No more dreads!!! (Would you believe ANOTHER Jack Sparrow)

pinder91

Sr Member
I know, right? Another Jack Sparrow?!?!?!

I've been working on this for about a year and a half now. Didn't get even close to having it ready for last halloween, so I gave up for awhile. Well with the hype building for OST I decided to kick it up a notch for this year.

Anyway, I recently "finished" all of my dreads using yet another technique. I've tried wool roving, straight kanekalon braid, neither was producing the desired effect. Well, I gave the afro kinky "Bob Marley" braids a shot... this is what resulted.
This shows the brands and colors I used.
IMG00155-20100930-1817copy.jpg

Decent pic showing the texture.
IMG00161-20100930-1820.jpg

I love how they turned out, but my hands are killing me! And yeah, I'm just going to apologize for the cell phone pics right now. It's all I've got. :(

Well I guess I should get started on sewing these to the wig...

They look great. I would like to see more on your progress as I too am making a Jack Sparrow costume (yes, yet another Jack:lol). I have watched Capn Jack Savvy's vids on making the dreads and was thinking my hands are going to be a lot stronger after all this, now I know it will.

I actually tried Capn_Jack_Savvy's method first. What I ended up with was more like a burnt marshmallow (crispy on the outside, soft on the inside) than a dreadlock. His looked WAY better than mine, so I gave up and tried out the wool technique. Those looked more like sausages made from felt. Pretty much the day I gave up and was about to buy a set, this was posted on Keep To The Code... Keep To The Code :: View topic - New dread making technique

This is definitely my preferred method, and I'll be using it to make some blonde dreads for an OST wig for the premier.

Why not put up some more poorly light pictures since I'm still at it?

IMG00128-20100907-2133-1.jpg

IMG00121-20100907-2128-1.jpg

IMG00123-20100907-2129.jpg

IMG00133-20100907-2136-1.jpg

IMG00134-20100907-2137.jpg

I made the shirt and waistcoat myself. They just need some weathering. The sash is the IKEA curtain I bought years ago. It's been through bleach, tea, and paint. I made the palm glove, though I think it needs to be dyed darker. The wristwrap was made from a strip of black linen that I frayed (pain in the a$$).

That waistcoat looks great. I hope I can get mine to look that good.

I was in Sally's buying extension glue, eye liner, and spray on tan (that's a receipt for the scrap book) and saw how cheap kanekalon hair is, thought about giving the wig a shot myself and passing on my Yordreem one after Halloween. Maybe....

Where did you find the Janet's Collection in light brown?

The singing technique for the dreads is only to get rid of those hair dangles that just don't want to go away. It wasn't really meant to make crispy marshmellows. Perhaps you put the dreads too close to the fire?

I have moved away from my old methods too and have gone 100% Afro Kinky with the exception of the blonde. I haven't been able to find any brand in the blonde Afro Kinky style so I had to end up using straight Kanekalon. I've tried the pervious method of using the hook on human hair but it doesn't work too well. Broken hooks and human hair wefts available only come in 18 inch length max!

Thanks for the compliments!

The waistcoat was fun to make, but now that I'm weathering it, I'm getting more of a purple than a blue...

Capn_Jack, I tried holding the fire farther away, but I couldn't find a happy medium. There is a local beauty supply that has almost every color (they don't carry #6) of the Janet collection available in the afro kinky (yes blonde as well) with an inventory for days. I was planning on using it for my OST wig when the time comes. Oh, and did you get my pm's and payment for the wig dangles?

Looking good. I did see that thread on KTTC and gonna give that a try too, since everyone is getting good results. But time is short and probably not going to be able to finish this project by Halloween but I'll have a good head start for next year. I'm just doing the best I can for this year, maybe beach Jack since I have all that together and my budget is dwindling, geez I had to choose a costume with so many details.:unsure

Thanks, guys! I really wish my pics weren't so crappy. The Vienna collection seemed to give me a better "crimped" look to my dreads, although that may have to do with the fact that I tried that brand first while I was developing my "dreading" technique.

The Janet Collection was much easier to brush out and backcomb.

Time for an update!

I'm making progress on the vest weathering. It still looks too purple to me (at least in person) so I may try and brush on some blue dye.
IMG00170-20101004-1644.jpg

The Zizzle flintlock, Disguise cutlass, and Disney Store compass during upgrading. I'm sanding and filling all seams on the weapons so they look as real as possible. I've also loaded the handle of the sword with bb's in order to add weight. This has moved the balance point a good inch and a half closer to the hilt. The pistol has also been loaded with bb's and the trigger shaved to a more accurate shape.
IMG00167-20101004-1640.jpg

IMG00169-20101004-1641.jpg

IMG00168-20101004-1641.jpg

I still need to hit the compass with a brown wash before I seal it with polyurethane. I have added magnets under the compass dial so I can manipulate it from underneath. All of the "inlays" are strips of styrene that have been super glued on. I felt it gives a better feel than just painting them on. I also added a real hinge since the plastic one was not working for me.

I wish I could post this up on KTTC, but every login attempt loads a blank white screen.

...And its time for bed. Got all the dreads sewn in except for those that go in the pony tail. Just need to adjust the length of a few of the others, trim up the loose hair, and tie in some dangles whenever they arrive.
IMG00176-20101005-0125.jpg

Last edited:
Good news!!! CABoots just sent me a tracking number for my customs!!! Should be here Friday.

Got some more compass weathering done before class tonight.
IMG00178-20101005-2048.jpg

IMG00177-20101005-2048.jpg

Close up of the deer skin I used.
IMG00179-20101005-2049.jpg

I've still got to paint up the inside and add some stars, put on the latch and ring, and then seal it. Almost done!

I like your styrene idea. I was going to do it that way, but thought the styrene I had was way too thick. I managed to get some really nice texture to it by masking each piece individually though. (took weeks to paint as a result)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back