Subscribe
    From
    Maryland
    Jun 14, 2011, 6:12 PM - Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #1

Has anyone ever seen one of these up close? I'm trying to figure out the best material to use for the braiding/piping.

From
    Alexandria, Virginia USA
    Sep 23, 2011, 5:27 AM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #2

I have not seen The Village "wear" costumes, however the Portmeirion "The Prisoner Shop" sells replica Number Six-style blazers, on their website. Regretably the largesr size which they stock is US Size 44...
    Sep 23, 2011, 11:38 AM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #3

I have one and they did a nice job. Im currently in a middle of a move. When I get settled in I'll post pics.
    From
    Snowy Hoth
    Sep 23, 2011, 1:17 PM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #4

I had a look at the prisoner shop, unfortunately they dont do an XL version which is what I would need.
    I notice the colour quoted for their blazer is black. I understood it was actually dark brown as mentioned in this link.

Prisoner Costume
    From
    Maryland
    Sep 24, 2011, 1:10 PM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #5

I'm not a big fan of the "official" blazer - the lapels have a weird shape, and the braiding is unbroken...I know that McGoohan's did this in "Free for All", but I much prefer the notched braiding he wore the rest of the time. Plus, for a hundred and fifty quid, I dunno...
    Mar 23, 2012, 9:24 PM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #6

The blazers used on The Prisoner were custom-made regatta (or boating) blazers, dark brown in color with cream-colored braided trim. They were made from a fuzzy-textured material (probably melton wool) and had narrow lapels, three patch (not jetted) pockets, two front buttons, one button on each cuff, and no vents. The blazer used for the first location shoot in Portmeirion had continuous piping across the lapels, but for the rest of the production the blazers had a break in the piping at the lapel notch.

Finding a suitable blazer in dark brown is almost impossible, but since the blazer was designed to "read" as black with white piping on film, I think you're fine using a black blazer -- it's what everyone expects to see, after all.

As for the trim, I've found that using pure white comes off as a bit cartoonish, so I'd recommend going with something a bit off-white. I have a good close-up picture showing the texture of the trim on McGoohan's costume -- I'll scan and post it if anyone's interested.
    From
    Maryland
    Mar 23, 2012, 9:26 PM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #7

Dondragmer said: View Post
    The blazers used on The Prisoner were custom-made regatta (or boating) blazers, dark brown in color with cream-colored braided trim. They were made from a fuzzy-textured material (probably melton wool) and had narrow lapels, three patch (not jetted) pockets, two front buttons, one button on each cuff, and no vents. The blazer used for the first location shoot in Portmeirion had continuous piping across the lapels, but for the rest of the production the blazers had a break in the piping at the lapel notch.

Finding a suitable blazer in dark brown is almost impossible, but since the blazer was designed to "read" as black with white piping on film, I think you're fine using a black blazer -- it's what everyone expects to see, after all.

As for the trim, I've found that using pure white comes off as a bit cartoonish, so I'd recommend going with something a bit off-white. I have a good close-up picture showing the texture of the trim on McGoohan's costume -- I'll scan and post it if anyone's interested.
    This person is my new best friend!
  8. Member Since
    Jan 2010
    From
    Southern California
    Mar 24, 2012, 3:37 AM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #8

The blazers used on The Prisoner were custom-made regatta (or boating) blazers, dark brown in color with cream-colored braided trim. They were made from a fuzzy-textured material (probably melton wool) and had narrow lapels, three patch (not jetted) pockets, two front buttons, one button on each cuff, and no vents.
    Wow, thanks for the information! I had no idea the jacket was brown and cream.

Normally, I'm all for being as accurate as possible to the original costume, but in this case, I've had the image of a black and white jacket in my mind for decades, I might have to make a black and white jacket when I eventually do this costume. I'm torn between reality and my memory! Oh, the dilemma.
  9. micdavis is offline micdavis
    Mar 24, 2012, 5:01 AM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #9

A friend and I did these about 25 years ago.

Apr 26, 2012, 5:48 AM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #10

micdavis said: View Post
    A friend and I did these about 25 years ago.
    Wow, your costumes look great. Nice work!

Finally got around to scanning that close-up pic, here it is:

11. Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Nov 20, 2012, 3:53 PM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #11

As a fan of "The Prisoner," I have been following this thread about No. 6's blazer quite intently. Using the information that has been provided, I went down to a local thrift store and found a reasonable facsimile of the blazer. It is dark brown, appears to be wool, with narrow lapels. Only differences between this and the authentic version is it has 2 sleeve buttons, three front buttons, and a vent. Otherwise, it looks remarkably like the one worn by McGoohan. The jacket cost me only $6.99. So it is possible to find something similar to the classic Village jacket. I am now on the lookout for the braided piping. If anyone has any online hints as to where to find the material, please let me know.
    Nov 25, 2012, 6:32 PM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #12

What you're looking for is called "foldover braid." I got mine here, but they no longer offer Ivory, the color I used -- I've found that pure white is a bit too bright. The beige color they offer is too dark, and the ecru is too shiny. If you can't find any off-white braid, I'd recommend getting some white braid and dying it down just bit to take the edge off it.

The stuff frays like crazy, so buy extra and be careful to keep the ends taped at all times. (Also, be sure to wrap the braid with tape before cutting it.) If possible, I'd recommend closing the vent on your blazer. It'll make doing the back trim easier, and the rear of your jacket will look more screen-accurate.
    Last edited by Dondragmer; Nov 26, 2012 at 12:26 AM.
    From
    Maryland
    Feb 21, 2013, 1:42 PM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #13

What you're looking for is called "foldover braid." I got mine here, but they no longer offer Ivory, the color I used -- I've found that pure white is a bit too bright. The beige color they offer is too dark, and the ecru is too shiny. If you can't find any off-white braid, I'd recommend getting some white braid and dying it down just bit to take the edge off it.

The stuff frays like crazy, so buy extra and be careful to keep the ends taped at all times. (Also, be sure to wrap the braid with tape before cutting it.) If possible, I'd recommend closing the vent on your blazer. It'll make doing the back trim easier, and the rear of your jacket will look more screen-accurate.
    Thank you! Resurrecting this thread as we have bumped this project forward while waiting for another vendor to provide a pattern.

Would not have thought to use melton wool, will go fabric shopping at the weekend.
    From
    Maryland
    Dec 1, 2013, 1:12 PM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #14

Just going to bump this as we're finally getting round to it. Found a great dark brown fabric with the appropriate texture from an independent fabric shop here in Baltimore, and Joanne's had a good braiding. Getting the angle of the lapels I think is going to be the biggest challenge.
  15. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Mar 30, 2014, 2:24 PM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #15

Any movement on this...? I'd be interested in a near screen-accurate blazer.
  16. Member Since
    Oct 2014
    Oct 16, 2014, 11:22 AM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #16

Wonderful source of information here re the Blazer, but how about the rest of the outfit? Looks like cream chinos to me, and is that a navy t-shirt or sweater? I actually used to have a pair of runners (trainers) that were black with white shanks.
    Oct 17, 2014, 6:01 PM - Re: Prisoner (McGoohan) Blazer #17

The rest of the costume is easy: The trousers are tan with slightly angled front pockets (worn with a belt), and the jumper is a navy blue turtleneck. Shoes are lace-up navy blue deck shoes with white soles, white welts, and navy blue laces. Socks are brown or navy blue.