors to complete the outfit.

This pic shows the color better. You can see the boots and the bracer for the non gun arm. All freshly covered in bright blue felt.

2012-08-21_16-39-08_169 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

And this one shows the buster cannon with the other bits.

2012-08-21_17-25-45_948 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

I had my son try them on last night and I almost couldn't get him to take them off! :D
Unfortunately my phone was on the charger, so no pics.

That protoman helmet looks awesome, AND a bit like Viewtiful Joe.

I'm getting closer to painting the helmet! I filled the backside of the ear cups with bondo so that they make a clean seal against the helmet. I just need to block off a few mounting points inside and fill them with rondo to have something to drill/screw into. After that it's on to working out some kind of lighting if I have time.

The masking tape is there to prevent the bondo from permanently adhering itself to the helmet, because I want a flush fit, but I want to be able to return the helmet to original someday.

2012-08-25_10-51-49_612 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

workbench by RoninsArt, on Flickr

I also started working on the boots. I've decided to do a 2 part set with lower shoes and upper shin/knee guards for better moblity. I finished the lower shoe portion last night. I can actually slide my skate shoes in and out without issue, so no worries about using shoes that aren't broken in!

2012-08-27_22-37-42_14 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

2012-08-27_23-39-36_731 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

They still need to have the points and rough edges taken down with the dremel, but since I'm going to cover them with fabric or vinyl, I'm not going to worry about having a perfect surface.

Got quite a bit done over the long weekend. Not quite as much as I would have liked, mind you. :rolleyes

Boots are fully formed. I'm really happy with the shape that I got out of them. I had to trim up the bottom edge of the lower legs because they were a touch too long, but otherwise they came out perfect.

2012-08-30_22-30-50_967 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

I also managed to get some paint on the main helmet and crest. I tried the condiment method for battle damage. I can honestly say that I'm not impressed and I'll have to go back with some drybrushing to hide the atrocious mistakes.

2012-09-03_20-30-29_900 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

Luckily I did this before painting the main portion of the helmet.

2012-09-03_15-58-50_96 by RoninsArt, on Flickr

i love it mate very well done it looks amazing can i ask for a few tips though.
1: how did you you skin the boots iv made lots of things i want to skin before an i just have no idea how to do it any tips there would be great like how you get it to hold form smoothly with out wrinkles
and 2 im making a predator bio mask and i just cant get it to go smooth i body fill it and sand then body fill it then sand and im just having no luck. i keep sanding so much i go right through to the paper below and its still not smooth :( any help there would be great

The Megaman boots I skinned with felt and automotive spray glue. I used to do custom car stereo work and I just learned how to pull and stretch things before they make contact so that things look as clean and wrinkle free as possible.

As far as the body filler goes, you want to sand it to the shape you want, then use a glazing putty to fill in the rough sanding. Then you sand down the glazing putty with finer grit paper. After that you use a heavy build primer and sand that with even finer paper. I file the bondo to basic shape with a body file, sand to smooth with 60 grit, fill with glazing putty and sand with 220 grit (lather, rinse, repeat), then prime and sand with 320 grit (lather, rinse, repeat)

Then you start painting.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back