Our TDKR 'Bane' costume...

lharles

Sr Member
My first go at costuming. :)

Making this for my son who plans to wear it to Emerald City Comic-Con.

I've compiled multiple pics into one for now, (I've got a bunch more, plus my wife has some on her phone), as we're in the thick of construction.

Pretty much doing this from scratch based on screen caps, pics from the web, etc.

I haven't threaded a sewing machine in probably 20+ years, (since a home ec. class, long, long ago - :D ), so this has been interesting.

I've done most of the major sewing/construction with the exceptions being the bias tape on the completed under-vest & over-vest/chest piece, (my wife did these), & the assembly of the under-vest left/right/back panels, (again, done by my wife).

So, here's the pic for now. I'll post more as time allows.

attachment.php

{I'm currently taking two 1/4" pieces of brass & manually shaping them for the buckles o' the belt... :D}

A collage pic showing progress made.

Finished under-vest, (although it's basically showing the armor panel on the back & weathering), front/over-vest & weathering, belt buckles in raw brass state & nearly finished...

:)

attachment.php

...this is a TON of work. As with all the other things I've learned along thew way, building prop replicas, I realize now why costumes/costuming is spendy. :D

Current state: {Still have to finish the shoulder/chest belts, add guide straps to vests, & attempt some additional weathering...}

attachment.php

Any suggestions/thoughts on what we could do to improve the costume would be appreciated. :)

...of course, we've only got about 2.5 days to MAKE any changes, (so that my son can wear this thing to Emerald City Comic Con), so, keep that in mind. :D

I used my airbrush and browns/blacks to give it the weathered look, just go in the crevices and High "wear" areas. I have some shots of before and after of my vest I can post or send you if youd like

Aloha!

I HATE IT...Well...just look at my forum name and you'll know why!:rolleyes

JUST KIDDING, it's great considering it's your 1st costume build! Your son is fortunate to have talented parents!

Awaiting the end result!:popcorn

Take care!

Beautiful work! I agree with Rdmaul on the airbrush. Paste shoe polish works great (brown and black for grease and dirt). I also sponged ivory paint on the corners and edges of the armor panels to show wear and I found a little propane torch to be really helpful weathering any fabric pieces that are heavy and synthetic. Just get the flame close and it will darken and smooth the fabric. Obviously, go really carefully and have a bucket of water handy! Cheese graters and sanding blocks work well for weathering leather and natural fibers.

I used my airbrush and browns/blacks to give it the weathered look, just go in the crevices and High "wear" areas. I have some shots of before and after of my vest I can post or send you if youd like

I wish I had an airbrush! :) As it is, I've gotta' find more low-tech ways to finish the process.

{I'm having to go a little less than authentic on the pants & boots as it is due to basically running out of time. I want to get as close as possible on anything I can...}

Beautiful work! I agree with Rdmaul on the airbrush. Paste shoe polish works great (brown and black for grease and dirt). I also sponged ivory paint on the corners and edges of the armor panels to show wear and I found a little propane torch to be really helpful weathering any fabric pieces that are heavy and synthetic. Just get the flame close and it will darken and smooth the fabric. Obviously, go really carefully and have a bucket of water handy! Cheese graters and sanding blocks work well for weathering leather and natural fibers.

Shoe polish, eh? I used a lot of black shoe polish when I was in the service but otherwise I haven't used it in any prop builds. :) If you're using the polish for weathering is it more of just a gentle side to side application on the surface or more of a scrubbing it in? I mean, what's the most efficient way to prevent going too far on the color...?

I might try a little fire to get the color a little darker...but probably just something along the lines of a lighter. :D

I have been using a sanding block for the boots we're using & planned to give the over-vest a go with it but hadn't thought of a cheese grater...

Thanks for the info!

Put a little shoe polish on a cloth and rub it in to the costume. You can always add more and you can take it off pretty well with alcohol and a clean cloth. Gives the knees and elbows, for example, that shiny, greasy worn look.

I wish I had an airbrush! :) As it is, I've gotta' find more low-tech ways to finish the process.

{I'm having to go a little less than authentic on the pants & boots as it is due to basically running out of time. I want to get as close as possible on anything I can...}

I use a wire brush (looks like a tooth brush) to wear down the fabric (wont work well on vinyl or pu, use on cotton or similar)and watered down dark brown acrylic applied with a cotton ball or sponge i found does a nice job of giving it a dirty used look (practice on leftover scraps. Depending on your fabric, pure or watered down bleach can lighten the edges to look like the sun has effected it which can also age it. (Rinse thouroughly and hang dry) I want an airbrush too, till then thats the tips I can give :)

Put a little shoe polish on a cloth and rub it in to the costume. You can always add more and you can take it off pretty well with alcohol and a clean cloth. Gives the knees and elbows, for example, that shiny, greasy worn look.

Thanks. :) I'll give it a try. I've got some excess fabric of the same type/color I used for the belt...

I use a wire brush (looks like a tooth brush) to wear down the fabric (wont work well on vinyl or pu, use on cotton or similar)and watered down dark brown acrylic applied with a cotton ball or sponge i found does a nice job of giving it a dirty used look (practice on leftover scraps. Depending on your fabric, pure or watered down bleach can lighten the edges to look like the sun has effected it which can also age it. (Rinse thouroughly and hang dry) I want an airbrush too, till then thats the tips I can give :)

Thanks! I may add a go with the wire brush to the process... :)

Nearly done with the whole get up, {still have to do the weathering I was discussing with folks in the thread... :) }...

Vambrace/gauntlet made from leather scraps from a leather place we live not too far from. Used to be a tannery. {shrug}

Mask was an unpainted urethane mask from eBay. We were working on our own mask build, (& will probably still finish that OR modify the mask for this costume to improve the accuracy), but once we had a time we had to get this done by - we had to scrap work on that to address the costume. The mask is pretty accurate with the exception of the size/placement of some of the 'tubes' at the front. It's painted to match the screen shots/photos we have, as closely as possible & more than acceptable, I think.

{...put a larger image of the current get-up in the attachments, too.}

attachment.php

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back